What would you want in an aquarium services company?

Fam5dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Im a handy guy who has been in the hobby for decades. I want to start a side business that I can build into my main source of income in a few years. I don't feel running a storefront LFS is where I want to go because internet sales eat their lunch. I want to focus more on residential and commercial aquarium consulting and services. My question is do you see value in any of these ideas below? Would you seek out any of these services if they were available in your area? Are there any other services you may want yourself if such a company existed? Thanks in advance!
  • Training
  • System Design Services
    • Equipment specing
    • Equipment sales
  • Build Services
    • Installation
    • Stands & Canopies
  • Troubleshooting
    • System overview
    • Emergency Quarantine
  • Maintenance Services
    • Water Changes
    • Aquarium moving
    • Vacation oversight and feeding

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an LFS that provides services while I'm travelling.

Basically while I'm away they are on 24/7 call if I detect a problem remotely and they are authorised to do whatever it takes to keep the tank going.

If I'm out of internet area, they monitor the tank using login details I give them.

Obviously they charge a fee for being on call, and I pay their costs if they need to respond.

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is based on my humble opinion-
1. Build of actual aquarium is not necessary; I'd rather that be left to the experts.
2. Moving: Co-coordinating installation of a large aquarium is a huge bonus.
3. Building: stand, canopies and installation.
4. Equipment: sales, installation and spec.
5. Aquascaping: coral placement - same for FW but plant placement. This can make or break you IMO. Like ADG Aquariums is in high demand due to their ability to aquascape. This can include fish recommendations.
6. Services: feeding, waterchanges, maintenance, etc.

But honestly, aquascaping will make you a star in this sector and highly desirable.

OP
OP
Fam5dad

Fam5dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is based on my humble opinion-
1. Build of actual aquarium is not necessary; I'd rather that be left to the experts.
2. Moving: Co-coordinating installation of a large aquarium is a huge bonus.
3. Building: stand, canopies and installation.
4. Equipment: sales, installation and spec.
5. Aquascaping: coral placement - same for FW but plant placement. This can make or break you IMO. Like ADG Aquariums is in high demand due to their ability to aquascape. This can include fish recommendations.
6. Services: feeding, waterchanges, maintenance, etc.

But honestly, aquascaping will make you a star in this sector and highly desirable.
Thanks for the feedback. The aquascaping is a great point and something I've overlooked because I'm so much in the do it myself mindset. Your right though. A lot of people want the tank set up and are totally hands off. This is an area I should brush up on. Thanks!

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me;

Reliable and careful moving services

Building and setting up a tank - glass is heavy, and I don't always have the ability to diy everything.

Equipment sales and servicing. I would absolutely pay someone to come out every few months and clean my pumps and equipment well.

I agree with Raul with coral/plant placement, and aquascaping even though I quite enjoy that aspect of the hobby. But also things like cycling out and replacing sand every few years as needed.

Vacations services, check ins, water changes, maintenance, emergency management (this is something my friend who works at our lfs offers privately, and honestly he has saved my tank because of it.)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back