OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
booyah Time to celebrate!! My number have not been this good in two years.
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 11.50.25 PM.png

all most all the hair algae is good. A couple of more biweekly treatment of Vibrant and and the system will be back to were in was in its prime
The system is back!!
The new corals are also doing well, and time for placement.

If I keep this up, I might feef like a reefer again. ;Joyful

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monday's test results
Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 4.05.56 PM.png

Switching out the GFO for fresh and I need to change out all the filter on the RODI filter :rolleyes: If it one thing, it another:p

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all.

The reboot has been going slow, and slow is good :rolleyes:

The DT is looking it best the DT has looking for a very long time.
IMG_6001.JPG
IMG_6002.JPG

Pretty much algae free.
Parameter are looking good.
Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 4.54.52 PM.png

I am going to dose up the Mg. I made a change to the amount of +2(alk) that I am dosing. I am going to wait to see if the Ca changes this week. If not I will bring up the Ca to 400.

I am going to try something new, to keep my alk range between 7.8 and 8.0. I actually have healthy coraline growing on the glass. I did not have coraline when the system was running a alk between 8.2 and 8.5.

I am also trying to introduce some LPS corals to the system with a styro, jingle bells, and a rep cap.
IMG_5998.JPG

Pick up these guys in the discount section. If these coral stay healthy then I will try a couple of more arcos, I am still trying to see if the pink lemonade is alive or not.

Tried out the new #HannaInstruments nitrate test. Pretty cool, yes the is some learning curves but I like it. Ran the low test/regular test and I was off the charts. Ran the watered down test and I was at a 46.2. I will try again later this week to see if it is me or my nitrates need to come down. Other test have been measuring my nitrates at about a 5 or lower.
I might have redesign the caddy:rolleyes:.Everything fits for my OCDness but.......:D Oh of course I am going to change up how the test is done with my stir and piperator. I am also going to toss the needle and syringe every time for a cleaner sample and filter.
IMG_6010.JPG

IMG_6011.JPG

Got myself a fish trap to catch the sail fin tang. she has out grown the tank.

I think I might have to fire my rather small and new matted file fish. The apistasa is back and spreading.

That is for now. ;Joyful

#buildthread

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hellooooooo, it has been some time since I have posted in my build thread.

Here are my numbers
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 4.37.23 PM.png

Not bad for not checking in 2.5 months. I took me an hour to figure out the Hanna nitrate test. I am not really sold yet on the Hanna test. The times, I have tested with the Hanna nitrate test. I am off the charts even with the diluted test.

I think I have answered my Cyano issue over the years. Change the RO/DI filters and use the carbon block filter that I should have been using instead of trying to use loose carbon to save $$. My Cyano went away completely for 6 months. It coming back, so I just changed my my Di along with the rest of the filters. The Cyano should clear up in a week of two. The loose carbon was causing bad bacteria to grow and off set the filtering process.

I have been trying to add a Niger trigger back into my system for 6 plus months with failure on the part of delivery. FedEx has delayed two of my last shipments from Bluezoo. Bluezoo has done the up most to help me out but I lost some critter and fish. Shipping is not my friend. The last shipment was 20 days ago and almost two day late if one count the time the shipment left the destination. I lost a all the fish I thought. Today, while clean and playing fish tank, I notice something swimming down in the back corner. It is the trigger, all health and alive.;Woot;Woot
IMG_6030.JPG

I think I am going to call him Rocky for many different reasons.

IMG_6033.JPG

I have coral line algae growing all over the place. This is been a challenge until I started running lower alkalinity. Now the coraline is grown like crazy.

IMG_6025.JPG

This is before I cleaned the glass.

Now to get rid of the aipstasia and get some corals to seed the system and I will be a very happy person.

Some may know and others not. I have been dealing with prostate cancer since July. I had surgery in the begging of November and have been recovery along with a business move. I have been pretty busy these past 2 months. I will start radiation treatments along with hormone therapy next week for six weeks. There was a little cancer left over after the surgery. Hopefully in a couple months I will have good news. Other wise I will keep chugging away.

Have a happy New Years and a great 2021!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks good. Other than a little cyano, alk is a little low and mag and No3 is a little high.

Mag 1300
alk 8-9
salinity 1.025 or 35ppt
CA 440
temp 77-79
PH 8.1-8.3
Nitrate < .04
Phos < .05

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. Other than a little cyano, alk is a little low and mag and No3 is a little high.

Mag 1300
alk 8-9
salinity 1.025 or 35ppt
CA 440
temp 77-79
PH 8.1-8.3
Nitrate < .04
Phos < .05
I used to run my Alk at 8.2 to 8.5 and not ever had the tank looking this good. I am not concerned with the Mg and will bump up the Ca to 400 and no higher. I used to run my Ca at 450, and again the tank did not look as good as it is now.

With Aquaforest tanks, parameter run different from the norm with most of the successful Aquaforest system. As Randy suggest, High Mg is no big deal, just when the Mg gets low. That is a concern. Here is a article with Randys recommend parameters link. You will notice a wide spectrum, for example with calcium. 360 to 420 is suggested. It is all just a balancing act in each of our little slice of the ocean. :)

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @jsker, sorry to hear about your prostate cancer. I know it's been a long time but I'm pulling for you, my friend. My sincere hope is that your tank gives you the quiet, calm and beauty you need to accelerate your recovery.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @jsker, sorry to hear about your prostate cancer. I know it's been a long time but I'm pulling for you, my friend. My sincere hope is that your tank gives you the quiet, calm and beauty you need to accelerate your recovery.
Thank you for the good vibes my friend.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
farting london GIF by Mr Methane

Today parameters
Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 6.01.39 PM.png

It is AWC day and I will bump up the Alk. Going to finish playing fish tank tomorrow. Got me some piperator tips from my #secretsanta and a new piperator from me. I am going to start making a video article using the piperators for testing.

My file fish is not doing his job of eating the apitasia, I need to figure out what kind of reinforcements I'm going to bring in.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 4.02.45 PM.png

Had some time to mess around with the nitrate test today. My nitrates are still off the charts. Time to vacuum the tank tomorrow then a auto water change later in the week should help.

I brought up my PH to 7.6 and that is were it is going to stay.

Apitasia is really not my friend now.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you? The nitrate looks consistently high.
Doing well, and you? I am just happy that the tank is not like it was a year ago. Yes it time to vacuum the sand to get rid of all the waste. I think it time to go back to quarterly vacuuming the small amount of the sub straight.

I have been keep the alk down around 7.4 to 7.6 and my Coraline algae is going crazy.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running the numbers today, since I am dosing vodka to get my nutrients in line. As you will notice, my nutrients are really high and have been high for a while. I figure what the heck and decide to run vodka dosing to see the effects on my nutrients.
Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 5.05.12 PM.png

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weren't you doing lathium ?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time in a year you pooped up on my radar. Revs gotta fix that,...ex lax?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back