my boiled tap water has no chlorine so…??

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Britta filter and i poured a bunch into a kettle and boiled it. Then I tested it for chlorine and there's zero chlorine in it. The non boiled Britta water does test positive chlorine . So what's the deal? Why can't we use boiled Britta tap-water for our reef tanks?

WalkerLovesTheOcean

"Just keeps swimming!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one says you can't. In my opinion RO/DI filters are more reliable. There still could be other things in the water that you are unaware of. Test for TDS.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Britta filter and i poured a bunch into a kettle and boiled it. Then I tested it for chlorine and there's zero chlorine in it. The non boiled Britta water does test positive chlorine . So what's the deal? Why can't we use boiled Britta tap-water for our reef tanks?
Because there are other things boiling and Brita don't get rid off

carri10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No chlorine is good, but do you know how much Calcium, lead, or any other chemicals they are in it? RO water allows you to start with simple water, and nothing else. You then add the salt and you know you have good water for the animals.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to boil it. The Brita filter will also remove the chlorine. Depending on whats in your tap water, you could use the brita. But you will have to change a lot of filters to do a water change.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to boil it. The Brita filter will also remove the chlorine. Depending on whats in your tap water, you could use the brita. But you will have to change a lot of filters to do a water change.
no, the Brita did not remove the chlorine unless boiled. I tested that. I thought it was chlorine was the main reason why we can't use tapwater. What would be the second and third chemicals we would want to test for in our tapwater to see if boiling would be OK? The whole ro-di water " is preferred". " is reliable," is not really scientific. and it's OK if you wanna say hey dude do whatever you want. Don't listen to us, but I'm trying to approach this scientifically here without sentiment. Because yeah sure ro di water is preferred but there's gotta be a reason, specific chemicals. Is it fluoride ? what else? because you know what, maybe in some circumstances for some municipalities boiled water would be OK. Maybe not. But there's gotta be a way to measure, rather than being sentimental and loyal to one culty method.

Skiskate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to test TDS to determine the usability of that water in a reef tank. I’m guessing you’ll get much higher than the desired TDS of zero.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The chlorine is put into the atmosphere in boiling water. The reason not to use boiled water would be for a couple reasons.

1. It seems to be a waste of energy, when one can buy a simple dechlorinator rather than boiling water..
2 It seems to be a waste of time for little or no benefit? - tank water does not need to be sterile (replacement water)
3. There is a small chance of metal toxicity or another chemical if it's a non-stick pan.
4. Using topwater, depending on the type of pipes in your house - can result in copper levels (though small)
5. It solves the issue when for no reason your water utility changes what they are doing - adding more chlorine or adding chloramine temporarily, etc.
6. using topwater successfully (and it can be) should only be considered in areas with insignificant metals

A simple Britta filter would be better than 'nothing' - but not as good as RODI - but again the largest percent of why or why not is #6 - the actual make up of the water coming out of your tap

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, the Brita did not remove the chlorine unless boiled. I tested that. I thought it was chlorine was the main reason why we can't use tapwater. What would be the second and third chemicals we would want to test for in our tapwater to see if boiling would be OK? The whole ro-di water " is preferred". " is reliable," is not really scientific. and it's OK if you wanna say hey dude do whatever you want. Don't listen to us, but I'm trying to approach this scientifically here without sentiment. Because yeah sure ro di water is preferred but there's gotta be a reason, specific chemicals. Is it fluoride ? what else? because you know what, maybe in some circumstances for some municipalities boiled water would be OK. Maybe not. But there's gotta be a way to measure, rather than being sentimental and loyal to one culty method.
Copper is one of the main ones since it can kill inverts (including corals), but really there are a bunch of things that could be in tap water which could poison a tank.
Looking at San Diego's most recent water quality report, it doesn't look like their water is too bad, but as two examples from their report of why you might not want to use tap water:

1 ) 90% of houses tested had under 0.4 ppm of copper (so 10% had more than that); the lowest they would report is 0.05 ppm or higher.

For context of how much harm 0.05-0.4 ppm of copper can do to inverts, 0.02 ppm can kill some inverts (reportedly including corals) - in fact, 0.002 ppm (A.K.A. 2 ppb) is enough to kill certain inverts.

For reference, 1 ppm = 1 mg/l:
Here's some actual data for what I consider to possibly be the most serious problem with tap water: copper.

New York City Water report for 2022.

Section titled" Lead and Copper Rule Residential Tap Sampling"

356 residential taps were tested.

