My 300 Gallon reef Tank Build

keryt912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, I have the tank, which is 73"30"x31". I got the tank second hand, with a stand and canopy. It was set up for fresh water so I started from scratch.
I have a long way to go, but I have the tank, which is good. lol
I am almost finished building the stand, I oversized it a bit so that I could get inside of the tank. The stand is 77-1/2" X 35" wide X 33" tall.
I am waiting on my sump to come in, it is a Tideline 72 which is 72" long X 22" wide and 18" tall.

I have the Jebao 18000 return pump which will come nest and the Aqua Excel EC-40 Skimmer which will come after that.

I know that is not a lot, but open to suggestions on equipment any one thinks I need.

I will post pics as I go if interested.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use that same return pump, and think it’s great for the price. However, it’s pushing 17 feet of head (basement sump room below DT) and it’s getting about 1/2 the expected flow. About 1900 gph. Still way more than I need, but just be aware that the stats in the box are ‘optimistic’. The controller box buttons are also ‘pushless’ if that makes sense and have no tactile feedback that you pushed it successfully. Also, could use a proper off/on button too- pulling the plug during testing to shut it down is a pain.

Good luck with your build!

OP
OP
K

keryt912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a little bit excited. My sump has finally arrived. I picked it up yesterday and it is HUGE....LOL I know it is kinda plain looking, but I think it looks awesome.
It is the Tideline 72, made by Trigger Systems. It is 72" long, 22" wide and 18" tall. It will hold 100 gallons of water. I will be working on paint the inside of the stand next, then rig up the lights in the stand so that when I open any door, the lights will turn on and turn off.
I am new here, but I will try to upload some pictures.

stand.jpg

sump1.jpg

sump2.jpg

sump3.jpg

sump4.jpg

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, very nice sump! Stand looks great too! What is the stocking plan and how will you be lighting it?

OP
OP
K

keryt912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. As for as the stocking plane go, I am still working on it. I know that I want different varieties of fish, some schooling and some that just roam the tank. I do know that I want some, 3 maybe 5, yellow tangs, and yes, I have read that you should not put that many tangs in one tank, bit with a tank that size I am thinking it will work. I want some clown fish, but won't add those till the tank has been up for at least 6 to 9 months old so I can add an anemone or 2 to host them. I do want a blue hippo tang, but that will be further down the line when I am comfortable with my system. When it comes to corals, I am still researching what I can put in at first that I like. Any suggestions are most welcome. After that I will play it by ear as to what else goes into it. I am still very stuck on the rocks. I want pukani, reef saver and I am thinking about some Marco Rocks also.
Any suggestions are more then welcome and greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
K

keryt912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to say, but no updates. It has been a rough 6 months for me. I was rushed to the hospital on June 26th, I remember s few things about that day, but not a lot. I woke up 4 days later and ended up staying in the hospital for 11 days. When I got discharged, I spent a month or so at my brothers till I got strong enough to get into my house and live alone. I am on oxygen 24/7, a few more meds and am unable to return to work, or work anywhere else. I have been busy applying to the programs and trying to get on SSI Disability. I have a meeting with them on Tuesday. Therefore things have come to a halt on the tank build until I find out a few answers. Hopefully it will resume in January if things go well for me. As far as medical issues, all the doctors have told me is the I have severe pulmonary conditions and dependent on supplemental oxygen because of chronic respiratory failure and a severe neurologic condition causing foot drop which means I can't feel my right foot up too my knee. I am hoping for the best, I so want to get my tank up and going. I hate to think that I may have to get rid of it, but if I can't get the rest of the things I need to set it up there is no need in keeping it. I will keep you posted either way, weather I can keep it or not. Thanks for your interest, kinda made my day...

twpilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came across this thread. I'm really hoping the best for you and hope you get well. You have a great start to what looks like will be an awesome tank!!!! I don't know you but my prayers and thoughts are with you to get better so you can continue on. keep your spirits up!!!

OP
OP
K

keryt912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the kind thoughts. I am planning on continuing with the build, it is just going to take a little linger, that is the way I am looking at it. hanks for the thoughts and prayers even though you don't know me.

twpilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I know you now .... what kind of stuff are you wanting to keep in this tank? SPS ,LPS softies or all the above? I hope to have a big tank someday like you. keep it going . some times slow is a good thing especially in reef tanks

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to say, but no updates. It has been a rough 6 months for me. I was rushed to the hospital on June 26th, I remember s few things about that day, but not a lot. I woke up 4 days later and ended up staying in the hospital for 11 days. When I got discharged, I spent a month or so at my brothers till I got strong enough to get into my house and live alone. I am on oxygen 24/7, a few more meds and am unable to return to work, or work anywhere else. I have been busy applying to the programs and trying to get on SSI Disability. I have a meeting with them on Tuesday. Therefore things have come to a halt on the tank build until I find out a few answers. Hopefully it will resume in January if things go well for me. As far as medical issues, all the doctors have told me is the I have severe pulmonary conditions and dependent on supplemental oxygen because of chronic respiratory failure and a severe neurologic condition causing foot drop which means I can't feel my right foot up too my knee. I am hoping for the best, I so want to get my tank up and going. I hate to think that I may have to get rid of it, but if I can't get the rest of the things I need to set it up there is no need in keeping it. I will keep you posted either way, weather I can keep it or not. Thanks for your interest, kinda made my day...
So sorry to hear :( I hope you're feeling better and back on your feet soon :)

OP
OP
K

keryt912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I know you now .... what kind of stuff are you wanting to keep in this tank? SPS ,LPS softies or all the above? I hope to have a big tank someday like you. keep it going . some times slow is a good thing especially in reef tanks
I am still working on the stocking list for the tank. I want to get the aquascape done first, then I am going to work on the corals that I want to put in the tank. You most likely got it right whrn you said all of the above. And of course there will be fish also.

OP
OP
K

keryt912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates ?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck to you. Hope that diasability comes through.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hopefully the tank one day can be a distraction from them as has been the case for so many others.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby-steps on your health, and baby-steps on your tank... but I bet the tank would prove to be some “good medicine” for your mind and heart. Maybe scale back to a FOWLR to start? We’re pulling for you!

OP
OP
K

keryt912

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the encouraging words. It has taken me some time, but I got the itch back so to speak. I have some base rock on the way and I am getting ready to order more rock. I also have a 75 gallon tank that I set up for my best friend, but unfortunately she passed away last March and her son gave me the setup.
I am going to try to get that one set up and take my time with the 300. I will post some pics soon. Sorry that I have not posted anything in a while, still trying to adjust.
Once again, thanks for all of the encouragement.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back