My $75 skimmer PULLS the nasty!!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mikeeal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mikeeal

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 8, 2022
Messages
31
Reaction score
14
Location
Dayton
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will always recommend a sump, always. The surface skimming and hidden equipment makes it a no brainer IMO. However, sometimes that's not an option. That was the case with this 125 I set up. The stand wouldn't accommodate one and I didn't want to build one, maybe I'm getting old. I did all the research I could on HOB options and none of them appealed to me so I decided to build one.

Honestly I just wanted to prove out this concept to myself and see how it worked. I've been pleasantly surprised with how well it works.

Supplies:

6" clear acrylic tube from Home Depot (online only)
6" collection cup from eBay
(2) magnet cleaners from eBay
Epoxy stick
4" wooden air diffusers

When the parts showed up I was thrilled that the cup fit perfectly in the tube cause I wasn't sure how I'd accomplish that part. I'm pushing four diffusers with an AP300. I epoxied the two magnet cleaners to the body so I can adjust the height, controlling skimmate. Yes I'm giving up some real estate in the tank but I'm not complaining.

Screenshot_20221008-172225.png
Screenshot_20221008-172018.png
Screenshot_20221008-172116.png
Screenshot_20221008-171611.png
 
I will always recommend a sump, always. The surface skimming and hidden equipment makes it a no brainer IMO. However, sometimes that's not an option. That was the case with this 125 I set up. The stand wouldn't accommodate one and I didn't want to build one, maybe I'm getting old. I did all the research I could on HOB options and none of them appealed to me so I decided to build one.

Honestly I just wanted to prove out this concept to myself and see how it worked. I've been pleasantly surprised with how well it works.

Supplies:

6" clear acrylic tube from Home Depot (online only)
6" collection cup from eBay
(2) magnet cleaners from eBay
Epoxy stick
4" wooden air diffusers

When the parts showed up I was thrilled that the cup fit perfectly in the tube cause I wasn't sure how I'd accomplish that part. I'm pushing four diffusers with an AP300. I epoxied the two magnet cleaners to the body so I can adjust the height, controlling skimmate. Yes I'm giving up some real estate in the tank but I'm not complaining.

Screenshot_20221008-172225.png
Screenshot_20221008-172018.png
Screenshot_20221008-172116.png
Screenshot_20221008-171611.png

so is there no pump other then the air pump on this?
 
i take it the bottom of the tube is unsealed and just sitting there.
Yes sir that is correct as well. Very simple and basic but it has been working great for me.
 
Wooden airstones work great for skimming... I just don't like cleaning or replacing them :) Nice DIY!
 
Old school = best school ;)
 
Yeah I saw that. I need to go external. I like the needle wheel pumps but they are expensive.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new