My Build Thread

Which Is Worse.. Cleaning Skimmer Cup... OR Cleaning The Litter Box.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ya'll,

Well here is my best effort at give you a look into CasaReef. My wife and I are pretty new to the hobby and are still making some big mistakes. Lucky for us we found some great people at AZ F.R.A.G group to bounce things off of and I have relied very heavily on Bulk Reef Supply ( BRS ). I would like to ask that you be kind in your comments. I am willing to learn and if you see something I screwed up just tell me and I will fix it. Also first time I have used a Forum.... So judge me kindly on that as well.

System Red Sea Reefer XL 525
Skimmer Is Also Red Sea
Carbon Reactor ( BRS )
Simplicity DC Return Pump
Gravity Fed ATO-PIA.... ( Pain In butt ) Researching solution for PIA
Lighting is Radion XR15 Pros with ReefLink
2 MP 40s for powerheads
Pentair 40watt HD UV Sterilizer.

build11.jpg
build10.jpg

build12.jpg

I didn't have enough room for the UV on the outside of the tank so I mounted it inside the cabinet and the cut the shelves to fit around the tube. Drilled a hole in the top for bulb installation and replacement.

build33.jpg
build77.jpg
uv hole.jpg

I have decided that the water you use is the foundation of your system. So with that in mind I have made my own water Factory. 7Stage ( BRS ) RODI system with Water Saver Upgrade ( 150 Gals a Day ) IceCap DC GYRE 1 K powerhead in salt tank for mixing and a 300 watt heater. I have 65 gals of RODI water and 65 gallons of Salt Water ready to go at all times.

build44.jpg

Now this to me is very humbling..... Sometimes I don't listen so well. So after watching Ryan at BRS and attending a ( My First F.R.A.G ) Meeting where the topic was QUARANTINING and How to treat sick fish, I left there and said well darn we already have a few fish and a few corals and everything LOOKS GREAT!!! These guys don't know what they are talking about.... I GOT THIS.... Well not even a week later my tank was Smacked Down with ICH really bad.... So I went and got 2 20 gal tanks set up a QT Station. Took all my fish out of the dispaly and put them in QT. Took all the rock out of my tank and cleaned them and started over. In this process I lost fish and corals totaling..... I am not going to tell you how much cause my wife is going to read this at some point.. We are 3 weeks into this process the fish are looking GREAT and the tank looks pretty good also. AND I SWEAR TO GOD HIMSELF I WILL NEVER PUT ANOTHER LIVING THING IN MY DISPALY WITHOUT QT'ING IT FIRST. Sorry Hunter.... Yes I am The Dumb One in the group. ;-)

build55.jpg
build15.jpg

I hope to learn something new everyday. I hope I can be a great reefer like some of you. I hope to contribute something good to this Forum and If I can stop just ONE PERSON from not QT'ing their stuff before they put it in their display then I will be very Happy.

Thank You for looking and Happy Reefing.

Scott

The other thing I need to disclose... Is that I have a Big Red Fish at CasaReef and it watch's over all things CasaReef.
build13.jpg
build14.jpg
motor pic.jpg
jessica.jpg

What Kinda Fish Is That.. Jessica a 67 Barracuda
498 ci Stroked 440
635 HP " Dyno'ed "
FiTech Fuel Injection
727 Auto
411 Gear Set
Has Been Seen Lurking in The Waters Near Surprise Az. build66.jpg build88.jpg build99.jpg

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You... Can you tell me where to go to learn how to put a link in my profile like you do ?
Click on your name on the top right and click signature, then copy and paste your build thread address and paste it there.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, you can get a build thread badge and now it’s linked to it also.

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ya'll,

Well here is my best effort at give you a look into CasaReef. My wife and I are pretty new to the hobby and are still making some big mistakes. Lucky for us we found some great people at AZ F.R.A.G group to bounce things off of and I have relied very heavily on Bulk Reef Supply ( BRS ). I would like to ask that you be kind in your comments. I am willing to learn and if you see something I screwed up just tell me and I will fix it. Also first time I have used a Forum.... Soooo judge me kindly on that as well.

System Red Sea Reefer XL 525
Skimmer Is Also Red Sea
Lighting is Radion XR15 Pros with ReefLink
2 MP 40s for powerheads
Pentair 40watt HD UV Sterilizer.

build11.jpg
build10.jpg

build12.jpg

I didn't have enough room for the UV on the outside of the tank so I mounted it inside the cabinet and the cut the shelves to fit around the tube.

build33.jpg
build77.jpg

I have decided that the water you use is the foundation of your system. So with that in mind I have made my own water Factory. I have 65 gals of RODI water and 65 gallons of Salt Water ready to go at all times.

build44.jpg

Now this to me is very humbling..... Sometimes I don't listen so well. So after watching Ryan at BRS and attending a ( My First F.R.A.G ) Meeting where the topic was QUARANTINING and How to treat sick fish, I left there and said well **** we already have a few fish and a few coarls and everything LOOKS GREAT!!! These guys don't know what they are talking about.... I GOT THIS.... Well not even a week later my tank was Smacked Down with ICH.... So I went and got 2 20 gal tanks set up a QT Station. AND I SWEAR TO GOD HIMSELF I WILL NEVER PUT ANOTHER LIVING THING IN MY DISPALY WITHOUT QT'ING IT FIRST. Sorry Hunter.... Yes I am The Dumb *** in the group. ;-)

build55.jpg
build15.jpg

I hope to learn something new everyday. I hope I can be a great reefer like some of you. I hope to contribute something good to this Forum and If I can stop just ONE PERSON from not QT'ing their stuff before they put it in their display then I will be very Happy.

Thank You for looking and Happy Reefing.

Scott

The other thing I need to disclose... Is that I have a Big Red Fish at CasaReef and it watch's over all things CasaReef.
build13.jpg
build14.jpg

What Kinda Fish Is That.... A 1967 Ohhh Barracuda... Mopar or No Car build66.jpg build88.jpg build99.jpg
Where did you get those big water storage containers? I like the look of them!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All in all, things look okay to me. Care to share a bit more about the setup/equipment? I think I see a gravity ATO, a carbon and/or GFO reactor, and curious about the return pump.

Just a couple things I notice looking at the setup - the UV will be a pain to service, but it is hidden nicely. :) On your RODI station, consider replacing your filters from Spectrapure (local in Tempe) when the time comes - you'll find they last longer.

And nice garage. :D There's a few other go-fast guys around.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott,

Love to have other reefers in the west valley, Looks like you have a great start on what can potentially be an awesome reef tank.

I like FRAG as well, Hunter and Jason do a great job!!!

I will be tagging along and if you need anything, I'm not too far away, pretty much where the 10 and 303 meet (my inlaws are up there by cotton and greenway). Click on my "build thread contributor" badge to see my build....

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back