OP
jsker

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good suggestion, I might have to get one.
At this point I am waiting to see how the system behaves before I add anything new.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconazole will clean the tank squeaky clean in 2 to 3 weeks bye bye hair algae. Cyano will go once your phos and nitrates are balanced
Thank you, for the suggestion. I have been looking for the cause, before I start treatments. It has been a mystery to what the real cause of my system tanking:D.

My latest assumption is either the pest exterminator, with the quarterly treatments. I have my skimmer air line pulling air in from the out side. Or when the county sprays for mosquitoes here. We just made a change with the exterminator and now to contact the county to see when the county sprays.

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be making a change and removing that air line but if it has been going since 2017 why has it only effected it now. Have you had a full icp test done ?

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Wonder if drawing the air through a charcoal filter would clean it of any contaminants?
I did add carbon to my CO2 scrubber. I wondering if that will work or should I find / add a separate filter?

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be making a change and removing that air line but if it has been going since 2017 why has it only effected it now. Have you had a full icp test done ?
I was thinking of moving the air line into the attic to draw in air, instead of the outside wall. Yes I did have the ICP test done.

The system has been in the down word trend, beginning in May 2018. I thought is was the auto water change I started in April 2018. The Cayno I can deal with but all the corals dying off that were healthy baffled me. Every time I would test and try to correct and system would stay the same or die off more each month.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The auto water changes can be a tricky business. I could do will my GHL but don’t dare risk it
I was using the Neptune DOS, pretty noisy. I will be switching to the GHL Maxi

I do my weekly water change now with the DOS

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubbing the tank and cleaning the system today and tomorrow.

IMG_5722.JPG

I have a little color from the mushroom farm and the blue Yama's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got up this morning and I am quite excited to mess with the tank. It is the first time in two years ;) I have tried to figure out what killed off all of my corals and the tank went into a slow free fall.

Yesterday I spent all day cleaning the tank of the overgrown algae in the tank. I change the filter socks three times, cleaned the MP-40 three times, and cleaned the gyres even more after knocking all the algae off the rock work and glass. I also moved the air line from the outside wall by the sump closet, up into the attic and extended the house up to the trusses. Replaced the air line that also had mold growing in them for the condensation being pulled in. My latest thinking is the insecticide that the county sprays at night, for misquotes was getting sucked in by the skimmer outside airline.

I was just looking at my PH, and the PH stayed pretty level last night after changing the air line yesterday. Interesting.
Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 8.28.57 AM.png

Today I am going to pull and clean the skimmer, clean the sump, test, fill the 1+2+3+ dosing containers, and the Mg +, vacuum the sand bed, then nuke the tank to kill the cyano.

I am going back to the daily water change, Monday through Friday. Aquaforest does not recommend keeping the reef salt mixed for more than five days before use.

The goal: to have a healthy growing reef again.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got up this morning and I am quite excited to mess with the tank. It is the first time in two years ;) I have tried to figure out what killed off all of my corals and the tank went into a slow free fall.

Yesterday I spent all day cleaning the tank of the overgrown algae in the tank. I change the filter socks three times, cleaned the MP-40 three times, and cleaned the gyres even more after knocking all the algae off the rock work and glass. I also moved the air line from the outside wall by the sump closet, up into the attic and extended the house up to the trusses. Replaced the air line that also had mold growing in them for the condensation being pulled in. My latest thinking is the insecticide that the county sprays at night, for misquotes was getting sucked in by the skimmer outside airline.

I was just looking at my PH, and the PH stayed pretty level last night after changing the air line yesterday. Interesting.

Today I am going to pull and clean the skimmer, clean the sump, test, fill the 1+2+3+ dosing containers, and the Mg +, vacuum the sand bed, then nuke the tank to kill the cyano.

I am going back to the daily water change, Monday through Friday. Aquaforest does not recommend keeping the reef salt mixed for more than five days before use.

Great plan Jeffrey...you've got this and will have it turned around in no time.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great plan Jeffrey...you've got this and will have it turned around in no time.

Thank you. Have a great day today.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the guys had a Lazy Sunday

0057CC18-EB3D-40C3-9CD9-CBAE8F8C74D0.jpeg

If you will notice, the R2R hat on the upper right. They both love that hat, since it is too hot to ware down here :rolleyes:

I just about finished and then some. :) with tank maintenance. I figure I will finish tomorrow. 01

Phosphates are sky high, I will tend to that after nuke the tank.

The numbers
Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 5.15.37 PM.png

The alk is pretty high, I am going to shut down the dosing on the alk and let the alk come down on it own.

The only thing give me a head ache today is. I added another network switch in the sump closet for now and the future. It seems that the new switch does not connect to the router. I think I will try the old reboot when now one is on the network to see if that fixes the issue.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well my friend to support your efforts I'm doing a complete reset as well. There is no doubt in my mind that you will have that whipped back into shape and looking fantastic in no time. :)

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my friend to support your efforts I'm doing a complete reset as well. There is no doubt in my mind that you will have that whipped back into shape and looking fantastic in no time. :)
Thank you sir, for the kind words.

let’s do it!,! :)

I am thinking of going big, from my learning in the past 5 years with well placement of corals. Now the search will begin to find a some prized corals and grown them to colonies;)

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir, for the kind words.

let’s do it!,! :)

I am thinking of going big, from my learning in the past 5 years with well placement of corals. Now the search will begin to find a some prized corals and grown them to colonies;)
I'm excited to see it grow! I lost most of my corals and gave away what I had left to save them. We will see how my generosity pays off when I ask for frags.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm excited to see it grow! I lost most of my corals and gave away what I had left to save them. We will see how my generosity pays off when I ask for frags.
I have a feeling, your kindness will pay you back. :)

Are your going to use the same build thread or start a new one?

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to put together my coral restocking wish list

Walt Disney
Thryee Pink lemon aid
Red Goni
Jigle bells cyphastrea
Cabbage montiporta
hollywood stunner
Mardi Gras cyphastrea
Green Milli
Blue stag
Grafted cap montiporta

I think this will be enough to grow in nicely
Fish a invert
another Niger trigger
3 Mexican trubos
and refresh the clean up crew.

I started the daily water changes again, Tuesday thru Friday. Aquaforest recommends not have reef salt mixed more that Five day, so 4 should be good.

I am 48 hours in to my nuke, and now with the water change in place the potency will dissipated and I should be good to attach the top of the skimmer by Sunday. I am going to check the parameter tomorrow. I figure I will have to dose lanthanum and I will also go online with GFO again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back