My 2nd and maybe last attempt wish me luck

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am attempting to successfully keep a red lined wrasse. My local fish stores only carry six line, yellow, and a few other wrasses so to get one I wanted I’ve had to have them shipped. My first attempt failed. The fish arrived in poor shape and was floating upside down but alive. I acclimated him slowly and thought there was a chance I could save him. Once released he swam to the bottom looking fine and then farted in the sand “normal” I’m told. Well I tried to look for him the next day and nothing. Later that night I seen him lying dead on the bottom and felt horrible about the situation. Well I decided to try again and had one delivered today. However, almost the same situation has occurred. He was stuck to the side of the bag not moving as I started acclimating and eventually was upside down not really moving.So I tried to speed up the acclimating process a little. He eventually started swimming a little in the bag then returned to laying against the side. Once I got the salinity matched I decided to release him. Guess what happened next! He darted under the sand and is hiding so I’ll have to wait and see with fingers crossed. If he doesn’t make it “he will” positive thinking, then I probably won’t try again. Wish me luck

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers crossed, good luck! :) Definitely share some pictures of him when you can get em ;)

YellowFinsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses can be like that. I tried 9 red tail tamarins @ $100ea before I got 2 to survive.

I'm on my 6th red lined wrasse and this one seems to be healthy. Let's hope it makes it.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who told you it’s normal for them to fart in the sand upon release?

OP
OP
adam finley

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read on here several times that it’s pretty common for them to hide in the sand for several days or even weeks until they feel comfortable coming out.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read on here several times that it’s pretty common for them to hide in the sand for several days or even weeks until they feel comfortable coming out.

It was a joke, playing off your OG post, but no one laughed [emoji19]

OP
OP
adam finley

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good news so far. I came home today and my little girl “ female wrasse” was out swimming around a little. I tried to feed her but don’t think she ate anything. However, overall she seemed kinda healthy so maybe tomorrow or the next couple of days she’ll eat.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an encouraging report. Some fish take a few days before they start to feed energetically.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't heard about Red Lined Wrasses having difficulty shipping. I really hope it makes it.

OP
OP
adam finley

adam finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks buddy. The first died in a little over a day. It wasn’t doing good when it arrived and I probably compounded the problem by doing a full acclimation time. This last one wasn’t in much better condition but I acclimated it in about half the time. It’s actually doing good so far. After spending the first day in hiding it has come out the last 2 swimming through the day.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back