My adventure with Zoa Pox

Angryminer_07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently found out the little spots I noticed a while back on my Fire and Ice zoa frag I bought online are zoa pox and they seem to be spreading some in the colony. It's taken 1.5 mths to move to a couple other heads but Im quite sure their spreading. After doing some reading, I purchased some Furan 2 and started the dip process (no room for a coral QT tank). I did my first dip today and popped the spots.

Im looking for anyone who has had a good experience with this and if there are any major pitfalls? If this doesn't work, what's the next step?

I also had 2 other zoa colonies and 1 paly on the same rock. I removed the affected colony and placed it on my frag rack in another place in the tank to separate it and allow for the daily dips. The unaffected ones are new colonies and currently do not show any signs of the pox. The affected one was a good 3-4 inches away from the next closest. My tanks parm's stay pretty steady with the exception of pH which moves between 8.1-8.3 with 2 part dosing, Co2 media exhaustion, and at night. Nitrates 1, Phos 0, Ca ~400, Mg 1300, Salinity 34, temp 78 +/- 0.5 degree. I'm trying to increase the phos/nitrates some by backing off my GFO, etc. I've run it relatively low since the tank started and everything is tolerating it well and thriving including the affected zoa colony.

OP
OP
Angryminer_07

Angryminer_07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My idiot self didn’t take any pre treatment pics. I’ll take some today when I do my 3rd dip. So far the spots I’ve decompressed have not returned. I found a couple yesterday I didn’t get the first day. Zoas colony opens up soon after reintroducing to the tank and seems to tolerate it so far.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back