My Bean Animal dry fit so Far

DIYReefer2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Bean Animal dry fit so Far. Any Suggestions. It's 2 1inch bulkheads with an internal weir box and 1inch orange pvc drains. What is the best size pvc to use for the single return? I have 1 inch bulkheads and was planning on using 3/4 inch pvc. Should I use reducers or buy a 3/4 inch bulkheads?
20190118_181423~2.jpeg

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the siphon even further down. Also tuning it with that ball valve will be frustrating. To give you an idea of when I tune mine, I need to turn my gate valve maybe 10 degrees at a time. It’s the difference between noise and silence. I can’t imagine it being successful with a ball valve.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also test the height of that first by blocking the siphon and pouring water into the overflow. Test it for water height and noise. It is the most critical one to get the right height, IMO.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My setup looks similar to yours, although a couple small differences:

- I just have a strainer on top of the main drain instead of the inverted U that you have (not sure if it makes much difference though).

- I also have a Maggie Muffler (works like a Durso) on the top of my middle drain, which makes it even more quiet even though not much water normally goes into that drain.

Agree a gate valve might be better, but mine works fine with a ball valve, just have to be very patient and make very small tweaks when adjusting.

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the valve down farther...where you can get to it from under the tank.

As for the elbow on the suction pipe... you really don't even have to have anything on it. You could completely remove that pipe from inside the box and it won't make any difference....other than it may sound different when you have powered the pump off and back on.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back