My anemones are not as colorful as these, what can I do to help them be more colorful?

mikes686

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This nem is a Sebea anemone with a bright purple foot. This is my pic. We are using Ocean Revive T247 leds. It's a few inches below the main flow of the gyre pump. That's the spot it picked.
20181010_163736_1540218615844.jpeg

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dedicated anemone tank. Up and running for seven years now. The trick? No trick! Buy good specimens- even the same color morphs have different genetics. One man’s black widow might be another man’s dog of a black widow- so quality colored specimen is key to start with. 2) tall and medium height rock work with holes for specimens to roost in. Security sense effects spreading and that effects colors 3) right parameters - 1025 SG and 76F water. 4) feed small amounts more frequently than big amounts not so often. Mine get small prey almost daily and a chuck of flesh ( scallops or shrimp or squid weekly) the size of a postage stamp for grapefruit size specimens 4) finally lighting! Very important. They like metal Halide best. But LED will be ok too. Metal halide brings on deep color. LED more delicate color. But with LED you ramp up the blues and they look great! Warning- with 50% blue they will only want to live close to the surface but will split regularly. Metal halide will allow for multi level living. Of course intensity can vary things.

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dedicated anemone tank. Up and running for seven years now. The trick? No trick! Buy good specimens- even the same color morphs have different genetics. One man’s black widow might be another man’s dog of a black widow- so quality colored specimen is key to start with. 2) tall and medium height rock work with holes for specimens to roost in. Security sense effects spreading and that effects colors 3) right parameters - 1025 SG and 76F water. 4) feed small amounts more frequently than big amounts not so often. Mine get small prey almost daily and a chuck of flesh ( scallops or shrimp or squid weekly) the size of a postage stamp for grapefruit size specimens 4) finally lighting! Very important. They like metal Halide best. But LED will be ok too. Metal halide brings on deep color. LED more delicate color. But with LED you ramp up the blues and they look great! Warning- with 50% blue they will only want to live close to the surface but will split regularly. Metal halide will allow for multi level living. Of course intensity can vary things.
Great info, thanks!

NewbieReefer11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to mention that some of the anemones pictured cost $500-$1500. They are that expensive because they are rare and extremely bright. A basic Rose bubble tip anemone (RBTA) will cost around $40-$60 for a small 2-3 inch nem. A basic RBTA is nice and can glow but still will never look like the pictures posted. It should also be mentioned that the nems pictured are likely in very established tanks with hobbyist who have a lot of experience. Although there are many budget builds out there I feel most people still have a few thousand invested in their tanks (equipment and livestock). I would recommend keeping up with your current tank an take the time learning. Save money and in a year or 2 you can upgrade to what you consider being your dream build. By that time you will be more experienced and know the type of equipment you want.
Wow!! Wish rbtas were that cheap in australia here they r like 300 to 600

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to mention that some of the anemones pictured cost $500-$1500. They are that expensive because they are rare and extremely bright. A basic Rose bubble tip anemone (RBTA) will cost around $40-$60 for a small 2-3 inch nem. A basic RBTA is nice and can glow but still will never look like the pictures posted. It should also be mentioned that the nems pictured are likely in very established tanks with hobbyist who have a lot of experience. Although there are many budget builds out there I feel most people still have a few thousand invested in their tanks (equipment and livestock). I would recommend keeping up with your current tank an take the time learning. Save money and in a year or 2 you can upgrade to what you consider being your dream build. By that time you will be more experienced and know the type of equipment you want.
They are expensive because there are suckers willing to pay stupid prices for them. Being deceived by fancy names, linage that is totally irelevent and deceptive photos. Anemones will change colors based on condition, lighting and probably food. Paying $1500 for one does not guarentee it will look any better than a $60 anemone in your tank.

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't come down to just lights. Everyone keeps telling you its species specific. This is my baby. No kessil. No high dollar lights no trick photography or special lenses or photoshop....just a good ole fashioned original colorado sunburst under t5s. [emoji7] isnt she gorgeous? Btw...I have a baby for sale if anyone is interested...PM me.
Screenshot_20181008-171919_Gallery.jpeg

garethwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns will host in a condy eventually! three years I waited for this
Your Haitians are bleached, ie, not enough light = not enough photosynthesis from zozanthelle (sp?) = lighter/brighter colors. Some stores do this on purpose, sadly, so that the nems appear bright & glowy.

The algae in their tissues needs light to grow. As they get healthier with better light, they will be more brownish in natural light. But if you add a good actinic or 50/50 light, you will see your nems glowing faintly in their own unique way. Not like the pic (which was a different species plus specialized lighting). But still very beautiful! Mine glows green. It's so cool.

