OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So may be getting another 125g and stand next week. Found a used one for $300. Also has dual overflows. But only way to get it to fit is to move my 90g planted freshwater tank. But I have no were else to put it besides the unfinished basement but is cold and not level at all down there.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a sad update. Lost my scooter blenny last night. Noticed a few days ago that he want moving much. Made sure to check on him throughout the day. This morning he was laying on the sand belly up. Not sure what caused it. Did a 20g water change last Friday. Water quality is good. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are 0, phosphate is around .03ppm. Need to get a better tester. Ph 8.2. Alk was kinda high at 18dkh. Everyone else seems to be doing fine.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month after I put the tennis ball size ball of chaeto in my fuge it has definitely grown. Almost time to take some to my lfs. They've been looking for some.

Also started a culture of phytoplankton. Need to get a better light for it as the small led clip on light is not nearly enough.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the lfs yesterday and picked up some cuc. Cleaner shrimp, 3 large turbo snails and 3 blue leg hermit crabs.

And found what looks like a small star fish on my rocks. Not sure where it came from

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp and snails have been putting in some work on the algea. About to order a few more corals. Clowns still haven't shown any interest in the lta.

As for cleaning up the crap on the sand. Whats the best way to get it out without losing too much sand? Tried using a normal siphon tube but it just pulled up the sand and left most of the other stuff.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't posted in awhile. Tank has been doing well. Besides a gha outbreak. But the 75g will be getting broken down next week or 2.
Picking up this 150g acrylic aquarium this weekend. Its 84x20x20"

Has a built in overflow on one of the sides. Not sure of the size of the bulkheads yet.

Have about 60lbs of rock still sitting in a box that I can add. Plan on using about half of the old sand and placing a few more bags of arag-alive live sand. Whats bigger than the bahamas oolite? Its too light and blows all over the tank right now.

And should I use the 55g for the sump or should I redo it with the spare 75g thats in my garage?

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. Tank is doing well. Picked up a few more hermit crabs and 2 emerald crabs. Been having some gha popping up on the rocks and sand. Also converted one of the 55g barrels to a saltwater mixing tank last night to help with the water changes. And switched from instant ocean to the red sea salt.
Also, my hollywood stunner chalice has gone missing. Not sure what happened to it. It was on the rock one night and gone the next morning. Looked all around the rocks and moved the sand around and nothing. Not sure where it went.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I crazy for thinking of switching my 75g saltwater aquarium and my 125g freshwater? As in making the 125 the saltwater like my orginal plan was for it. My 7" oscar is a big bully. This week alone he has killed a 3" red oscar and a firemouth cichlid. So he needs a tank of his own. And my youngest really wants a "dory" fish. I know it'll be a big project but I'll have alittle over a week off work at the end of the month for the holidays.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well about to pull the trigger on swapping the tanks. Ordering 40 more lbs of sand. Have the spare rock socking in a bleach solution since its been sitting in a tote in my garage. Down to 1 Jebao rw8 wave maker. The other one just stopped working. Turned them off one day to feed the fish. Went to turn it back on and nothing. So looking for a replacement for that. For cleaning the 75, what would be best to get the coraline and other algea off the glass? And have pineapple sponge throughout the sump that needs a good cleaning as well

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up the 40lb of bahamas oolite sand, 10lb of aragonite and a new 20gal tall aquarium to hold the fish while I clean the tanks and to make a qt tank. Looking at getting 3 of the wills 165W led lights and build a canopy and mount them in it. Their similar to the mars aqua. A reviewer did a par test and had over 500par 6" deep and 200 at 16" deep using 2 lights on a 75g. Need to bring my spare 75g up from the basement to clean it and set it up for the oscar until I can transfer him to the other one.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I fill the 75 and 55 sump full with water and about 13gal of white vinegar and let it run for a day or 2 will that help take all of the coraline algea off the glass and the sponges in the sump?

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally picked up a red sea foundation pro test kit. Test calcium, magnesium and kh. Just tested everything.
salinity is 1.023,
ammonia and nitrites 0
nitrate around 2ppm
ph is 7.9
Kh is 7
Calcium 350
Magnesium is 1300.
Used red sea coral pro last 2 water changes. Next wc is set for tomorrow.
The new canopy build has been slow. Its been extremely cold the last few weeks. Think I might have to clear out a spot in the basement and build it there. I did put 2 of the Wills led black boxes over the 75 and the corals seem to love the new lights.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my 125 oscar tank had a seam failure

Figured it was a perfect time to clean it while I resealed it. Let the silicone cure for 4 days and while it was doing that I built a canopy for it.

And after 2 weeks I finally have the 125 converted to a reef

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things left to do: get around to finishing the stand. Need to make a platform for the skimmer. New wavemakers as the jabeo rw8 just died on me. Guessing it was from going from 40% for the last few months to 100%. And tidying up around the sump. Mostly rerun the wires so their not in the way and mount the controllers

Back