My 75G starfire display refugium feeding by gravity my 150G starfire reef tank build up

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cat walk

The time tunnel CAT STYLE;

104.jpg

100.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

101.jpg

103.jpg

102.jpg

094.jpg

093.jpg

092.jpg

090.jpg

Now they have access to the whole upper room level.

minion-o.gif

tumblr_mxm9fuMOpy1rbkc33o1_500.gif

tumblr_mry4m3irPj1s821tso1_400.gif

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few updates part 1

Got the brow jelly syndrome which i treated with Furan-2 from API after loosing 8 corals i was ready to try anything. It seem to have stopped for now.

I used on pack in one gallos of water; usually its one pack per 10 gallons, but i used it as a dippy dooda so for 30 min all my corals were in a yellow solution and then in clear salt water to rince for another 30 min and back to the tank.

Zoos, bubble coral, gorgonian, the whole thing whent in and they all opened up 10 min back into the tank and sang kumbaya.

Here's a few updated picture of the tank in its 7 months;

176.jpg

175.jpg

174.jpg

173.jpg

172.jpg

I've got more gorgonians comming for the NPS zone, now that i know i can keep them alive lol.

165.jpg

Trying to put more stuff on the stalactite is tuff.

163.jpg

161.jpg

159.jpg

158.jpg

157.jpg

A new comer

156.jpg

155.jpg

150.jpg

I transfered some caulerpa profilata in the main tank for the urchins see if they go for it. Plus i've got some new macro's going into the refugium later in the week, need some room. The tangs should also enjoy some too, we'll see.

149.jpg

The nem is behaving, just lost one fish and hopping its the last........i know , i know.....

148.jpg

Somme gorgonians and kenya trees .

147.jpg

146.jpg

145.jpg

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few updates part 2

Brown jelly article you might find interesting since i whent through it;

Brown Jelly Treatment

Ciliates and coral disease

144.jpg

143.jpg

Some dammage done by the jelly on the top

142.jpg

141.jpg

140.jpg

This is all taken after the dipping in Furan-2 from API

139.jpg

138.jpg

Of course those on the rocks??? can't do anything about that.

137.jpg

Oh yes buddy that i usually can't see during the day , we talked about him earlier; he came to say hi at noon the other day. Its a Dendrochirus barberi thanks to a good buddy of mine, :beer: lol, we've been able to ID him finally after 5 months. He survived on pods all that time , because he never ever took any food i gave him, gosh shrimps, just one molly and when on hiding for 4 months after that.

136.jpg

135.jpg

She keeps falling from the ledge and at the other end my clarkii keep pushing her.

132.jpg

131.jpg

One of my night crawlers day time rare .....

130.jpg

My seahare

113.jpg

Flower nem

154.jpg

153.jpg

152.jpg

151.jpg

This is API furan-2 i used , the instruction is one pack per 10 gallons,to be used in your tank, but i used it as a dip. So i've put one pack in one gallon; 10 times the strenght for a 30min dip in a bucket and a 30 min rince in a bucket of salt water and then return to the tank.

It contains an active ingredient to kill bacteria ; an anti-biotic . Thats why i didn't put it in the tank. I used it as a dip instead. You don't want to nuke your bacterial count in your tank do you lol.

furan2pro2.jpg

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was time for some new stuff stuff

Yep it was time for new macroalgaes and gorgonians, let start with the refugium;

245.jpg

243.jpg

Caulerpa Mexicana ,

240.jpg

Botryocladia sp

241.jpg

Caulerpa sertularioides

239.jpg

Caulerpa Cupressoide

238.jpg

Caulerpa Mexicana

257.jpg

260.jpg

259.jpg

263.jpg

259.jpg

253.jpg

252.jpg

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new stuff the main tank

Ok this time i got myself some new NPS stuff ; new Gorgonians.

A Diodogorgia nodulifera

223.jpg

I haven't decided of her permanent place yet until i know she's happy.

