My 36" nano build (not Mr. Aqua)

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR readings from the main and fuge lights coming soon!

I'm not sure if you currently have water in your setup but remember par readings are different in air vs through water so you may want to fill the tank and fuge to get an accurate test

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the input. Yes, there is water in the main display. However, I'm gonna take a page out of BRS book and test the fuge lights without water because the chaeto floats.

To be honest I have only seen a PAR meter demo once, so this will be a learning adventure. [emoji16]

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the input. Yes, there is water in the main display. However, I'm gonna take a page out of BRS book and test the fuge lights without water because the chaeto floats.

To be honest I have only seen a PAR meter demo once, so this will be a learning adventure. [emoji16]
Its easy. Load the software. Open the app. Connect the PAR sensor to the computer via USB. Hold the sensor, sensor side up, underwater where you want the reading. It will show PAR along with some spectrum data. I did bring a USB extension cable to give you so you have a little more length.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to brew12 for the use of the PAR meter. I have discovered that I will need to lower the display lights quite a bit and test again. I am going to add another set of LEDs to the fuge and test again as well. I think between the two I will be right on track for my stock list.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lowered the lights and remeasured. Wow! What a difference. The PAR almost tripled just dropping it down to 6" above the water.

38d648f0397a91ab29274f34020d4f52.jpg

I love the glowing fixtures.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lowered the lights and remeasured. Wow! What a difference. The PAR almost tripled just dropping it down to 6" above the water.

38d648f0397a91ab29274f34020d4f52.jpg

I love the glowing fixtures.
Water is not PAR's friend!!! :p

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put the right hand archway and the island in the water last night to get a more accurate measure of PAR where the corals will be located.
(Sorry, I only have two hands so I couldn't take pics as I went along)
water level: 387
2" under: 301
5" under 232
8" under 166
These numbers are following the arch down.

I might drop the lights another 1.5" to get into my targeted range of 325 down to 200.

In the center of the tank on the bottom to the top of the island, I am getting 97-122 with the sensor angled towards the left light pod. So, there will have to be something really low light on the island. I was hoping to make a center piece of green slimmer. I would have to add a third pod and another driver for that. Maybe a future project?

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am going to pack everything up and put it into storage so I can paint the stand and the poles for the lights. It will all be wrapped in plastic, boxed up and kept safe until the flooring gets done.

This week we have done the stand swap for my son's 30 gallon FW and am swapping the corner bow out for him to run FW in it as well. I will house the couple fish, some rock and few frags in a temporary holding tank while I pull the 55 from in the wall. This tank will be drilled at both ends and a sump built while the cabinet surrounding it is painted and I cook most of the rock.

By that time, hopefully, the flooring will have started.

I will post some of the updates to the "Great Swap-out Event of 2018" as it goes along and then get back on the updates for this tank.

Wish me luck!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It has been a pleasure to be able to take my time and be able to revamp where necessary.

But, now I'm itching to get it running!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That reminds me. I forgot to post that I did go ahead and lower the lights and test one more time.

Don't have the exact numbers in front of me but it was about a 5% increase.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Great swap out event has begun! No need to start a thread about it, no way we could have taken pics during the action, but, it means I am one step closer to being back on this build.

Last week we built a different stand for my son's 30 long planted tank in his room and swapped it over. In the midst of that, was a 100% water change and rearranging all the furniture in his room and relocating the display shelf for his self built AR.

Basically we moved the rock, corals and fish from the corner bow to a temporary tank. Took down the corner tank, cleaned it thoroughly, moved it to my son's room and prepped it for freshwater planted setup. As soon as we can move the fish out of the through wall tank into his room, I will start on the buildup of the FOWLR in that tank. So basically, before this is over with, we will have messed with every tank in the house and added a new one. LOL

All of this in the middle of a remodel. Have I mentioned that I am tired?

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the through wall is now going to be a just a plain old 55. LOL

We decided since we are going to sell the house in a couple years, that we should drywall the opening before we painted the living room.

The good news is I will have plenty more room for a sump. I am using another 55 someone is giving me. I guess I should start a thread since the 55 is now a total start from scratch.

The flooring got put on hold again so the 36" nano got delayed...AGAIN!

:)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back