My breeding suprise which turns into a build

gmneil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELL AS I WAS JUST GETTING ALL SET UP TO PAIR UP A BUNCH OF CARDINALS TO GET THEM BREED (WHICH HASN'T PRODUCED ANY BABIES YET LOL) I NOTICED MY CLOWNS DECIDED TO LAY EGGS.

WHICH BRINGS ME TO THIS THREAD.

I NEVER PLANNED TO BREED CLOWNS BUT I COULDN'T HELP BUT TRY AS SOON AS I GOT A BATCH OF EGGS..
HISTORY..
ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO I PURCHASED A PAIR OF TRUE PERCS FROM MY LFS. THEY HAD A BIG SHIPMENT (FROM ORA I BELIEVE) OF THEM IN AND HAD A DEAL LIKE $14.99 EACH SO I PICKED 2 THAT I LIKED THE MOST AND OUT THE BUCH I PICKED THE 2 THAT LOOKED A LITTLE DIFFERENT HAVING AN ARROW LIKE STRIPE.
(THIS IS THE ONLY PIC I HAD IN THE PHONE SO EXCUSE THE DIRTY GLASS LOL)
404601400.jpg

WELL AFTER ABOUT 2 YEARS THEY DECIDED TO LAY EGGS AND LONG STORY SHOT I DECIDED TO TRY THE 2ND BATCH. OUT OF THIS BATCH I GOT 35 CLOWNS TO SURVIVE AND THEY ARE NOW ABOUT A MONTH OLD.. BUT I HAD A NICE SUPPRISE WITH SOME OF THESE BABIES.. IM GETTING A MIXTURE OF WHAT I BELIEVE TO BE SNOFLAKE REGULAR, SO FAR MISSNIG BAR AND ALSO PLATINUM BABIES.

AS OF NOW I HAVE OUT OF ONLY 2 BATCHES WHICH I LOST 99% OF THE 3RD BATCH TRYING TO AIRATE THE TILE WITH EGGS. 11 PLATINUMS AND ABOUT 40 OTHERS.
HERE ARE SOME OF THE PICS
404601401.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
gmneil

gmneil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason it wont upload the pics of the parents, maybe the file is to large. I need to take some more pics, i cant get a good shot of the group of platinums they like to hang out in the far end of their 10g tank lol

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Baby clowns are so cute!! Good luck with raising them!!!

seamonkey84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the parents look like semi-Picasso Percs. Lucked out with the good gene for sure on some cheap parents. Great job with the babies! I hope to be breeding my designer ocellaris when they mature.

Last edited:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
parents look like ORA Picasso's so they should produce Picasso's and Platinums. pretty cool! the beauty of raising Picasso clowns is they are all unique in their own way. good luck raising the babies and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with patternwise. :)

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tried to fix bottom link but seems like it's the same pic as your 2nd post pic. I tried. ;)

OP
OP
gmneil

gmneil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, things are going good no losses in a while.. I have 11 platinums and a bunch of picassos they are growing fast.. I will try and update pics soon.

OP
OP
gmneil

gmneil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are going well i have a couple batches currently growing up. I have let the last couple batches of eggs go as i have been real busy, but the next batch i will try and raise every one from then on. I just actually sold the platinums from my first batch, now i can update some of my equipment to be able to go further. Pics to come soon..

coraltastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R they laying in a pot? mine just started laying in a pot and was wanting some info.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back