OP
OP
Leaellynasaura

Leaellynasaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is a run clear to the basement and back up with the sump being under and the tank being behind my bed in the next room. It is too noisy to let run when I sleep. If I ever convert to drilled from hang on back overflow box I might be able to quiet it down.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Seems dangerous to stability to stop filtering for a third of the day, but I am not doubting it can work. I ran two small fish only tanks for a while years ago with no filters at all, just flow and water changes. Obviously it can be done if you pay attention to it.

OP
OP
Leaellynasaura

Leaellynasaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The basement just has the filter sock, protein skimmer and deep sand bed. So whatever fish poop builds up over night has to be caught up in the morning. The protein skimmer drips fast for the first couple hours. The deep sand bed has its own circulation pump and heater and the sump has a heater. One benefit of this method is that I can feed the coral phytoplankton at the start of the nightly shutoff and it will circulate in the display tank all night allowing the coral to eat for 8 hours.

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Look like they clean up before lay the eggs. Don't know why you don't like to hear the sound, I love to hear the water sound during my sleep.... more relaxed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back