My Copperband Butterflyfish is a bully?!

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jealous. I’m on my 3rd CBB now. I just haven’t been able to get them to eat. My tank is much more established now with plenty of live goodies to eat. This one did eat at the LFS and held its own against two other CBB’s that were pushing it around.
I’m worried now because my Clown Tang is being a bully and keeping the CBB penned in a cave. Hoping they “work it out” soon.

Sorry to hear that, have you tried live blackworms or clams? If they wont eat either one of those they wont eat anything. Mine loves lrs fish frenzy too, probably because it has both in it, although it goes CRAZY for live blackworms and would only eat those at first. Whatever is naturally occurring in your tank is not enough to sustain them.

Unfortunately I doubt the clown tang will stop before the CBB perishes. It can be very difficult to add a CBB to a tank with established tangs and is not recommended. I hope it works out though!

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m jealous too. Let me know if it doesn’t work out for you. Would pay good money for a hardy CBB even if it is aggressive. Tired of sending them to a watery grave — gave up a while ago.
They have learned to coexist, the helfrichi just steers clear now. Sorry you didn't have any luck, many others can relate. How did they die?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have learned to coexist, the helfrichi just steers clear now. Sorry you didn't have any luck, many others can relate. How did they die?

Typically would be eating at the store, and stop eating after a few days with me. I’ve tried everything. Having them in their own tank without competition...Mastick, clams, live black worms, cbb feeder. I got one to live about 4 months, but he mysteriously stopped eating after taking to the clams.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT'd my CBB with a yellow watchman goby and I would see the goby bite at the CBB when he got too close to the goby's hide. But the CBB never even flinched and kept moving and there was no damage. Then I noticed that if the goby ventured out of his hide he would quickly be chased back in. Once in the DT my CBB would chase every other fish in the tank, all of them being much smaller peaceful fish. He never did any damage and it just seemed like posturing to figure out the pecking order. But It was funny that a CBB was the tank boss. Mine also picked at all my snails so they only came out at night after a while.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That's crazy ! Generally they are the ones bullied. Is it aggressive with feeding, towards others or both?
Im stumped as to what would make it aggressive.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jealous. I’m on my 3rd CBB now. I just haven’t been able to get them to eat. My tank is much more established now with plenty of live goodies to eat. This one did eat at the LFS and held its own against two other CBB’s that were pushing it around.
I’m worried now because my Clown Tang is being a bully and keeping the CBB penned in a cave. Hoping they “work it out” soon.

Good luck. That clown tang is likely to just keep getting worse. They are the devil

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. That clown tang is likely to just keep getting worse. They are the devil

I agree more than 200% ! @MPS - how big is the tank ? I would never ever put a clown in any tank less than 350-400 and even then you are not sure if it won't be a bully . I have seen a clown torment even huge emperor to death .
If there's 1 fish I hate to not put in a tank , it would be a clown tang man !

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically would be eating at the store, and stop eating after a few days with me. I’ve tried everything. Having them in their own tank without competition...Mastick, clams, live black worms, cbb feeder. I got one to live about 4 months, but he mysteriously stopped eating after taking to the clams.
Unfortunately this appears to be very common

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's crazy ! Generally they are the ones bullied. Is it aggressive with feeding, towards others or both?
Im stumped as to what would make it aggressive.

It is very friendly to all of the fish now and only had those few isolated incidents early where it didnt even want the helfrichi in the water column lol. Now the helfrichi just steers clear and the cbb doesnt go out of it's way to find it or anything. To be fair, even my leopard wrasses did that to the helfrichi at one point. I'm not sure why it got bullied so much.

The cbb is just a very energetic and powerful fish with a huge appetite, so it really goes after food. It will steal it out of my other fishes mouths if they get any right before him and are close enough. Sometimes if the other fish block its path it will swoop near them to get them to move but never anything else. I think it just has an extraordinary appetite which obviously is good. It's also in a 90g so maybe in a 6ft+ tank it would act differently.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree more than 200% ! @MPS - how big is the tank ? I would never ever put a clown in any tank less than 350-400 and even then you are not sure if it won't be a bully . I have seen a clown torment even huge emperor to death .

Regards,
Abhishek
I have heard this as well. It's a shame because they are so pretty imo.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is very friendly to all of the fish now and only had those few isolated incidents early where it didnt even want the helfrichi in the water column lol. Now the helfrichi just steers clear and the cbb doesnt go out of it's way to find it or anything. To be fair, even my leopard wrasses did that to the helfrichi at one point. I'm not sure why it got bullied so much.

The cbb is just a very energetic and powerful fish with a huge appetite, so it really goes after food. It will steal it out of my other fishes mouths if they get any right before him and are close enough. Sometimes if the other fish block its path it will swoop near them to get them to move but never anything else. I think it just has an extraordinary appetite which obviously is good. It's also in a 90g so maybe in a 6ft+ tank it would act differently.
That's good news. Sounds like a definite winner/keeper

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regards,
Abhishek
I am aware that my Clown Tang will need a larger tank at some point. This one is still a baby and has plenty of room. He has a home waiting for him in a 750gal when it’s time. If he continues this behavior that time may be sooner than later.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mine’s becoming a little jerk

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place a mirror against the glass, bigger is better. The cb will be preoccupied with itself. I do this when i add tangs to my established reef. Works every time.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back