222.jpg

Species Name: Diodogorgia nodulifera

Authority: Hargitt, 1901

Common Name: Orange/Red/Yellow Tree Gorgonian

Range: Western Atlantic Ocean: Southern Florida, Bahamas, Caribbean

Natural Environment: Inhabits moderate depths under overhangs

General Husbandry: Common names also include Yellow Finger Sea Rod/Gorgonian, Red Finger Sea Rod/Gorgonian, Orange Finger Sea Rod/Gorgonian, or Tree (whatever color) Gorgonian. Lacks symbiotic algae. Has a temperature range of 68 to 75°F (23.89°C) (20 - 24°C). Requires a shaded area and daily feedings with plankton-like foodstuffs.

Aquarium Suitability: Difficult to maintain long term.

This my yellow one from before 5 months old now;

228.jpg

Muricea laxa

218.jpg

Species Name: Muricea laxa

Authority: Verrill, 1864

Common Name: Silver Sea Whip

Range: Western Atlantic Ocean: Florida, Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean

Natural Environment: Found at various depths on coral fragments and rocky rubble

General Husbandry: Has a temperature range of 68 to 79°F (26.11°C) (20 - 26°C). Requires moderate light, very good water quality, (no algae) and moderate water movement. Seen here in my aquarium where it was maintained for two years.

217.jpg

very bad shipper got dammaged she was fine in the bag but during the night in the tank she did loose some spots the flow , i don't think anything ate her because it stopped , its the shipment that affected her most.

219.jpg

Leptogorgia virgulata

221.jpg

Muricea muricata

226.jpg

I got a Acalycigorgia sp but so small one of the urchin pick it up and God knows where it is now....... $14 gone grrrrrr they advertised a 1" speciment i'm not even sure it was that. Reef2Go they also substituted some caulerpa for Codium i've ordered twice now.....not happy.

This is a mystery can't find the name and it doesn't corespond to any of their pictures..... go figure.

225.jpg

Got a new yellow sponge

231.jpg

And a nice red one too

232.jpg

OOps upside down

233.jpg

They still have nice items but you get surprises sometimes.

Not sure what this one is doing there, and you try to get explanation or contact them its a waste of time.

234.jpg

230.jpg

Makes a cool looking area i think

229.jpg

237.jpg

From the fuge point of view

266.jpg

265.jpg

264.jpg

from the top of the fuge

268.jpg

267.jpg

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The presto chalenge

Well tried to clean my powerheads specially my bubblemaster on my octopus skimmer with vinegar and baking soda.......what a waste of my time!!!!!!!!!!!

The good old fashion way;

Hot water , soap and javex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

286.jpg

By the time this coffee pot was empty i had all my powerheads (6) done and clean and repositioned, 45 min.

287.jpg

While one was brewing in soap in the presto, the other was rincing in the toperware for 2 min, thats it, you brush wipe all the cracks take out the empellers and rinse, then make it run in the clean water before puting it back in the tank. Plastic don't absorb soap or javex.

288.jpg

here a few tank shots taken today, i've permanently position them now, since they've seem to open and be happy right away where i've put them almost at the same place as before.

292.jpg

290.jpg

293.jpg

Same type of gorgone but yellow

295.jpg

Such a nice current there i decided to put them both there side by side ; their polyps opens up right away. The waterflow more than the nutrient count seem to mater most from my observations, i got that from the day i've cleaned my powerhead one time. having not dosed phytoplacton for a week the polyps extended anyway because the powerhead that i was attempting to put back in place slipped and got into their area by accident and flushed directly at them, for a few seconds. that was an eye opener.

296.jpg

The dark side of the cave

297.jpg

298.jpg

300.jpg

Chrismass tree

301.jpg

304.jpg

The top of the stalactite, i've got a favia there it doing so so.

305.jpg

306.jpg

A new Blue Xenia

309.jpg

311.jpg

Maximes on the right......

312.jpg

Funny it looks like 2 pictures but only one; its the way the rocks are cut and the cave gives a look behind and the corals distribution, now i know how camera trick are done lol.

313.jpg

314.jpg

He was directing me the whole time.........

289.jpg

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6 month report on the tank

Ok well let see what's what and where i am right now.

- The system works as anticipated with very few ajustments

- I couldn't clean up my wires better thats seem impossible for me.