When I bought my Haitian, it was all WHITE with purple tips like yours. And my other one was lavender. But I take much more pride in having a healthy nem than a "colorful" (aka bleached and starving) nem. Mine started getting tiny tan spots as the zozanthelle started growing back, and the spots continued getting bigger until the nem was a solid pinkish-peachy-tan color.

Good luck! They are beautiful!

PS - Clowns don't host these guys, not sure if you were wanting that eventually but if so, you'll want a bubble tip nem or another hosting species.
9f3d6fb31c8c19ededf1d910451ff082.jpg

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A t5 light is. Ot a high dollar specialty light. I've seen map versions for as low as 45 bux and alot of times you can find a used set up even cheaper. If he cant afford a t5 light then he shouldn't even be in this hobby. A t5 is a minimal requirement. Corals are photosenthetic. That means they need light to live. They feed mainly off ofnthe vitamins the light emits so that they keep zooanthelae. If you can't afford a t5 then stop what you're doing now. Seriously. You have no business doing this. You wants exceed your needs.

somethinq else

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize that was a typo. I meant to say a t5 light is NOT a high dollar light. He doesn't have to spend 2 or 300 bux on an ati. And the nem I posted isnt a rainbow. Its an authentic Colorado sunburst. Doesn't matter what light you use the color is just the color. But like some one mentioned, that is the difference between a 20 dollar nem and a 2000 dollar nem. You cant change genetics. That's what makes certain nems so rare and so pricey. Unfortunately this hobby isnt for everyone. And I agree with a couple of other posts, that is a condy. Unfortunantly ypu can blast it with as much blue light as you want and the most that will happen is younger a light color of green or pink to it from the blue spectrum. If you want bright colors, pull out the piggy bank and buy one with bright colors. Not trying to sound mean or nasty but indont think the OP truly understands what genetics are and how your cant change them just simply because you have wants and decide to throw a certain specteum at them. Yes lights can alter the intensity of the base color but it's not going to give rainbow colors to a condy. Not even if you spray painted it. LoL.

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns will host in a condy eventually! three years I waited for this
9f3d6fb31c8c19ededf1d910451ff082.jpg
I also had a clown host a Haitian.... but I figured it was because the clown was super stressed.

Turned out he had velvet and died within two days.

But you are right about clowns hosting whatever they want, whenever they choose.... I've seen clowns hosting clams!

Beautiful pic, by the way! :)

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are expensive because there are suckers willing to pay stupid prices for them. Being deceived by fancy names, linage that is totally irelevent and deceptive photos. Anemones will change colors based on condition, lighting and probably food. Paying $1500 for one does not guarentee it will look any better than a $60 anemone in your tank.
You don't actually believe there is no difference between some of the nems like Colorado sunburst and a rose or green bta do you? I mean yea, put the two in a tank not suited for them and they likely will both look like crap. But I wouldn't go even close to as far as saying they'd look the same based on lighting.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think your lights or filtration are the factors here, start with an actual colorful species of Nem it seems you own a condy anemone which are tipicaly white with purple tips, the ones being compared are bubble tip anemone which are very colorful even the dull looking ones compared to a condy which only it’s foot is colorful I have seen some with red/orange foot

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't come down to just lights. Everyone keeps telling you its species specific. This is my baby. No kessil. No high dollar lights no trick photography or special lenses or photoshop....just a good ole fashioned original colorado sunburst under t5s. [emoji7] isnt she gorgeous? Btw...I have a baby for sale if anyone is interested...PM me.
Screenshot_20181008-171919_Gallery.jpeg
Gaahhhhhh so pretty...... [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw, Condy nems are aggressive, and it's not advisable to keep BTAs and condies together. In case you were considering adding a BTA or other nem.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This nem is a Sebea anemone with a bright purple foot. This is my pic. We are using Ocean Revive T247 leds. It's a few inches below the main flow of the gyre pump. That's the spot it picked.
20181010_163736_1540218615844.jpeg

I don't think this is a sebae, especially if it has a bright purple foot, looks and sounds like a magnifica to me.
Maybe post pics of foot and base for ID

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I look for when looking at pics is anything that gives me an idea what colors are being projected onto the animal, so if I see a hand that is purple, it tends to make me go hmm...:)

So when I see a pic like DSC reef posted of his lightning, w/ nice mostly white stripes, I know it's showing true colors of the animals in pics, and that is a very nice RBTA! (and lightning)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 144 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back