my anenome doesn’t like its light and I don’t know what to do?

Alexusto1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anenome had a very bad light i have a 20g and the light was at a 21w and i got a new kessil light that has 160w but i know you are supposed to let them get used to it but i barely even put it on 10% and he just try’s to hide and now he is looking sick. I don’t know what else to do? the light has been there for 2 weeks now and he still hides and now he’s looking really bad please help!

OP
OP
Alexusto1

Alexusto1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
46CCF60F-0B8D-4C93-9A26-2032A4B92EE1.jpeg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if its the kessil then id change back to the other light.

OP
OP
Alexusto1

Alexusto1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it was bleaching with that that light so i’m kind of lost

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats all your water parameters?

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, it is advisable to wait six months to a year for the tank to grow the bacteria that the anenome needs to survive before adding an Anenome

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well anemones arent the easiest to keep. Id reccomend 1.026 with a refractometer. 1.024 is a little low imo. What device do you use to measure salinity?

What about alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, potassium, nitrate and phosphate?

OP
OP
Alexusto1

Alexusto1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don’t check my other levels don’t have a device for it

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don’t check my other levels don’t have a device for it
Thats probably part of the reason its doing bad. If you can do a water change like 80% it may help. Ime they dont make it when they look like that though. Also if it needs no3 or po4 and you reduce it more from a water change it may stress it more.

Kristophf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing to a bta a not long ago, he almost died cause of lack of lighting. Went and got some radions and put him in a tank on his own as he almost killed the entire tank. I started very low at like 5% and acclimated up. It also helped me to get a seneye par meter to know what par i had and what i had and what im working up too. The bta still hasnt fully recovered and its been maybe 2 months now

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move the light further away for a bit if it's still hiding..... make it move toward the light and then slowly move the light down.

Kristophf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a seneye. All you can do is keep all parameters good. And turn the light up very slowly. Also read up about nems and anything else's requirements before you decide to buy it. It looks like a gigantea?

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please go invest in proper nitrate and phosphate test kits, sailfert are excellent and only $10-15 each. If you want to keep advanced critters such as anemones you must test and you should wait at least 6 months (and really a year if your new at this) before adding them. These animals live for decades in the wild so we owe it to them to provide them with the best chance of survival while in our care...

As for the anemone you posted, slow acclimation to the new light is key especially if it is bleached. The hiding from the light is a normal response and it will slowly work its way out into the light over a few weeks if it is healthy. Unfortunately that nem does not look even remotely healthy and will likely die even if it was placed in a thriving mature system. To try and bring it back though you want to a) do not turn up the lights more then a hair turn each week and b) try feeding it a very small piece of frozen food (like the size of a pencil eraser at most) the to see if it will take it. If it takes the food you stand a solid chance at saving it by feeding it eraser sized offerings 2-3 times a week.

Also, can we please stop telling people to go buy a $200 piece of equipment when they don’t even have basic test kits. It does our hobby a disservice...

Last edited:

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not go back to the old light that’s foolish try to shade the nem and let it slowly acclimate to the new light . Your tank is very new and still building bacteria I would also NOT do a 80 percent water change smaller changes over time. Your nem looks bad but I’ve seen worse bounce back you need to test everything so I would advise getting a test kit.

Kristophf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your willing to spend $200 + on a nem you should be more than cabable of spending that on equipment that will give you an idea of whats going on. Test kits are a prettt basic given. The fact that an LFS could have sold you that without making sure you were prepared is a real problem too

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back