My aquarium company sucks! How do I change?

SharkBait5337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started working with a company in September and they are extremely unresponsive to phone calls and emails. They keep providing excuses for why their inventory is low or not available on a given schedule service call. We are at the point where our ecosystem is healthy and ready to be generously populated with fish and corals, but the company has only had a sparse stock. We do not have a service agreement with them so I want to walk away and find a new company. What do I need to know? Thanks

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused.....I read the title that you were waiting for your aquarium to be built. You are using the company to maintain and stock? Is that because you don't know how or you just don't want to deal with that stuff on your own? If you don't have a contract it is as easy as walking away.....I am not sure how difficult it would be to find another since I have never looked into something like that though. Shouldn't be hard finding a maintenance company......finding one to stock your tank might be a little more difficult. Right now stock is pretty low everywhere unfortunately. Welcome to R2R BTW :)

OP
OP
S

SharkBait5337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused.....I read the title that you were waiting for your aquarium to be built. You are using the company to maintain and stock? Is that because you don't know how or you just don't want to deal with that stuff on your own? If you don't have a contract it is as easy as walking away.....I am not sure how difficult it would be to find another since I have never looked into something like that though. Shouldn't be hard finding a maintenance company......finding one to stock your tank might be a little more difficult. Right now stock is pretty low everywhere unfortunately. Welcome to R2R BTW :)
Apologies for the confusion - the aquarium is in my boss' s office, and we had it built and installed in September. The aquarium company we have built it for us, maintains it bi-weekly, and is our current stock source. It is not a personal tank and is visible to all employees, so we would like to eventually have it populated abundantly (as is reasonable and healthy of course). No contract in place, so walking away is definitely a possibility. I am not a passive "fish feeder" btw; I have taken the time to research and learn about maintaining saltwater reefs, different species etc. so I can participate in their care and maintenance. Because I don't know enough yet and don't want to hurt the current ecosystem, I'm worried about going to a different stock source for fish and corals, and if for some reason their stock is sick, is not quarantined the same way, etc. the tank will get ruined. It is good to know though that stock is low in general, so that makes me back off a bit on that. We're just happy and excited to have the tank and enjoy it very much. Thanks for the welcome. Still learning, reading and researching. I have claimed co-ownership of the tank with my boss. :)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for the confusion - the aquarium is in my boss' s office, and we had it built and installed in September. The aquarium company we have built it for us, maintains it bi-weekly, and is our current stock source. It is not a personal tank and is visible to all employees, so we would like to eventually have it populated abundantly (as is reasonable and healthy of course). No contract in place, so walking away is definitely a possibility. I am not a passive "fish feeder" btw; I have taken the time to research and learn about maintaining saltwater reefs, different species etc. so I can participate in their care and maintenance. Because I don't know enough yet and don't want to hurt the current ecosystem, I'm worried about going to a different stock source for fish and corals, and if for some reason their stock is sick, is not quarantined the same way, etc. the tank will get ruined. It is good to know though that stock is low in general, so that makes me back off a bit on that. We're just happy and excited to have the tank and enjoy it very much. Thanks for the welcome. Still learning, reading and researching. I have claimed co-ownership of the tank with my boss. :)
Ahhhh, ok. That makes sense. You are pretty much stuck unfortunately since you have to locally source everything....unless you have another LFS in your area. There are places you can order online that quarantine their fish, but then you would be responsible for everything (not sure if that is something you would want to do in an office tank or not). I would not worry about hurting the ecosystem. Just add fish slowly and everything will be fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back