-The prodibiotic method to start a tank worked very well, 24h after i've put the water in i was able to put my first fish in and corals.

- The sexy LED's lights bought from Ebay for the mixing drum and sump lasted one month only.

- The fuge is a huge success , both with my club , selling the extras and general appeal.

- My iron depletion is unreal who knew that so much iron was consume by macroalgaes, i guess i know now.i have to dose every 3 days to keep it at low levels. Of course i have a huge stock of algaes......

- The seperation in the fuge can be overcomed by both the inverts and fishes, where's the hole , no idea, how do they do it no idea, did i build it i'm starting to wonder.

- The seahorses feeding box works great and no problem feeding them, no pregnent ones so far, not sure why maybe a moon cycle is missing?

- Flat worm problem still there in the fuge , but in the main tank its gone, thanks to the wrasse.

- My ALK problem is still a problem now i`m dosing 2ml per hour, i have no idea why its still at 6.1 after a month of dosing.

- All my corals are doing good except the hamers i lost 90% due to brown jelly 12 hammers worth $ 700 .

- I lost only one fish to my carpet nem so far, thank God.

- Exchanged my picasso clowns for clowns that hosted my nem i rather have that symbiotic relationship than those two idiots who swam only in the top corner.

-My undisturbed sand is full of critters at night , but i had a pod crash due to my wrass in the fuge. The same wrasse that was suppose to get those worms under control but didn`t. i may have to use a chemical solution, but fear for the seahorses.

- In my maintenance i found that 2 months for cleaning the powerheads was a bit soon , practically no particule accumulation other than outside the casing.

- The Apex controller is a charm

- The Tunze powerheads are extremely silent and the best , and i've used the MP's before.

- Little fishies reactor so simple to use no problem.

- My Super Reef Octopus 3000 Internal Protein Skimmer , sooooo good and silent, easy to clean , even a bit too efficient; if i dose my phytoplancton i have to take it OFF line otherwise he syphon`s it out of the tank and i waste it down the drain. I wait 6 h at least.

- Tunze ATO is Good , but its one of those you have to pay and keep a close eye on. Clean that optic eye when doing your WC.

- Lighting period, very important, its the difference between having an algae bloom, cyano bacteria or having no issue at al. Specially if your running a high nutrient tank like i do, because of my Gorgonians , sponges , clams, (phytoplancton dosage) and my display refugium that requires a bit more nitrates actually and uses phosphates of the water columb. So adding one too many hours started an algae bloom for weeks at one point. So 7 h of white is enough for my refugium at 100% , 11 h total.

-The lighting for my main tank is less intensive for many reason, but still only 8h white and 12 h total. Its enough for my corals and no algaes bloom. They also get the natural light all morning since the lights don't come on till 11am.

- My clean up crew selection process worked like a charm and i have no problem what so ever with the results and i haven't bought a single extra cleaner since because of that plan. It worked perfectly as predicted. I fraken love science!!!! LOL.

Well that about i really enjoy my project and my tank system thanks for watching, please if you have any suggestions or questions.

Minions-art-1.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while

Ok well its been a while ; the brown jelly did finally stopped, with 12 casualty;
$700 worth of corals, i've learned from a LFS that you siphon each affected heads before you cut them and then you can dip them if you want. Crushing the tissues is what causes the necrosis and eventually the brown jelly.

367.jpg

So when moving your coral its you who usually causes it or me..... not enough flow also causes it, or too much, go figure, its bruises the tissues. Quite the info after the fact but still useful. In any case i've replace the corals because a big hole was left on my rock.

365.jpg

I found a nice Glove polyp, something i never had or actually saw, easy they say, I love easy, don't you? Easy,Lazy nice rhyme, their's so much hard stuff in are hobby if i can find beautiful and easy coral i'll take it!!

377.jpg

And i found this nice sarcophyton sp to be perfect to become a show piece on the ledge with his nice shape.

350.jpg

411.jpg

Some Alveopora Coral

389.jpg

My carpet nem started to move and she ate my second yellow tang

394.jpg

The whole tank is being disturbed by this the clowns territory has shifted and everybody is mad.

