My 40g Breeder Build

MissouriReefer31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 40g build on June/26/2021 I did some research into it but not extensive. Wish I did but I rushed that. I cycled the tank for 3 weeks ( yes i know should've waited longer. The water quality has been consistent. ammonia has consistently been at 0ppm, Nitrate and Nitrites at 0ppm and my PH is at 8.0. had an algae outbreak and got a lawnmower blenny who got rid of it really fast. and now i have cyano. water is still consistent just trying to get rid of the cyano.

My stock currently are
3- Tomato clowns
2- Domino damsels
2- Three striped damsels
2- B/Y damsels
2-Peppermint shrimps
1-Emerald crab
1- blenny

I have a few different Zoas, pulsing xenia, green mushrooms, purple mushrooms, a Ricordea and a duncan I got for free.

I have a BTA and a LTA which are shared by the Tomato's and Dominos, I keep a very close eye on the aggression as the person that helped me set it up didn't really help with educating me on much. thus why I am setting up a new 65g the right way. I have not had much aggression every once in a while they will chase one another away if they hang around too close for too long, but they just hang out on the LTA and the biggest Clown hops between the BTA and the LTA.

My filtration is a HOB tidal 55. I have a 300wt heater and a coral life T5 fixture with 2- Blue Plus 1- actinic and 2- aqua blue special

I welcome all tips and info that will help me on my journey.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MissouriReefer31

MissouriReefer31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 40g build on June/26/2021 I did some research into it but not extensive. Wish I did but I rushed that. I cycled the tank for 3 weeks ( yes i know should've waited longer. The water quality has been consistent. ammonia has consistently been at 0ppm, Nitrate and Nitrites at 0ppm and my PH is at 8.0. had an algae outbreak and got a lawnmower blenny who got rid of it really fast. and now i have cyano. water is still consistent just trying to get rid of the cyano.

My stock currently are
3- Tomato clowns
2- Domino damsels
2- Three striped damsels
2- B/Y damsels
2-Peppermint shrimps
1-Emerald crab
1- blenny

I have a few different Zoas, pulsing xenia, green mushrooms, purple mushrooms, a Ricordea and a duncan I got for free.

I have a BTA and a LTA which are shared by the Tomato's and Dominos, I keep a very close eye on the aggression as the person that helped me set it up didn't really help with educating me on much. thus why I am setting up a new 65g the right way. I have not had much aggression every once in a while they will chase one another away if they hang around too close for too long, but they just hang out on the LTA and the biggest Clown hops between the BTA and the LTA.

My filtration is a HOB tidal 55. I have a 300wt heater and a coral life T5 fixture with 2- Blue Plus 1- actinic and 2- aqua blue special

I welcome all tips and info that will help me on my journey.
My BTA split and I picked up a 4in BTA from a buddy so now I am at 3 BTA and 1 MASSIVE LTA.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back