My 40 breeder project with custom LED lighting

notwithit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my new project. It will take quite a while but I'm excited to get it started.

I got the 40b and the 20 from the dollar per gallon sale at petco.

20gwater.jpg

40gwater.jpg

Been working on my LED setup for a few weeks now, and it's definately getting closer to being done.

Heatsink is 8.5" x 32"
heatsink.jpg

The LED's are all wired up for the box.
ledpatternfull.jpg

Also, here is how far I've gotten on the box.
3wallsdone.jpg

I'm not sure what way I'd like to plumb the aquarium yet, but it'll get done sometime soon.

Any suggestions? Questions? Ideas? Talk to me peoples!

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet... !! i started of trigger happy and turn up my LEd all the way and bleach them LPs real quick.. :cry:

LEarn from others mistake.. like Idiot me.. 1smile1

OP
OP
N

notwithit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bayreefer! The idea behind it is to have a very high intensity area that fades into a low intensity place that allows for quite a high variation of output and hopefully makes it look sweet! The wifes idea :-D

OP
OP
N

notwithit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, thanks for all the responses! Thats overwhelming already! Much appreciated!

I will be drilling the top tomorrow for fans and finishing sanding the edges for nicer alignment, if all goes well!

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bayreefer! The idea behind it is to have a very high intensity area that fades into a low intensity place that allows for quite a high variation of output and hopefully makes it look sweet! The wifes idea :-D
Does your wife have a sister??:D

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R bro! It's great to have you here!

OP
OP
N

notwithit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New pictures. Got more of the light fixture done today.. Got a bit ****** off because the acrylic cracked a little when I was trying to make a hole, but thats ok, its hard to notice after I get it buffed out again.

Showing driver placement, I have four to place.

withdrivers.jpg

Shows the plug I cracked. "sigh"
plug2.jpg

Need to resolder this male plug, but this is how it'll look and with heatshrink tube over the back part to keep it solid.
plug.jpg

This is the dim side on with 80 degree optics. Once I get it hung over the tank I'll decide whether or not to take the optics off.
onesideon2.jpg

onesideon.jpg

This is the dim side without optics
nolenses.jpg

OP
OP
N

notwithit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First ever attempt with a breadboard. I'll be gluing the wires down once it gets all set up into place where I want them to be. Wish I had a smaller tip on my solder gun.

breadboardtop.jpg

breadboardsolder.jpg

Case is mostly done
box4sides.jpg

So left to do now is to put two pieces of acrylic across the middle of the box to support the heatsink weight when turned upsidedown, and to screw the heatsink onto the board. I think this fixture will hang from the ceiling since I don't really know how I'd make it sit on the tank yet. Will think of ideas for later, but for now hanging off the ceiling will work just fine.

I'll be adding fans to it once I get a bit more "fish money" and then onto the tank plumbing and filtration I go!

OP
OP
N

notwithit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ran into a snag. For some reason my pots aren't working correctly even though they did the first time I plugged it all in before being in the box. Soooooo going to have to rewire the pots and hope that all works how it should, "cross fingers". New pictures sometime soon.

OP
OP
N

notwithit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres some new pics.

Attachments

• bright light.jpg
    bright light.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 137
  • plug holes.jpg
    plug holes.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 2010-07-13_17.19.15.jpg
    2010-07-13_17.19.15.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 111
  • plug2.jpg
    plug2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 104
  • dimmerwire.jpg
    dimmerwire.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
N

notwithit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last to do is put the clear cover on and get a 12 volt wallwart for the fans and then onto the plumbing and stand building!!!

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice build
really like you inovative use of LED's to create intensity variation throughout the tank

Dasani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing a similar build. I have a 40B. Gonna use my current tank (20H) as the sump. I am also going to do a custom LED fixture. 30"L x 8.5"W heatsink, and 36 CREE XR-E LED's with 80 degree optics.
Tank looks good, can't wait to see it all put together :) . Any livestock plans?

Back