My awesome view of my tank this weekend...

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Thanks a lot Dino algae...now my tank gets to look like a UPS package for 3 days. Fingers crossed that the blackout works!

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol they had UV’s 35+ years ago?!?
You incorrectly inferred I ran uv for35+ years. What I said was I've never had dinos in 35+ years. I didn't keep track of when I started running uv since I never assumed the date was important. It has been a long time.

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You incorrectly inferred I ran uv for35+ years. What I said was I've never had dinos in 35+ years. I didn't keep track of when I started running uv since I never assumed the date was important. It has been a long time.
“You incorrectly inferred....” why do people get so stupid on this forum? Overly sensitive. Naw, You incorrectly structured your statement and left room for someone to ask for clarification. You could have just clarified without screwing up the entire friendly tone of the conversation smh
#Reef2Reef

OP
OP
KellyCorals

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol oh no ‍♀️ is this your first try to get rid of them?
Never had dinos in 35+ years, have always ran a uv, I assume thats another benefit from a uv?

Yes this is my first attempt to get rid of them...kinda. I tried everything else first...installed a 36w UV, increased nutrients...played with the light spectrum and schedule...dosed extra bacteria and pods...just about everything. Finally decided to try the black out after giving other attempts some time to work. I wondering first hand if people have had luck with blacking the tank out.

OP
OP
KellyCorals

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider increase your temp. I increased my tank temp to 82 F and it took care of my Dino.

Ive been running my tank at 80 and usually with the lights on for a couple hours the tank temp will creep up to 81-82. But still no luck on taking down the Dino’s. Since they all but “disappear” by magic when the light are off I’m thinking this might be the final solution to at least get them under control. A UV is great for taking care of dino spores floating in the water, but after you already have them covering the sand bed and rocks the UV does squat for those. That being said I’m running my UV 24 hours during the black out and plan to keep it on that way forever - might be my imagination but it seems to improve water clarity.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 years of battling dinoflagellates and trying everything in the book. None of which worked, until I raised my temp to 81. Within a week it was gone. I keep my system now at 80 degrees. It is dependent on what type of dinoflagellate you have on what course of action you take. I had ostreopsis.

OP
OP
KellyCorals

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 years of battling dinoflagellates and trying everything in the book. None of which worked, until I raised my temp to 81. Within a week it was gone. I keep my system now at 80 degrees. It is dependent on what type of dinoflagellate you have on what course of action you take. I had ostreopsis.

I think there is a valid point to be made here...depending on what type of Dino algae I have will depend on what method of getting rid of them will work. That’s why if you ask 10 different people you will get 10 different answers about how to win the war but none of them the same. Some people say UV, other nutrients, other Dino’s just “time out” eventually and fix them selfs. I’m trying this next and if no luck then it’s time to find a lab scope and go Full Bill Nye on these jerks.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is a valid point to be made here...depending on what type of Dino algae I have will depend on what method of getting rid of them will work. That’s why if you ask 10 different people you will get 10 different answers about how to win the war but none of them the same. Some people say UV, other nutrients, other Dino’s just “time out” eventually and fix them selfs. I’m trying this next and if no luck then it’s time to find a lab scope and go Full Bill Nye on these ********.

I would highly suggest a microscope ID.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small fight with dino's. I didnt have to completely cover my tank ( its in the garage and gets pretty dark ) but shut down the lights for 3 days , turned them back on for 2 then shut them down for 3 days again. It worked

BradR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had luck with doubling my fish feedings and blasting it with a baster. Zero phos I think was the reason. Like the condemned sign lol.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back