OP
OP
Bongobasher

Bongobasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lovely looking zoas you have there. Can I ask what lighting and what your perameters are?
I had radio active dragons and I have whamming water melons, but for some reason the water melons aren't opening as much but did grow like mad originally, the dragon eyes i have, have just been closed for ages and have melted away over a few months, I have had a frag of uttter chaos zoas for nearly a year and it hasn't grown any new polyps. I just thought zoas were classed as a weed in some tanks. I cant seem to grow them any more.
Hi Nicolas,

My parameters do change a little from week to week but they are around the following: Cal:450 Mg:1380 Alk:8.3

Lighting: 3x Hydra 32HD over a 5 ft tank

People always say that zoanthids are an easy coral to look after but i have found them to be rather difficult. The more you have the harder it is. They are not a particularly demanding coral but do require care when positioning in the tank.

I have found that zoanthids in my tank have not opened well when phosphates levels were high. I have found the same thing happen when the Nitrates were too low! I think you need a stable low level of Nitrate and Phosphate in the water column to do well with them. You may want to test to see what levels you have for these.

If possible i would remove them from your tank and give your zoas a good clean in a coral dip or RO water to temperature if you don't have any dip (give them a good blast with a turkey baster!). Sometimes there can be unwanted guests which you can't see with the naked eye that could be irritating them.

I hope this helps a little, keep me updated on how things are going :)

Last edited:

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Nicolas,

My parameters do change a little from week to week but they are around the following: Cal:450 Mg:1380 Alk:8.3

Lighting: 3x Hydra 32HD over a 5 ft tank

People always say that zoanthids are an easy coral to look after but i have found them to be rather difficult. The more you have the harder it is. They are not a particularly demanding coral but do require care when positioning in the tank.

I have found that zoanthids in my tank have not opened well when phosphates levels were high. I have found the same thing happen when the Nitrates were too low! I think you need a stable low level of Nitrate and Phosphate in the water column to do well with them. You may want to test to see what levels you have for these.

If possible i would remove them from your tank and give your zoas a good clean in a coral dip or RO water to temperature if you don't have any dip (give them a good blast with a turkey baster!). Sometimes there can be unwanted guests which you can't see with the naked eye that could be irritating them.

I hope this helps a little, keep me updated on how things are going :)
This helps, thanks the zoas I have had been growing really well and fast, I had an issue where I bottomed my nitrates and phosphates, in turn losing my sps corals, so I started dosing both I think I slightly over shot nitrates I think it reached 50 so a little high. I'll see what happens as the levels come down. Thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back