My argument for fancy $$$$ lights for a FOWLR

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey now. Just a thought...

I understand a FOWLR doesn’t need nice light. But you can’t sit here and tell me that using a Better light wouldn’t make your fishes color pop. Forget about par, forget about the scientific stuff. A royal blue on a Radion or AI or kessil. looks 10x better than an aqueon, Fluval, or any other house brand light.

I was At a LFS (not one I normally go to) and I was told I could use anything. So I said “the Fluval has as dynamic yet natural whites and blues as an AI prime?” He said the prime was better no comparison color wise. He compared it as the Fluval being 420p and the Prime being true 4k. So I asked “them why the hell wouldn’t I use the prime?”
I then asked if he would use the Fluval...I’m gonna let you guess what he said.

Now the Fluval is not a bad light. But it serves as food for thought.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a fancy light makes even more sense for a FOWLR because it’s literally all about appearance. You’d want superior blending and color rendition which means $$$

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean its your money Lol. If you've got it to spend on nicer equipment, go for it. Also serves a dual purpose if you do decide to add coral later on

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a fancy light makes even more sense for a FOWLR because it’s literally all about appearance. You’d want superior blending and color rendition which means $$$
Absolutely this ^

Reefers tune their lights for coral pop, makes absolute sense that the fowlr crowd would tune their lights for fish pop.

Makes sense op

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a set of current usa pro lights for sale in the classifieds they're better than the fuval I think. It made my fish look really good but it'll also support low light coral if you choose

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel bad for fish that have to live under artificial light. It must be like living at a disco, right?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used lower wattage metal halides for my FOWLRs. It does make the fish look better, has better shimmer lines and all together looked nice. Keep in mind that while fish are colorful, they will not pop with black light like corals will. 14k or 20k is about as blue as you need for fish and most look best around 10k. The coralline will also really grow well if you can keep the N and P down.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a personal decision, but after discussing lighting for almost 30 years, don't forget an important fact of life: The Wife Factor. If the light makes the carpet look ugly, you'll be glad you change alter the spectrum to make her happy. It has really happened.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even cheap 6500k LEDs pop most fish colors just fine..
One of the better fish color combos is 6500-700K white/660nm red
There is a lot of blue and green in the white diode.

Add violetand or blue green to taste..

Think it would be best to decide on what you want it to look like including if there is any particular bandwidth you care to highlight..

Chinese black boxes really are versatile in this area.

Instead of blue w/ a little white just use white w/ a little blue..

JDa's point is also quite valid.
W/ LED's wouldn't go "20000" K though.

If you want to sort of emulate color at various depths that is another issue altogether.

In fw good color puts you at or below (into the magenta tones) I assume for sw you want to be above in the green-blue range w/ just enough not to wash out the "other than blue" colors

plot.JPG

29.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a personal decision, but after discussing lighting for almost 30 years, don't forget an important fact of life: The Wife Factor. If the light makes the carpet look ugly, you'll be glad you change alter the spectrum to make her happy. It has really happened.

In the audiophile world, and I’m sure in others, there is the WAF (wife acceptance factor).

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.8%
Back