393.jpg

391.jpg

She use to be at the far end of the tank now she's in the middle right in the Foxface garage

383.jpg

Every bodie's running away from the feuding foxface clowns and tang the tux are in hiding mode

381.jpg

These have grown really good

373.jpg

I got these buttons to decorate my stalactite.

355.jpg

I had trouble finding stuff to put on the stalactite and someone suggested theses button polyps.

353.jpg

While moving around the nem is stigning everything on its way grrrrr

342.jpg

She's so sticky unreal

340.jpg

The killer

338.jpg

One that suffered the most was my clam she was attacked several time by the clowns because she was in their territory, but she's fine now that i moved her away from harm.

440.jpg

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank looks really good basile! it's awesome how you had your plan, executed it, and things have really come together for you!

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few new videos updates

large.gif

Feeding my fish with the home made fish food, lost of particule in that food mix make every coral expand as well, i rub the frozen piece on many on them and they catch pieces of the food and its really something. The camera unfortunately doesn't catch all that ; its not close and precise enough for that. And i'm not a pro at this like i said before i'm also awkward at doing videos even clumsy , specially since i'm french and i have to do this all at the same time , not at all easy for me, but i hope i give enough info so you can make your own foods and start saving. Hey Its better than bad music, LOL.

[video=youtube;i6qH0o4WArw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6qH0o4WArw&list=PLk_Pw-jAYdFfzK1jNhN7rAilGwHaEzvH5&index=9[/video]

The refugium update, New species , i lost a few but not too many, i've sold a lot , enough to finance this new batch and put some in a smaller tank, for now. I've experimented with food for plant and algaes , made observations every day, took notes in my log book and measurements, time and samples. i found out a few thing about most of my algaes, and like i said lost just a few 5 in all really in the second batch, i lost the first batch almost completely to snails eating algaes, so no snails in this fuge except stomatella and nassarius for detritus, a few hermits , but most of all my seahare; just that he ate all the ulva, lol. As for hermith goes, no halloween, or big ones they grab seahorses , but the seahorses by the way kick their butts lol. Seastars are good specially because seahorses can be messy , however if you have a little feeder box like mine it doesn't really matter , its stays in the box and they don't waste too much. By the way the new food the seahorses loves it. If you have any question specially about the dosing, of the iron which is paramount in this case for big complex refugium like this one , please don't hesitate , because this is how i lost my algaes in the first place(this has nothing to do with caulerpa or chaeto) i'm talking about the more savy speciments , in a complex refugium, not a 6X6 under the tank refugium.

[video=youtube;ffHvjmrf35Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffHvjmrf35Q&list=PLk_Pw-jAYdFfzK1jNhN7rAilGwHaEzvH5&index=10[/video]

My main reef tank lots of changes, i had an brown jelly outbreak, lost 12 hammers, saved 2, but for the most par the tank is well and progressing nicely. My gorgonian collection is very healthy for now, By the way i made a mistake in my presentation i named one of my corals acropora, when its goniopora, which i use to call it gonorrhea so i wouldn't forget, lol.Sorry about that; i always mix these two up don't know why.

E9F.gif

[video=youtube;Fytg_L4ijUc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fytg_L4ijUc&list=PLk_Pw-jAYdFfzK1jNhN7rAilGwHaEzvH5&index=11[/video]

A bit of gore lol a dying sponge someone gave me , i had one previously and i did the same as this video. After research on how to propagate sponge and how this animal is constituted. University biology projects are at the base of this experiment or method of doing things.

giphy.gif

[video=youtube;epEAflON1QY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epEAflON1QY&index=12&list=PLk_Pw-jAYdFfzK1jNhN7rAilGwHaEzvH5[/video]

tumblr_mr0yu6LSIy1so373uo1_500.gif

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Thanks for all the pics. I like the diversity.............and the cat! Looking good! How long have you had the blue sponge?

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Thanks for all the pics. I like the diversity.............and the cat! Looking good! How long have you had the blue sponge?

