My 900 gallon "dream" is coming to life!!

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, this is looking great! Can't wait to watch it fill in!

Thanks. It has been literally hundreds of hours day after day and now all of a sudden it is so quiet around here. The build is done, everything is running smoothly, water is stable, have 6 small fish that are healthy and eating well... and now we wait :)

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try a fish order from Saltwaterfish.com. This will be an interesting experiment to see how it goes. Their address is a warehouse not far from where I live but they will not let people come to pickup their order in person. It has to be shipped at high risk and cost. The same thing held true for Reef Cleaners which sells Florida Reef Rock. They are a couple miles away from me but would let me pickup the rock there. It has to be shipped at high cost. Both of them are online only and said it was because they are in a location that is not zoned for retail. I guess that saves them money to not be in the retail game but at the same time, livestock and heavy rocks are things that are better picked up than mailed when possible.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try a fish order from Saltwaterfish.com. This will be an interesting experiment to see how it goes. Their address is a warehouse not far from where I live but they will not let people come to pickup their order in person. It has to be shipped at high risk and cost. The same thing held true for Reef Cleaners which sells Florida Reef Rock. They are a couple miles away from me but would let me pickup the rock there. It has to be shipped at high cost. Both of them are online only and said it was because they are in a location that is not zoned for retail. I guess that saves them money to not be in the retail game but at the same time, livestock and heavy rocks are things that are better picked up than mailed when possible.

That is just dumb not allowing local pickup. They should just say act like a delivery driver for a courier service when you come over. Pickup and go or they should have an employee drive it over.

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is just dumb not allowing local pickup. They should just say act like a delivery driver for a courier service when you come over. Pickup and go or they should have an employee drive it over.

Well it is interesting because the FEDEX tracking on the fish order shows it came from Los Angeles. So my guess is their FL address is not a fish facility at all.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is interesting because the FEDEX tracking on the fish order shows it came from Los Angeles. So my guess is their FL address is not a fish facility at all.
It may be that they have fish in FL but did not have your fish in stock so they drop shipped it from their supplier in LA?

Great build. I'm thrilled with my 240g. I can't imagine having one this size.

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be that they have fish in FL but did not have your fish in stock so they drop shipped it from their supplier in LA?

Great build. I'm thrilled with my 240g. I can't imagine having one this size.

Thanks, it still looks huge every time I see it. Cabinetry is coming in a week which will really finish it off.

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Results from Saltwaterfish.com. One chromie was DOA. A second chromie survived the night but dead the next day. The rest are healthy and eating well. I used their guarantee policy and they refunded the cost. Just had to attach a photo with a comment on their website and they took care of it. Still hate to loose them even if its only a $4 fish.

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My HVAC guy is scheduled to arrive tomorrow to replace the fan motor in the compressor for my chiller (brand new chiller and it was delivered with a defective motor) :-(

I have been running a large fan to keep things cool which has worked fine but I have a lot of evaporation and since I don't have my ATO installed yet it has been a pain keeping up with it manually. Will be happy when that is done.

So far things have been going smoothly. I have 4 chromies, 3 banggai cardinals, 3 pajama cardinals, 2 tiny percula clowns and 1 tiny hippo tang. They are health and eating well although they look like tiny dots in a vast ocean.... that is totally OK with me for now. :)

Cabinetry and lights are scheduled for Tuesday. Looking forward to wrapping that up.

OP
OP
Reef_Hobbyist

Reef_Hobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cabinetry arrived and installed on schedule. Hope to have the lights hung by end of week.

20151110_142335.jpg
20151110_113614.jpg
20151110_115306.jpg
20151110_115314.jpg
20151110_142135.jpg
20151110_142153.jpg
20151110_142233.jpg
20151110_142257.jpg

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back