OP
aquarius77

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pepino, its doing better still a long way to go to what i envision but im working on it.

Reef-nut, I love rics too, sadly i sold my 29g biocube which was all softies and had all my prize stuff in it. Cool thing is i sold it to my neighbor on the condition that i get 1 frag of everything i want out of it for helping him take care of it while he learns about stuff, plus i sold it for less than the rock cost that was in it. No big deal though, i go look at it at least once every other day and i have plenty of frags comin. :xd:

Tank update:

I took my nana colony and the tableing mille colony and gave them to a club member, was getting tough keeping up with their growth rate in my small tank, it just did not look like i wanted it too with the stuff in there and it drives me mad to see a coral that looks like it has been logged out, i just like to see em grow! I am getting alge in check, parameters always seem in check so im going to blame the bulbs and the overload of fish(food) going in as the main source for the alge. I am down to 6 fish now and have cut back feeding ten fold, i never add any selcon or aminos to the foods anymore and wont untill i feel it is needed. I am still doing large water changes and i have a reactor full of carbon and im also running 90 grams of phosar hc in a tlf reactor. When i decided to tackle the issue of the alge and brown corals i think i went a little too fast, a combo of 2 carbon reactors, 200g of phosar and changing out 60 gallons of water was not the smartest thing i could have done, a few sps got upset and are showing me some stress but the majority seem to appreciate my efforts, im wondering if i was not running the flow to the medias too fast and grinding them into powder wich settled on some corals? I run the output from the reactors through a 10 micron sock and i turned it solid black. I have since slowed down on the flow and the socks are staying white.

Some pics from today, i want to put a background on the tank but im not sure what color. I tired letting it cover in coraline and it worked for a while but eveuntally looked nasty to me.

fts
forkev3.jpg

figure ill show off my monties they are doing good for me right now.

baby blue polyp cap on left purple on right
100_2734.jpg

sweet green with lime/white polyps on right, purple again too
100_2735.jpg

leng sy(no lineage, but was given to me as)
100_2738.jpg

deep blue polyps, grows insane, i have to cut it back weekly from this acro next to it
100_2741.jpg

an orange unknown, this is one of the sps that got a little upset with me. Its very slow to grow but has been steady since i aquired a tiny little piece wich you can see in the middle of the disk its covering, any id ideas, i know its small the stuff was branching(sorta) where i got it from but its done nothing but encrust for me.
100_2725.jpg

Let me know what ya think.

Last edited:

tater11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang kev awesome pics.maybe i can talk you into coming over and take some of ours..

OP
OP
aquarius77

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a P&S kodak easy share, with a broken flash, some are with my tripod some arent. A photobox would help.

kraash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that your orange unknow is Porites, it look identical to my small colony that incrusts more than branches.

How's the new frags doing? I think you will be very happy with that teal stag once it grows out for ya!

OP
OP
aquarius77

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been meaning to ask you what you gave me, the tiny piece already on rock, what was that? Im liking the new frags a bunch!! The blue tip green slimer is really interesting to me and already taking off with growth, i dont think its a green slimer at all wich is why its so interesting to me idk, but it looks good. The digi is sweet and looks real good as well as that thick thing you got me from up top. The small one on rock has shown 0 polyp extension, its not looking rough i dont think but i cant find the polyps.
I think its a monti of some sort but i appreciate the Porites input, i had not considered that but you may very well be right.

OP
OP
aquarius77

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea, I think its a monti because it had monti nudis on it at its former residence and they have nearly destroyed it now because he never took any real action to rectify the situation.

kraash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tiny piece already on the rock is a frag of the ORA teal staghorn. The polyps are small and I don't see them out alot on the mother, but it is growing so they are out sometime :)

kraash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that's it, give it higher light and the whole thing will be turquoise!

I mounted the frag we traded in the main display, seems to be turning purple! Like you said, it has potential!!!!!

OP
OP
aquarius77

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far you are the first to ever get ahold of that coral, one day its gonna be super sweet i promise. It has been through alot of changes since i started growing it, my tank is just starting to come around so we will see.
Change them bulbs already, raise em up a foot and see what happens.

OP
OP
aquarius77

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a cruddy update::too_sad:

I tried to drill my sump because, well, overflow boxes dont work in the long run and are more headache than i was willing to endure. We werent going to drain the sump all the way and planed on leaving the rock and sand in there... The tank was tempered:eek:ps:.... It blew out spilling insane amounts of water all over my basement.

I am now running a 20g sump on a 30 gal breeder display and the sump is JAMMED with the most porus rock i had out of all of it, i have the return pump in there and the skimmer pump and return output for the skimmer. I got a aqua c ev 150 skimmer now and this should get interesting. The system is now completely bare bottom and probally has about 40 gals of volume in total. The skimmer is rated for a much larger system so i hope this will work out.
Bare bottom scares me, im worried about keeping my parameters somewhat stable because my display is jam packed with sps colonies. Any bare bottom folks care to give me some advice?

OP
OP
aquarius77

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts from anyone at all??
I could use some reassurance here or at least tell me ya think im screwed and need to go get a new sump asap.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine since all of the rock is well seeded with bacteria and is still in the system.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went BB from a 2 year old DSB in my SPS dominant display during a move. I didn't want to risk the DSB sliding or moving at all, as this would crash the tank when I re-set it up (bacteria levels moving around). Initially I was very nervous as well, but all has been pretty good... I did end up using a filter sock to help catch detrius that collected on the BB, along with a MaxiJet that blows right across the bottom keeping all particles in suspension.

If your real worried about it, I'd check your local forum (or call reefer buddy) for a lil bigger sump and you can add a RDSB if you'd like... but you should be OK!

Here's a thread with some info that could be of use to you (lots of great info): http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=650985&highlight=how+to+go+barebottom It's the "How to go BB" thread that lays out the procedure to take your existing aquarium with either a SSB or DSB and turn it BB. Was a big deal when everyone was talking of going BB a while back.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back