My 75gal coral addiction tank

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@tbrown
IMG_0579.jpeg
#7?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think Brandon (@Zoanthids ) called it a bicolor splatter frammer. Reminds me more of an octospawn.
Frammers are closely related to Octos. They may actually be two names for the same? It's technically a Frogspawn/Hammer hybrid I think...

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frammers are closely related to Octos. They may actually be two names for the same? It's technically a Frogspawn/Hammer hybrid I think...
There you go being all sciency and technical again

Bad marco
EF5BD6AC-E426-43AA-A25B-7574A2DA406C.gif

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got home yesterday from doing my errands the YCW that came in stressed was looking rough. He was breathing hard again. I was inspecting him and noticed his fins were now very damaged. What caused this I don’t know. I went to feed the tank and gently put food by him he didn’t even try. After a short period of time he was laying on his side.

I did the right thing and put him down.

Then spent the rest of the night feeling bad.

Poor fishy.

His buddy that came in with him looked to be searching for him. Which only made me more sad.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other news

Picked up my arrow crab. Floated him in the sump until I was done with animal glueing.

I did a little rearranging on Goni island. Not sure where the two new ones will go once they come in. Guess I’ll sort that out then. Pictures when I get home from work.

Went to add the crab to the tank and I had two!!
Well 1 and a molt. Let’s hope he does his job and eats some bristle worms.

Don’t emerald crabs eat bubble algae? Gonna look into that.

I acquired several containers for dosing via thrift stores….. opinions on what to use to clean them?
I got two of each. Acrylic tubing and a few push connectors. Wish I could have found 4 of the ones on the left. Both are graduated so I’ll be able to tell the dosing pump how much liquid is in them. So far cost of dosing container - $8 (plus whatever tax was) I saw push fit connectors on Amazon for $10 ( think it was like 8 of em). I did figure out the dosing line that comes with the pump is 1/8 OD . So push connectors need to be 1/8 to 1/4.
IMG_0733.jpeg

Had LFS test water.
Cal. 360 and mag was 1260

Bought stupid testing kits

Dosed both of those yesterday and will test tonight.

I want to get calcium to 450 and Magnisum to 1450 (which is what I was running prior to all the new additions eating everything up). According to the LFS my Dkh was at 11. I tested with my Hanna (same water) prior to going and Hanna said 10. I have the calibration set and my checker reads fine. The LFS usually says it’s higher. Although 10 is a bit high , I’m assuming that’s don’t the imbalance of calcium. I did reduce dosing so I am checking every couple of days.

Once I get the parts in for the containers and I get my numbers where I want them I will start dosing AF Lab Component Pro 1,2,3.

According to those containers starting dose should be 12ml per 27g. Hopefully over the next few days I can figure out what my daily Dkh consumption is. I think I need to stop dosing Alk all together for that though. So will turn it off today. And then test over the next 3-4 days daily. Once I got that figured out and all the pieces put together I’ll start the new stuff.

AF component does have manganese but I still plan on dosing more on top of that. I will reduce overall amount. I am going to do this for 1 week and then send off for an ICP test. This should also allow me to see if there are any trace elements I need to bump up. After I bring those up I will likely run for 1 month and ICP the water 1 more time. I believe this should give me a rough idea of what elements the 3part can’t maintain. Then I will determine if I can mix up those in one container and dose.

OP
OP
Reefing_addiction

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dKH : 9.7
I’m trying to work this back down to 9

Calcium - 360
I’m trying to work this back up to around 425

Magnesium- 1215 :oops:
Ideally 1450…..so 1215 is craptacular!

Brightwell magnesium says use 300 ml to up mag by 100. Well lovely.

So gonna dose the rest of this bottle and recheck tomorrow.

Need to buy something to raise calcium ( since I dosed the rest of what I had.

I have 1 more 250ml bottle of magnesium so probably need another bottle of that. Fun stuff….just so I can hook up dosing pumps

IMG_0798.jpeg

EDIT
Nitrates 8.6. Well that’s better than it was on Sunday….lol

Gonna dose neonitro. IMG_0799.jpeg

Last edited:

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Seachem Reef Advantage Magnesium and Kent Tech M Magnesium seem to be the most potent for the price. I've seen other brands that cost more and are less potent per mL. LiveAquaria has Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfate in bulk for relatively inexpensive so you can mix your own DIY Randy Recipe. BRS.and SaltwaterAquarium.com probably have similar for similar prices.

Back