My 90 Gallon addiction

thenissantech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers. My name is Alex and I have been on this website for quite a while and recently became a member. There are so many awesome builds on here and this is by far my favorite saltwater forum by far. I hope to show everyone my progress over the past few years since I got into the hobby. Like most things it started as project for my boys and I and now is totally an addiction to me. So... here we go!

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 209
  • 1565.jpg
    1565.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 90 gal.jpg
    90 gal.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 184
OP
OP
thenissantech

thenissantech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first thread that I have started so I'm still figuring out how to put captions with pictures. Any advice would be appreciated. The first pic is my 55 gallon freshwater tank. I know exciting right? Well after a few years I got bored with it and decide that it was time for a change. The second picture was the day I converted it to saltwater. I found some live rock on craigslist and I was off to the races. I haven't looked back ever since. The third picture is when I decided to upgrade to a 75 gallon tank one month later. After a few months I decided that I wanted to build my own stand and that's where pic four comes in. I purchased a rr tank when I built the stand. The last pic is my current 90 gallon. When we moved, I took the opportunity to get a bigger tank. The last picture is a current pic from two days ago. Now that you can see a time line I'll start at the beginning and go to now. I have a ton of pics along with coral progression and diy stuff. Thanks for looking.

OP
OP
thenissantech

thenissantech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could say that I was some amazing engineer and I designed the stand, but I can't. So before I start the pics credit must be given to a reefer who helped me quite a bit. Here is the link to his build emkbass (Eric's) Build Thread....FINALLY - The Reef Tank. My stand is just like his.

My youngest son couldn't wait to get started. We made all our cuts for the initial frame.

Then we made the upper and lower frame followed by the legs to attach both

This is the glue and screws that I used. I purchased 99% of everything for this build at Lowe's.

acer pics file 1 156.jpg

At the end of the day 1, this is what we had.

OP
OP
thenissantech

thenissantech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day two:
acer pics file 1 159.jpg

I cut out a piece for the bottom and inside to separate sump from electrical panel

acer pics file 1 160.jpg

acer pics file 1 163.jpg

The frame was painted white with Kilnz oil based paint. After linoleum was installed with silicone to make the bottom of the stand waterproof in the event of spills.

acer pics file 1 169.jpg

Lastly for day two I skinned the frame with oak.

OP
OP
thenissantech

thenissantech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Than you. So far its been a lot of fun mixed with a little frustration. and a lot of PATIENCE

OP
OP
thenissantech

thenissantech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
015.jpg

This leather seems to be the best place in my tank. This bicolor blenny and one of my clownfish have been fighting over it for a year. they even share it at this point.

1591.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back