OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through dinos myself 3 days after blackout now and dont see nothing, has your phosphates been dropping a ton now? I ive been having to dose 30ml of neophos on my 75 gallon just to keep it above 0.
The blackout didn’t work for me, so I’m glad it helped you!

My phosphates didn’t drop further, but they maintained at 0.05ppm. I haven’t started dosing trisodium phosphate yet since I’m in the middle of moving into a different system, so I’ve been feeding with amino acids and Reef-Roids to keep nitrates and phosphates above 0ppm.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following @nickkohrn I've been battling ostreopsis for several months now. At least we can give each other moral support!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you done to try beating them back?
I have a 25w Aqua UV sterilizer running in/out of the display. Before that I tried a blackout with Dr. Tim's Wasteaway and Refresh regimen but they came right back. I've tried dosing NO3/PO4 but really all that seemed to do was fuel a nasty hair algae outbreak.

One odd thing throughout this is coralline has not been growing in this tank. I wonder if the dino toxins are suppresing it it is really odd to me.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blackout didn’t work for me, so I’m glad it helped you!

My phosphates didn’t drop further, but they maintained at 0.05ppm. I haven’t started dosing trisodium phosphate yet since I’m in the middle of moving into a different system, so I’ve been feeding with amino acids and Reef-Roids to keep nitrates and phosphates above 0ppm.
I forgot to say that i had to do a 2nd blackout because it didnt work either, what did the trick was getting a 1 micron sock since dinos cant go through it and blow off as much as the dinos as you can right before the blackout so they go through the sock on the sump. I also did heavy doses of microbacter 7 and phosphates to keep phosphates at 0.10 in the 3 day blackout. So far dinos havent popped up even though i still blow my rocks with my turkey baster every night for this week.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25w Aqua UV sterilizer running in/out of the display. Before that I tried a blackout with Dr. Tim's Wasteaway and Refresh regimen but they came right back. I've tried dosing NO3/PO4 but really all that seemed to do was fuel a nasty hair algae outbreak.

One odd thing throughout this is coralline has not been growing in this tank. I wonder if the dino toxins are suppresing it it is really odd to me.
For how long did you let the hair algae stick around? I ask because it should have began outcompeting the dinoflagellates. Although it is an eyesore, the hair algae may give you some relief.

I forgot to say that i had to do a 2nd blackout because it didnt work either, what did the trick was getting a 1 micron sock since dinos cant go through it and blow off as much as the dinos as you can right before the blackout so they go through the sock on the sump. I also did heavy doses of microbacter 7 and phosphates to keep phosphates at 0.10 in the 3 day blackout. So far dinos havent popped up even though i still blow my rocks with my turkey baster every night for this week.
I didn’t do a second blackout because my corals were already quite stressed. I do run two MP40s on 100% Reefcrest, so that acts as a frequent basting in my 3’x2’x2’ tank. I’m moving into a 40-gallon breeder, so the amount of flow that I’ll be using should keep the dinoflagellates off of my corals.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For how long did you let the hair algae stick around? I ask because it should have began outcompeting the dinoflagellates. Although it is an eyesore, the hair algae may give you some relief.
It has been a few months. I was hoping this would be the case as well. Dinos end up forming a thick mat on the back wall and glass but there may not be as much over top of the hair algae.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dinos are pretty much gone. Imo the key is to blow all the rocks and sand. At least for my type the UV alone was not doing much. Blowing the rocks helped a lot!

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dinos are pretty much gone. Imo the key is to blow all the rocks and sand. At least for my type the UV alone was not doing much. Blowing the rocks helped a lot!
That’s great! I’m glad you have been able to gain traction and see them disappear.

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just beat dinos after a 4 month battle (i think)... what i did

- 4 day blackout
- 25watt aqua uv (to and from display)
- dosed 15ml of microbacter7 daily (reefer 350, so 91 total gallons)
- removed skimmer cup and let it bubble over

The blackout ended on Tuesday. Its been 5 days without a visible trace of dinos. The blackout also removed all the GHA too. I did does 10ml of vibrant 3 days prior to blackout. This was my first ever dose of the product to the tank. That may have played a role in all of this too...

I plan on removing the UV today... a little nervous to do so. I am closely monitoring nitrates and phosphates going forward and complete multiple tests each week.

IMG_1277.jpg

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What level are you keeping your nutrients at? I just found out that this whole time my cyano problem was actually a dino problem.
I thought I was getting cyano. But looked microscope and what the heck!

I don't know what the heck to do no3 is like 16 to 20

I'm doing reef flux for bryopsis and vibrant dosing I gotta do fluconazole again as day 17 it's not all gone. I don't know what to do

IMG_3933_01.jpg

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What level are you keeping your nutrients at? I just found out that this whole time my cyano problem was actually a dino problem.
Check out my build thread - i post parameters often. I have struggled to keep phosphates up. My test today was 0.00ppm. Haven't had to dose NeoPhos for awhile...but had to today.

Do you currently have Dinos? If so, know the type?

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my build thread - i post parameters often. I have struggled to keep phosphates up. My test today was 0.00ppm. Haven't had to dose NeoPhos for awhile...but had to today.

Do you currently have Dinos? If so, know the type?

I think they're Ostreopsis. I've been dealing with this since Oct/Nov after I unknowingly let my nutrients bottom out for too long. Suddenly all the gha in my sump disappeared and at the same time my diamond goby decided to commit suicide. Then this reddish brown stuff formed in my sand. When I realized my nutrients were 0, I stopped the GFO and started feeding more. My nitrates shot up to 40ppm and phosphates to 1. Eventually I got them stabilize to nitrates anywhere from 2-10ppm and phosphates anywhere from 25-125 on Hanna ULR. But I still had this stuff all over my sand and rocks. I thought it was cyano, so I tried to siphon it out and I did a three day blackout twice, but it came back within a day. My nitrates recently went up as high as 20 (sand sifting starfish disappeared so I'm guessing that's why). Came down to 5-10 for a while, but this stuff wouldn't go away. I was getting ready to use chemiclean, but then my nutrients bottomed out to 0 again. I thought maybe I should be 100% sure first. Low and behold, it turned out to be dinos.

20200331_210240.jpg 20200331_210258.jpg

SCHAULJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dinos are back... devastated. I don't get it. I test often and have "nutrients" in the tank. Phosphates are consistently .03ppm (1 time it registered 0) or higher and nitrates are typically higher than 4ppm.

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dinos are back... devastated. I don't get it. I test often and have "nutrients" in the tank. Phosphates are consistently .03ppm (1 time it registered 0) or higher and nitrates are typically higher than 4ppm.
I can't say what they should or should not be but I will say this... I'm finally getting over them. I've targeted .1 for phosphate and 10 for nitrate. I do have a lot of hair algae and cyano right now... but the dinos are gone.

I would suggest sticking with it.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back