OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN about what size in inches should the pygmy and flameback species be but together before they start to change sex permanently? But not too small that they go down the grates in the overflow?
Sorry I did not see this until now. I don't have that much experiences with small Flameback. The smallest I keep was about 1 inch, both Flameback and Flame angels. I ordered 5 small Flame Angels from Live Aquaria many years ago. Three arrived DOA. It was a bad experiences at that time. They were on sale and I waited too long to ordered. I was able to get the two emaciated angels to live. After about 6-8 months I ended up with a pair that spawned in my tank.

I dont think you will be able to get too small angels, unless you get captive bred angels.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that once a female turns to male it can't revert back to female no matter what.
Reverse sex change have been clearly documented, well establish by observation by reefers but also well documented in scientific papers.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reverse sex change have been clearly documented, well establish by observation by reefers but also well documented in scientific papers.
That's very good to hear, so with any luck putting 2 fish together should result in a pair then even if they are introduced as 2 males.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OrionN, very cool angels, and love the nem!
I have been considering a trio of dwarf angels but am unsure which to go with. I have experience with multiple flames, but would like to try something new.
Where there any other trios you considered prior to the flameback?

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very good to hear, so with any luck putting 2 fish together should result in a pair then even if they are introduced as 2 males.
It is possible but MORTALITY is high. I would not attempt it since it is easy to sex Flameback angel. Don’t put together two male or a male that is smaller than female.
it article I read in a 55 gal tank with plenty of rock, mortality of the loose is around 75% if my memory does not play trick on me. Look it up

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible but MORTALITY is high. I would not attempt it since it is easy to sex Flameback angel. Don’t put together two male or a male that is smaller than female.
it article I read in a 55 gal tank with plenty of rock, mortality of the loose is around 75% if my memory does not play trick on me. Look it up
That's OK, I had no intention of putting 2 makes together. I now have a male and w females, I am pretty sure.
On another note and given how I have sexed pygmy Angel's in the past via body shape, I have never failed to sex them this way in about 10 attempts with both agri and Acanthrops When visiting an LFS with say 4 or 5 pygmy Angel's there has always been more makes than females usually 3 or 4 males to a single female.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to look for a good sized male then cause my female one is a pretty decent size

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Pygmy angel pairs go very well with damsel pairs. Basically the same size as many smaller damsels but different body shapes. That’s something I’m going to do for my setup.
I mainly keep small fish along with my flameback I 5 sapphire damsels which are very peaceful.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to look for a good sized male then cause my female one is a pretty decent size
In this case I put in a smaller female, rather than a large male. Small female is much easier to find, and cheaper than large male.
Also, I prefer to find smallest fish of the species to put in my tank rather than "show size" specimen.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree completely. Big show size fish often don’t adapt as well either.
I don’t really like the bigger fish
In this case I put in a smaller female, rather than a large male. Small female is much easier to find, and cheaper than large male.
Also, I prefer to find smallest fish of the species to put in my tank rather than "show size" specimen.
same but I see that the really small ones which aren’t captive bred have a hard time surviving for some reason. I like the small ones just not tiny tiny

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back