My 90 gallon tank journey

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the answer for you, but I can tell you that I was having some nutrient issues (based on testing alone, no other coral/algae issues) in my tank and started messing with NoPox, and lanthanum chloride and even some biopellets for a hot second and what ended up happening was burnt tips/recession/death of the few sps I had in there, growth of hair algae, some green slime and cyano. So...I cut all that crap out and am going to stick to water changes alone. I siphoned some sand and back chambers (AIO) of the tank and plan to do 20% changes weekly for awhile and see what happens.

This is no help other than my point is that it seems like as soon as I started messing with nutrient reduction methods things seemed to go awry and nutrients were getting out of balance. So, I guess, be cautious with the carbon dosing and more often than not, there is no better "cure" than good old water changes to get the ship righted.
The above is why I found away to keep all my parameters in check, without carbon dosing.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The above is why I found away to keep all my parameters in check, without carbon dosing.
Yea but it was happening two weeks before I started dosing it. When testing that was the only thing that jumped out as being way off. Should I stop yea but I'm only doing 1/4 of recommendation. Every other day.

I just checked all magnets besides my atk magnet all seem ok

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea but it was happening two weeks before I started dosing it. When testing that was the only thing that jumped out as being way off. Should I stop yea but I'm only doing 1/4 of recommendation. Every other day.

I just checked all magnets besides my atk magnet all seem ok
I hear ya, and we went sideways for a min.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started happening two weeks after I got home from my two week vacation

The carbon Mishap I think would have hit before then. The high nitrates I really don't care about but was just a guess I can stop the nopox right away won't bother me

I'm honstly think metal In the tank like something got knocked in the sump decomposed or a magnet or something like that as the fish are fine and healthy and the corals are looking horrible

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry
Maybe you need to send a sample to Triton.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My post #181 is the best that I can do.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just sad and discouraging to watch them slowly die

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last call before I go searching thru my sand and sump for metal
I have a stainless steel clamp on the main return pump. (it gets submerged once a week during the water change)
The plastic clip-on's just don't cut it on that main return.

Well,
I don't want to pay $25 - $30 for a titanium hose clamp.

So, Yesterday morning, I totally encased the SS clamp in silicone.

Have no clue if metal is your problem but I don't mess with it either.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could very well be the aftermath from the carbon incident. Even though all seemed well afterwards I've seen ppl who have had similar situations happen and months down the road just habe numerous losses out of the blue. :(

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could very well be the aftermath from the carbon incident. Even though all seemed well afterwards I've seen ppl who have had similar situations happen and months down the road just habe numerous losses out of the blue. :(
Hybird,
Is it best, to ride it out?

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get those nitrates down (too high for the alk levels) and things should start to rebound
Thanks hybrid

It could really take over a month for that carbon to mess my corals up? That's insane.

So ur saying to continue the nopox to get my trates down? (I thought with alk under 8 my trates could be a little higher)

right now I'm kinda mad I mean since setting up this tank this is my first problem so that's good but my corals I feel bad for them esp if it turns out to be the carbon instance as here is no one else to blame but me.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks hybrid

It could really take over a month for that carbon to mess my corals up? That's insane.

So ur saying to continue the nopox to get my trates down? (I thought with alk under 8 my trates could be a little higher)

right now I'm kinda mad I mean since setting up this tank this is my first problem so that's good but my corals I feel bad for them esp if it turns out to be the carbon instance as here is no one else to blame but me.

Low alk means you need to keep low nutrients. That's why ppl who run ulns keep alk around 7

Hella_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low alk means you need to keep low nutrients. That's why ppl who run ulns keep alk around 7

+1 with ur alk being at 7.8 you want to be around 2ppm, if u have trouble stabilizing nutrient export to 2 ppm then u could slowly raise alk around 9, but ur better off lowering nitrates with less shock to the system. Higher alk with low nutrients can burn tips and vice versa, low alk with high nitrates can burn tips. Find the happy medium and let the corals distinguish what is the best parameters for you. 0ppm of No3 "can" lead to bleaching and 25+ppm will lead to browning. Good luck Justin and remember to take it slow whenever messing with parameter swings, what took you months to achieve can be gone in a night in this beautiful but unforgiving hobby.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 with ur alk being at 7.8 you want to be around 2ppm, if u have trouble stabilizing nutrient export to 2 ppm then u could slowly raise alk around 9, but ur better off lowering nitrates with less shock to the system. Higher alk with low nutrients can burn tips and vice versa, low alk with high nitrates can burn tips. Find the happy medium and let the corals distinguish what is the best parameters for you. 0ppm of No3 "can" lead to bleaching and 25+ppm will lead to browning. Good luck Justin and remember to take it slow whenever messing with parameter swings, what took you months to achieve can be gone in a night in this beautiful but unforgiving hobby.
Thanks the thing that was weird to me is my nitrates have always been this high around the 32 mark not the exact color on the Red Sea wheel but lighter and I always had growth. Then one day this happened

Maby I was lucky and riding that fine line of working and not working.

I have since been thinking what else has changed in my system.

I stoped doseing 24 hours and went to 14 hours because I wanted to try to chase the alk consumption. And two hours after lights out the alk consumption stoped until two hours after lights came on.

Could this be the problem? It's the only other thing I have done diffently besides everything else stated.( Carbon nuke high trates possible metal and light problems)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back