Thanks, yes i'm visual and talk is cheap lol , i like to comunicate my ideas with drawings or pictures, videos, and so on. And all this is in the cats room so they had to compromise their space lol. The blue sponge are 4 months old now. To keep one or two sponge is easy but 12 is really hard, because they can starve. One cubic cm of sponge matter pump one gallon of water every 24 hours.

I have enough to pump all 230G of my system in 24 hours which means i have to supplement or they'll starve and die. i sometime turn OFF the skimmer to help, because they filter so well, my water in the morning is so clear, because i haven't dosed yet or fed, so no particule or microalgae formation due to the light yet. Keeps the water very clean, too much in fact. it's one advantage that you have to manage.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High iron dosing for my refugium facts.

Here some of my data i've colllected to base my course of action regarding my iron dosing for my refugium, their are others but its one that after i had started confirmed i was in the right direction.

Article Citation:
Y. Suzuki, K. Kuma, I. Kudo, and K. Matsunaga (1995) Iron requirement of the brown macroalgae Laminaria japonica, Undaria pinnatifida (Phaeophyta) and the crustose coralline alga Lithophyllum yessoense (Rhodophyta), and their competition in the northern Japan Sea. Phycologia: May 1995, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 201-205.
doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.2216/i0031-8884-34-3-201.1
Iron requirement of the brown macroalgae Laminaria japonica, Undaria pinnatifida (Phaeophyta) and the crustose coralline alga Lithophyllum yessoense (Rhodophyta), and their competition in the northern Japan Sea

Y. Suzuki*, K. Kuma, I. Kudo, and K. Matsunaga
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Fisheries, Hokkaido University, Hakodate, 041 Japan
Abstract
The iron uptake rates of the brown macroalga Laminaria japonica Areschoug and the coralline alga Lithophyllum yessoense Foslie were determined using 59F (15°C)e as a tracer. The uptake rates of Laminaria were saturated at a higher level of iron than Lithophyllum. Furthermore, the saturated uptake rate of Laminaria was approximately 50 times higher than that of Lithophyllum. The growth of Laminaria, the brown macroalga Undaria pinnatifidaHarvey (Suringar) and Lithophyllum was compared in iron-rich and iron-limited media. A medium enriched with iron promotes the growth of Laminaria and Undaria. In contrast, Lithophyllum grew even in an iron-limited medium <1 nM Fe). The iron concentration in coastal seawater collected from the Japan Sea, where rocks or rock beds are covered with coralline algae, is extremely low <2 nM Fe). This may explain why coralline algae (Lithophyllum) dominate, whereas growth of brown macroalgae is severely limited.

Accepted: November 10, 1994 ;Published Online: May 1995

* Present address: Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Miyazaki University, Miyazaki, 889-21 Japan.

Source;

http://www.phycologia.org/doi/abs/10.2216/i0031-8884-34-3-201.1

Chemistry And The Aquarium: Iron In A Reef Tank ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Undaria pinnatifida

Undaria_sporophyll.jpg

Laminaria japonica Areschoug

UndariapinnatifidaHarvey.jpg

Lithophyllum yessoense Foslie

Lithophyllumyessoense.jpg

I'll say this however iron dosing applies only if you have a big refugium that contain other algaes than Caulerpa and chaeto. Its not for a 6X6 under the tank for a ball of cheato that will grow anyway, I have a 75 G tank refugium with now 37 diffrent species all which have different needs and consume at various rates. I dose every second day and i can't keep up. I need to keep my nitrates at 5ppm and phosphates at 0.4ppm for the tank to survive. If i don't maintain this i'll loose the tank i did once, $195 worth of macro algaes gone, they starved and died. They basically sucked up all nutrients and rot because they didn't have enough to eat. The bigger the ball gets; the faster it extract the nitrates... it goes exponentially and with 37 species you have to suppliment other things for those different and rare ones.

I started with this small refugium

Photo050.jpg

to this

[video=youtube;ffHvjmrf35Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffHvjmrf35Q&amp;list=PLk_Pw-jAYdFfzK1jNhN7rAilGwHaEzvH5&amp;index=10[/video]

I write big for my iphone friends

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back