OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no problem with Centropyge at near 1 inch (Cherub, Flame, Flamecack, Coral Beauty). I have not keep other small Centropyge.
Only keep one Midnight Angel. That was a coral terror.
I find that they need a well establish tank with lots to pick from on the rock and sand. Frozen food initially and soon they will eat everything.
I don’t do treatment QT, only observational QT and treat if needed. I definitely don’t QT in a sterile condition, only in natural well established QT system.

BTW, this is what works for me. We just need to find what works for us. My tank will be fine with Ich introduce to it. This may or may not the same with everybody else’s tank.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no problem with Centropyge at near 1 inch (Cherub, Flame, Flamecack, Coral Beauty). I have not keep other small Centropyge.
I find that they need a well establish tank with lots to pick from on the rock and sand. Frozen food initially and soon they will eat everything.
I don’t do treatment QT, only observational QT and treat if needed. I definitely don’t QT in a sterile condition, only in natural well established QT system.

BTW, this is what works for me. We just need to find what works for us. My tank will be fine with Ich introduce to it. This may or may not the same with everybody else’s tank.
@OrionN sounds like you have measures to deal with Ich if it shows up in your tank? How do you deal with this? And with all this UV craze going on do you think they are worth their while? I bought one and found it will be a major headache to plumb into my system.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe I often introduce itch which never takes hold

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN sounds like you have measures to deal with Ich if it shows up in your tank? How do you deal with this? And with all this UV craze going on do you think they are worth their while? I bought one and found it will be a major headache to plumb into my system.
Ich just fizzle out in my tank, never take hold.
y tank is diverse, full of fauna in the rock and in the sand. IMO, the cycle of the parasite off the fish seem to be vulnerable to predation. The fauna in the tank seem to have predators eliminated this stage of Ich. Also immune of the fish likely play a roll in prevent the outbreak of Ich in my tank. All of these are just conjectures on my part. All I know is that I can add a fish full of Ich to my tank and it just frizzle out after a few weeks. Only rarely does my fishes in the tank would catch a spot or two from this event.
I dont dose my tank with any medication or use UV. I don't even use filter sock in my tank.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
y tank is diverse, full of fauna in the rock and in the sand. IMO, the cycle of the parasite off the fish seem to be vulnerable to predation. The fauna in the tank seem to have predators eliminated this stage of Ich. Also immune of the fish likely play a roll in prevent the outbreak of Ich in my tank. All of these are just conjectures on my part. All I know is that I can add a fish full of Ich to my tank and it just frizzle out after a few weeks. Only rarely does my fishes in the tank would catch a spot or two from this event.
I dont dose my tank with any medication or use UV. I don't even use filter sock in my tank.
Very similar here and with Paul B if you have read his thread. I do have an Oxydator but
Sounds very similar to me and my tank along with Paul B if you follow him. I have had Royal Royal grammas which often break out in spots and scratch on the rocks etc but within 36 hours they are gone and no other fish show any sign of them. I don't use prefiltration of any kind unless you want to call a skimmer a kind of prefiltration. I make some of my own foods and use an Oxydator which I believe is an aid to keeping parasites and diseases at bay. I never medicate, I never have a need to.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ane a few message asked about how this harem is doing. I got a aquarium maintained with water change by a service company. Last month water change result in the death of my sea urchins and one of my angels. I am not 100% sure but I thin the 20 gal tat was used was too low in temperature. It was a very cold day.
anyway, we are about to move. I don’t plan to reset up this aquarium in my new office. It is nice to have an aquarium at work but I cannot contro the condition as well as I like, and it cost too much.
I will incorporate the fishes and anemone into my home system. Likely set up another tank and run it into my main sump.
the two angels are doing great and spawn regularly. I only have my cell phone at work so the pictures are not as good as my normal pictures.
64109614-1708-41F7-A3EE-83BBED34ABFB.jpeg
7A308570-C343-473B-A348-0A942B21BEA3.jpeg
5A451E98-A112-42A7-AA55-1338386ACFB9.jpeg
7E5D96B8-B76F-4A12-B342-061A04D99EAE.jpeg

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ane a few message asked about how this harem is doing. I got a aquarium maintained with water change by a service company. Last month water change result in the death of my sea urchins and one of my angels. I am not 100% sure but I thin the 20 gal tat was used was too low in temperature. It was a very cold day.
anyway, we are about to move. I don’t plan to reset up this aquarium in my new office. It is nice to have an aquarium at work but I cannot contro the condition as well as I like, and it cost too much.
I will incorporate the fishes and anemone into my home system. Likely set up another tank and run it into my main sump.
the two angels are doing great and spawn regularly. I only have my cell phone at work so the pictures are not as good as my normal pictures.
64109614-1708-41F7-A3EE-83BBED34ABFB.jpeg
7A308570-C343-473B-A348-0A942B21BEA3.jpeg
5A451E98-A112-42A7-AA55-1338386ACFB9.jpeg
7E5D96B8-B76F-4A12-B342-061A04D99EAE.jpeg
Sorry to hear of your loss but glad the remaining 2 have not suffered and continue to spawn for you. My trio as still to immature yet to spawn but I expect they will when ready as other have done before them.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We, our group, got into financial difficulty with Covid. 2020 was OK due to the government subsidy, but it Covid bankrupted us 2021. Seeing the writing on the wall and working 60-80 hrs weekly and not bring home any money, we cannot live so we merge/sold ourselves to the hospital. Our new employer moved us to a different location, on campus of a local hospital (we were on campus of a competitor hospital).
With the move I took down my fish tank in 6/2021 and did not reset up the tank. The fish were donated to the the maintance company as payment for the work of taken down the tank. I moved my anemone and clowns to my home tank. That iw the end of my experiment with X. acanthrops. I still have this empty tank at my house. I would not be hesitant to set up this tank in the future to house a harem of Flameback Angels. I got used to the constant quarrel of the harem. They are very beautiful and very active fish. small tang until he outgrown the tank would be fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back