My 900 gallon "dream" is coming to life!!

Brireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great to see all your hard work and planning have created this incredible show piece of a tank. Appreciate you took the time to create this thread and keeping us all up to date on the build. I keep showing my wife your set up and dropping hints I want to go much bigger than my 120g...lol. I think some beautiful tangs would love a tank like that!

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great to see all your hard work and planning have created this incredible show piece of a tank. Appreciate you took the time to create this thread and keeping us all up to date on the build. I keep showing my wife your set up and dropping hints I want to go much bigger than my 120g...lol. I think some beautiful tangs would love a tank like that!

Thanks and glad I could be of some help to your worthy cause. More is better right?? :)

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20151120_084230.jpg
:)...can I ask what lights you are using. the last page you said they were coming but I didn't see a pic of them.---Rick

So James is really Rick? Shaken not stirred?? :)

I went with all LED. They are called Solar Stinger Sunstrip 140 Marine. They are 36" long and I have 4 of them. The jury is still out at the moment. I need at least a month with them before I can give an opinion.

I think they look good enough to hang above your tank without a cabinet.

Last edited:

007Bond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right,...the fixtures look good the way they hang,...let us know how your corals like them. A Apogee meter would be a nice tool to have since you have taken the plunge this far :)

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right,...the fixtures look good the way they hang,...let us know how your corals like them. A Apogee meter would be a nice tool to have since you have taken the plunge this far :)

And the tank is 4' deep....

I bumped the lights up to 100% just to see what that looks like. They got hot to the touch and after a few minutes they started to flicker and went off. I backed them down a little and they are fine. Wondering if that is a heat issue?

jamreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build! I like how it's progressing. I like that your cabinet has removable doors, for ease of access to the sump.

007Bond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the tank is 4' deep....

I bumped the lights up to 100% just to see what that looks like. They got hot to the touch and after a few minutes they started to flicker and went off. I backed them down a little and they are fine. Wondering if that is a heat issue?

My tank is 42" deep hence my interest.
You should be able to run your fixtures at 100% if you want,...their design should allow this without them turning off in my opinion,...most likely overload protection,...is your hood area trapping to much heat,...does it need venting? if not I would contact the seller for advice.---Rick

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 42" deep hence my interest.
You should be able to run your fixtures at 100% if you want,...their design should allow this without them turning off in my opinion,...most likely overload protection,...is your hood area trapping to much heat,...does it need venting? if not I would contact the seller for advice.---Rick

Reached out to seller. Definitely an issue with their drivers.

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I think it is about time to wrap up this build thread for now since the "build" is done and things are running smoothly. I will be adding more livestock slowly over the next few months. Thanks all for tuning in and for your kind words. I appreciate your support!!

I will post some pics down the road....

20151123_141108.jpg

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been 4 full months and everything is still running smoothly. My livestock is thriving, tank parameters are stable, nuisance algae and cyano are dying out, coraline is starting to cover rocks and my patience has paid off. I have resisted tinkering as much as I could and let mother nature take over. She has done a wonderful job balancing things out. I am running GFO and Chaeto for nutrient export along with a massive skimmer. That has been mostly effective thus far but I may have to add additional methods soon. I am doing an automated water change of about 5 gallons per day spread over 24 hours plus an additional 50 gallons every other week during cleaning/vacuuming.

Here is what I currently have in my tank. It is a 900 gallon system. DT is 750, sump is 150. All of my fish are still very small. I wanted to get as many years out of them as I could. I got most of them in November of last year.

I realize my angels are risky and could be trouble if they start picking at the corals. I know I may have to remove them if that happens but I want to see how it goes first. All fish are healthy and doing great. No aggression or issues. The hippo was an ich magnet. He is doing great and has doubled in size since I got him but he battled with ich when none of the other fish were showing any signs.

I am feeding LRS Fish Frenzy twice a day. I thaw it in a cup of saltwater and pour off the dirty water before I feed. I also feed a lot of copepods because I have 3 dragonets (long story there but I agreed to take them from a fellow reefer even though that is a lot to have in one tank especially in a newer tank).

3 Banggai Cardinals
3 Pajama Cardinals

8 Blue Green Chromis
1 Orange Lined Chromis

1 Hippo Tang

1 Longnose Butterfly

1 Flame Angel
1 Potters Angel
1 Coral Beauty

1 One Spot Foxface

2 Royal Gramma

2 Ocellaris Clowns - I still need to get an anemone for them.

4 Firefish (3 red, 1 purple)

2 Scooter dragonets (1 tan, 1 red)
1 Mandarin dragonet

32 Total

6 Peppermint Shrimp
2 Coral Banded Shrimp
3 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
3 Emerald Crabs
1 Arrow Crab
100 Snails

TODAY IS THE LAST DAY OF MY TANK BEING A FOWLR..... TOMORROW IT GRADUATES TO A REEF TANK!!

20160202_090923.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.3%

Back