10% of them had more than 0.194 ppm copper (194 ug/L)
the highest had 3.2 ppm copper

Thus, IMO, for copper alone, the tap water in NYC is unsuitable for at least 10% of the folks living there.

While I do not really have a good understanding of exactly how much copper is OK, Fauna Marin says that ten fold lower values (0.02 mg/L= 20 ug/L) can kill some corals.

Yeah, I haven't looked into corals and copper toxicity much, but I have looked into inverts and copper toxicity a bit and 0.02 mg/L seems about right (for the first quote below, the water quality report was for Oceanside, California, and the numbers used were mg/L):
The "Report of Detected Compounds" at the bottom:
- Looking at the copper specifically, they mention the 90th percentile for 50 homes sampled was 0.245 (this means that 90% of the 50 homes tested had copper levels of 0.245 or lower);
- The testing they use for copper is only sensitive to 0.05.
- LC50 for Copper when tested on different inverts* (a mussel species, an oyster species, a copepod species, and two urchin species - one of the urchins was the sand dollar you have; a different test** used a limpet, a crab, and a mussel) ranged from ~0.002 to 0.2 (LC50 being a toxicology term for the dose needed before half of a given population dies from the toxin); the LC50 varies from one species to the other, and it varies dependent on a number of different factors (such as the bioavailability of the form of copper in the water).

Personally, just looking at the odds of getting a damaging to lethal level of copper in your water, I wouldn't use your water without DI.

*Test Report 1
**Test Report 2
It depends on the rainwater, but - given how sensitive inverts are to copper - I wouldn't assume so. To quote the top link below, "copper was above the ADWG (2.0 ppm) in eight samples out of 365 samples," (ADWG meaning Australian Drinking Water Guidelines) - 2.0 ppm may not seem like much, but it is substantially higher than the ~0.002 to 0.2 ppm LC50 of Copper.
2 ) Total ammonia (Ammonia as Nitrogen) ranged from 0.25 to 0.98 ppm, averaging ~0.62 ppm between the three treatment facilities. So right out of the tap, you would meaningful amounts of ammonia in your water.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want to test it out for us, that will be great.

rodi water is proven to provide good long term results (I'm talking about decades), so I go with the tried and proven method.
I agree - but just saying - the OP may be interested - there was a long thread about using tap water for topping off. I can't find it currently.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depending on the levels - it may or may not (my gut feeling is that it's not good enough). "The Brita Standard and Elite filters are both certified for the reduction of aesthetic chlorine under NSF/ANSI 42, meaning that they should remove chlorine to levels low enough so they do not cause taste and odor problems in your drinking water. Brita filters are not certified to reduce chloramines."

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - but just saying - the OP may be interested - there was a long thread about using tap water for topping off. I can't find it currently

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need to test TDS to determine the usability of that water in a reef tank. I’m guessing you’ll get much higher than the desired TDS of zero.
You need to test TDS - thats correct - however, more importantly is/are various toxin levels/metals/etc. For example a TDS of 3 if the "dissolved solid" is sodium/chloride is not an issue. If it's cupric chloride, over time - that COULD be a problem. etc - obviously - the higher the TDS the more risk for an unwanted issue

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But there's gotta be a way to measure, rather than being sentimental and loyal to one culty method.
That's it, I'm starting the cult, lol :face-with-tears-of-joy:

RODI is as "culty" as using laundry detergent to wash your clothes. Sure, you could use vinegar instead, but why shame the majority that uses the better product?

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the levels - it may or may not (my gut feeling is that it's not good enough). "The Brita Standard and Elite filters are both certified for the reduction of aesthetic chlorine under NSF/ANSI 42, meaning that they should remove chlorine to levels low enough so they do not cause taste and odor problems in your drinking water. Brita filters are not certified to reduce chloramines."
well, as usual, if it were practical everybody would be doing that. So that answers that.

I have another problem. My blue damsels I thought were sweet fish, but they're terrors. and I got a brand new fire shrimp, and they tore it to shreds in a day. I met somebody at LFS He was telling He has 40 in this 100 tank and I thought I can have 4 in my 40. Now I'm doomed.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I noticed no one mentioned that a good RO/DI system would remove but I am not sure brita would do anything about is the presence of silicates in your tap water and the resulting issues that will cause.

saltytanked

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I noticed no one mentioned that a good RO/DI system would remove but I am not sure brita would do anything about is the presence of silicates in your tap water and the resulting issues that will cause.
Silicates are actually good and a lot of old timers dose silicates to keep Dino’s at bay to run low nutrient systems.

Back