My biocube 29

Tstanfill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been up about 4 months now. Still learning and trying to figure out the right flow and position.

1450326498651.jpg

1450326520118.jpg

1450326530450.jpg

1450326554411.jpg

1450326593286.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tstanfill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I have the coralife skimmer in the first chamber with the heater. Second chamber has 2 eshopp sponges with filter pad on top. Next to them is matrix in a bag along with purigen slid down the slot before the pump chamber. Still have the stock pump. I have the mj1200 to upgrade but the stock hose is too big for the output on the 1200. Haven't figured that out yet. I do have the intank media basket so I'm gonna take the sponges out and use it with the matrix on bottom and chemipure elite in the middle. Any help or tips you guys can give would be appreciated.

chessplayer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have the biocube 29, mine is practically empty, with two clownfish. I have the same skimmer as you and also a CPR NANO Media Reactor. I do not have upgraded my lights but I have an AI Hydra I could use it, the only thing I dont like is I dont like the idea of cutting the hood to fit the AI Hydra, and over in Mexico on summer if I dont have a hood water evaporates like crazy.

OP
OP
T

Tstanfill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that I did an led upgrade for it. With the bluefish controller.

Brian wea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aquamaxx hob1 skimmer and kissel 360 13 days old.. I was thinking about a media reactor but don't know the benefits

day1.jpg

chessplayer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
many would say start with good water changes. Eventually you will end up buying though. Make sure it works with GFO, biopellets and carbon . I think for a small aquarium is a plus.. I dont know what the expert aquarist might recomend. But i purchased mine for 29.99 on ebay

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What skimmer is it. The little air stone one? IME. Dump it. HOB or tunze. Just not strong enough to pull larger particles(wet skim) and doesnt produce small enough small bubbles for fine(dry skim).
IMO IME keep the chambers a clear as possible, they just become detritus dumps. Leaves room for a small bag of gfo and or carbon to hang so it gets flow.
The first sponge is a good idea, works like sock in bigger tank(first particulate filter) and should be easy to change. And as much of a fuge/chato nut that I am, in the chambers the just collect gunk.
The chambers buy their nature are gravity filters(heavy things fall down and settle, also why you have algae in the front). Only thing to keep an eye out for on them.

As far as the flow goes look at the corals. If they are happy. dont mess with it. Before you change the flow, see if moving the coral will work first.
If it is too laminar(l to r) like my 28g cube put a small head opposite the main flow. Creates turbulence.

OP
OP
T

Tstanfill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about coral placement? I like the look of the rocks being covered in corals. Which of mine would work higher up in the tank?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most all of them probably, depending on the flow. most of those will probably take more light. Keep the xena on a small separate frag rock. itll spread.
Im guessing flow is whats bugging your mushroom. they usually like a slower more laminar flow.
zoas a faster slightly more turbulant flow. IME zoa will close more often due to flow than light. Clearly your palys are happy, I bet the zoas would be fine there too.
I'll feed cyclops or rotifers to the zoas with the pumps off usually, if you do that with the pump on you be able to "see" the flow. Look at what is making the paly happy and find a similar spot for the zoa.

Looks good though.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back