My bean animal setup

roggy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was told I dont need a durso on my secondary.. so basically I just have open pipes in my overflow box for all my 3 drains, is this ok? The pipes are short, medium secondary, to emergency being tallest.

Is it ideal to make my secondary a durso standpipe I stead of just a pipe sticking up?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main drain and secondary drain have gate valves, and my emergency overflow drain has a ball valve. I suppose in theory you could get away with no valves at all, but then you have no flexibility in terms of the ‘mix’ going down into the sump (if you are directing water to different parts of your sump, especially) and have no noise control if you need it. Hope this helps.

B0E2DFD0-0F4E-400C-8451-6BA96231555B.jpeg

OP
OP
R

roggy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My main drain and secondary drain have gate valves, and my emergency overflow drain has a ball valve. I suppose in theory you could get away with no valves at all, but then you have no flexibility in terms of the ‘mix’ going down into the sump (if you are directing water to different parts of your sump, especially) and have no noise control if you need it. Hope this helps.

B0E2DFD0-0F4E-400C-8451-6BA96231555B.jpeg
Thanks but I was referring to the pipes inside the overflow box.. do you guys have elbows for durso or is it just pipes straight up open.. my tank manufacture said no need for dursos on a bean animal

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. Lol. All 3 of mine are straight open top pipes— no elbows, T’s, drilled holes, nothing fancy. Main and secondary are both cut short— almost flush; emergency is taller. :)

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three drains in my overflow box. The main is 2" high, the secondary is 3" high, and the emergency is 4" high. Due to my pipe being 1.5", I couldn't fit a durso on my secondary. I only have a ball-valve on my primary. My overflow is very quiet when running: full-siphon on primary and just-below/trickle on secondary. My setup is probably more sensitive due to not having durso, but it is still quiet when adjusted. I have to occasionally adjust the primary valve as my return pump changes flow (buildup over time or after cleaning).

My main has a standpipe because without one, it is very noisy from water falling into box and hitting the bottom. Also, it was hard to start a siphon with so much turbulence.

OP
OP
R

roggy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sh
I have three drains in my overflow box. The main is 2" high, the secondary is 3" high, and the emergency is 4" high. Due to my pipe being 1.5", I couldn't fit a durso on my secondary. I only have a ball-valve on my primary. My overflow is very quiet when running: full-siphon on primary and just-below/trickle on secondary. My setup is probably more sensitive due to not having durso, but it is still quiet when adjusted. I have to occasionally adjust the primary valve as my return pump changes flow (buildup over time or after cleaning).

My main has a standpipe because without one, it is very noisy from water falling into box and hitting the bottom. Also, it was hard to start a siphon with so much turbulence.
Should the water be draining from main aggressively with bubbles all over?

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All three of my drains go all the way to my sump. This allows me to see if any of drains have bubbles. However, I primarily tune the ball-valve on primary drain based on noise. When there is no full-siphon on primary, then there is a loud sucking noise. When there is a full-siphon and too much into secondary (ball-valve too open), then there is a not-so-loud sucking noise and a lot of bubbles going into sump. My target for the ball-valve adjustment is near silence. When moving ball-valve, I make tiny adjustments and then wait for a few minutes. If the noise gets louder, then I move it the other way. Sometimes, the final adjustment is very, very slight (most likely due to not having durso on secondary).

OP
OP
R

roggy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All three of my drains go all the way to my sump. This allows me to see if any of drains have bubbles. However, I primarily tune the ball-valve on primary drain based on noise. When there is no full-siphon on primary, then there is a loud sucking noise. When there is a full-siphon and too much into secondary (ball-valve too open), then there is a not-so-loud sucking noise and a lot of bubbles going into sump. My target for the ball-valve adjustment is near silence. When moving ball-valve, I make tiny adjustments and then wait for a few minutes. If the noise gets louder, then I move it the other way. Sometimes, the final adjustment is very, very slight (most likely due to not having durso on secondary).
Ok this is helpful. Does full siphon mean the water is crashing down the main drain?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, "full siphon" can even have several inches of water above the open pipe-- like a full bathtub when the plug is first pulled.

jdstank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this is helpful. Does full siphon mean the water is crashing down the main drain?
Main should be full siphon, but controlled with a gate valve to keep the amount in check. Secondary should be just a small amount of water flowing into it, emergency should have nothing going into it, unless of course it’s an emergency where the main or secondary become obstructed and can’t keep up with the return pump.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back