My 32G Flex

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my second attempt at a saltwater tank. initially, I kept saying it was going to be a FOWLR because I had such a rough go on my first try. That's no longer the plan, but currently no corals. The plan now is to get all the fishes I want, then get corals that don't require extra feeding or anything, easy mode things.

My setup initially is:
32.5G Fluval Flex (freshwater version)
-Removed all sponges and media from the rear compartment
Fluval M100 heater
Fluval 307 Canister filter
~15lbs Caribsea South Seas base rock
~25lbs Caribsea Aragonite Sand
Express Water RO system
Currently has all of that and added 2 current USA 660gph wavemakers (the stupid stock return pump was sooooo loud)
Plus about another 5lbs of rock

Plan for stocking:
Two clownfish (in now)
1 Purple Firefish
undecided as can be, was going to be a dwarf flame angel, but I want coral now.

Day 1: ~ 5.5 weeks ago
Too pretty

IMG-0216.jpg

Piranna tank...;Vamp
IMG-0217.jpg

IMG-0218.jpg
2(ish) weeks ago...
Added my two clownfish
IMG-0223.jpg

Tank as of now.
Added in 4 hermit crabs when diatoms began to show.
IMG-0248.jpg
IMG-0245.jpg

Update #1:
The Diatoms are retreating now. That means (assuming) the scary cyano phase is coming next. I hate the stuff, hope it doesn't last.

I got my new Kraken Reef lid and am loving it. Temps are far more stable now. I also removed the fake seaweed, upgraded the light and got some mount arms for the new light, I also repositioned my wavemakers to the back wall.

New additions (critter wise): added a few more hermits, 5 Cerith snails, 3 Nassarius snails 1 Firefish and 1 Yellow Watchman Goby.

Here's the new lid, ended up getting a bigger version of the light in this picture, Fluval Marine 3.0, I wanted it up off the tank a bit.
new lid.jpg

And here is a tank shot as of tonight:
IMG-0293.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
kamehameha

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I add any coral I am waiting on a new lid from Krakenreef. I tried to make my own out of window screen materials, but I suck at crafting things, so I'm paying someone else to do it for me. Once that's in I can use my better light and get some coral in there!

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I add any coral I am waiting on a new lid from Krakenreef. I tried to make my own out of window screen materials, but I suck at crafting things, so I'm paying someone else to do it for me. Once that's in I can use my better light and get some coral in there!
What I did for mine was using an acrylic sheet cut with a multitool. Depending on where you live (how many days/year does your tank stays above your set temperature) I would consider using a lid and not mesh, despite what everyone here says. Mesh means more evaporation, then you need an ATO, refill often the RO container and depending on how ventilated is your house, probelms with molds and humidity. With the lid I almost never refill with RO, and one thing less in your tank means that you have one variable less (something that could potentially break and flood your flat/kill your stock)

OP
OP
kamehameha

kamehameha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did for mine was using an acrylic sheet cut with a multitool. Depending on where you live (how many days/year does your tank stays above your set temperature) I would consider using a lid and not mesh, despite what everyone here says. Mesh means more evaporation, then you need an ATO, refill often the RO container and depending on how ventilated is your house, probelms with molds and humidity. With the lid I almost never refill with RO, and one thing less in your tank means that you have one variable less (something that could potentially break and flood your flat/kill your stock)
Unfortunately where I live the temps in the summer are around 90f on average and we get up to the high 90s and low hundreds a few days. In the winter it gets well below freezing too, so in the winter the full hood would be great. I still had to top off every other day just about with the full hood on though, so it doesn't seem to have made too much of a difference there.

blackstrat77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my second attempt at a saltwater tank. initially, I kept saying it was going to be a FOWLR because I had such a rough go on my first try. That's no longer the plan, but currently no corals. The plan now is to get all the fishes I want, then get corals that don't require extra feeding or anything, easy mode things.

My setup initially is:
32.5G Fluval Flex (freshwater version)
-Removed all sponges and media from the rear compartment
Fluval M100 heater
Fluval 307 Canister filter
~15lbs Caribsea South Seas base rock
~25lbs Caribsea Aragonite Sand
Express Water RO system
Currently has all of that and added 2 current USA 660gph wavemakers (the stupid stock return pump was sooooo loud)
Plus about another 5lbs of rock

Plan for stocking:
Two clownfish (in now)
1 Purple Firefish
undecided as can be, was going to be a dwarf flame angel, but I want coral now.

Day 1: ~ 5.5 weeks ago
Too pretty

IMG-0216.jpg

Piranna tank...;Vamp
IMG-0217.jpg

IMG-0218.jpg
2(ish) weeks ago...
Added my two clownfish
IMG-0223.jpg

Tank as of now.
Added in 4 hermit crabs when diatoms began to show.
IMG-0248.jpg
IMG-0245.jpg

Update #1:
The Diatoms are retreating now. That means (assuming) the scary cyano phase is coming next. I hate the stuff, hope it doesn't last.

I got my new Kraken Reef lid and am loving it. Temps are far more stable now. I also removed the fake seaweed, upgraded the light and got some mount arms for the new light, I also repositioned my wavemakers to the back wall.

New additions (critter wise): added a few more hermits, 5 Cerith snails, 3 Nassarius snails 1 Firefish and 1 Yellow Watchman Goby.

Here's the new lid, ended up getting a bigger version of the light in this picture, Fluval Marine 3.0, I wanted it up off the tank a bit.
new lid.jpg

And here is a tank shot as of tonight:
IMG-0293.jpg
Looks great! I am getting the fluvall 307 myself but I am a little concerned with the intake tube. Do you have any issues with snails or fish getting stuck on it?

Back