OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey do u keep your JF alter ego high or low? I have mine pretty high but I've been reading people say it doesn't like a lot of light. I've also heard the same thing about JF beach bum but It seems to be happy up high with my acro's. Your pulling all the right colors on the alter ego so figured u would be the one to ask

So my alter ego looks like dog [emoji90] right now but on those pics it was being blasted. I sold a frag to a local buddy who pulled even better colors than me and had it around 500 par. Mine was around 400ish. I just don’t have any space to put my colony now and get it high light so it’s more green now.

In my experience, alter ego is one of the only Montis that likes high light. My ASD Rainbow Phoenix, asd master Phoenix, Kung Pow, and Beach bum all prefer very low light, maybe 250 par max

TaylorJames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve really enjoyed dosing it, however I do doze a small amount.

I’ve seen an increase in PE and overall coral healthy since starting back up.

If you are using the small Hanna egg for Po4, throw it out the window and get a new kit. The egg is garbage. The hand held in Hanna kit that allows you to calibrate is the way to go, but I think it’s 350-450 for the testing unit and the kit. Worth every penny in my opinion.

Dosing Po4 will cause a short term spike, however it seems to drop very fast that way, causing you to have to constantly dose to maintain..

Best thing to do is measure your feeding by using mysis cubes and find an amount that will hold Po4 around .04-.06
Just tested N03 2.5 and P04 0.0. Ive been feeding oyster feast every day as well as some pellets and mysis. Cant seem to get P04 to show but there has to be some level of it as algae grows on the glass pretty fast. I turned down my skimmer so maybe that will help. I also ordered some acropower so I will start dosing that at half the reccommended dose.

TaylorJames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also said you dose a small amount ( 2 tablespoons twice a week) thats ~60ml/week. How large is your system?

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested N03 2.5 and P04 0.0. Ive been feeding oyster feast every day as well as some pellets and mysis. Cant seem to get P04 to show but there has to be some level of it as algae grows on the glass pretty fast. I turned down my skimmer so maybe that will help. I also ordered some acropower so I will start dosing that at half the reccommended dose.

If you had a true 0 Po4 you would have Dinos. There is to be something giving you a false negative or using up your Po4

I accidentally let my Po4 bottom out and it took me forever to get it back up. What ended up happening is egg crate in my 60 had an algae bloom that would eat up all my Po4. At one point I was dosing liquid Po4, feeding reef roids daily, fuel daily, Fed heavy daily, still couldn’t get a positive number for more than 24 hours. I finally removed the egg crate and all the algae attached to it, and nutrients finally rose and stabilized. So maybe you have an algae source consuming your Po4.

In regards to acropower, I added it to a Doser maybe a month ago. I need to confirm but I think I’m dosing 12ml a day on 250 gallons.

TaylorJames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a true 0 Po4 you would have Dinos. There is to be something giving you a false negative or using up your Po4

I accidentally let my Po4 bottom out and it took me forever to get it back up. What ended up happening is egg crate in my 60 had an algae bloom that would eat up all my Po4. At one point I was dosing liquid Po4, feeding reef roids daily, fuel daily, Fed heavy daily, still couldn’t get a positive number for more than 24 hours. I finally removed the egg crate and all the algae attached to it, and nutrients finally rose and stabilized. So maybe you have an algae source consuming your Po4.

In regards to acropower, I added it to a Doser maybe a month ago. I need to confirm but I think I’m dosing 12ml a day on 250 gallons.

At 12ml a day that is almost double the recommended amount for 250g

There is some algae in my tank that could be consuming the P04. GHA is in rock crevices that are not covered by coralline, there is also some brown algae that grows on the glass and sand bed. I think it must be my skimmer, I have a skimmer that is way overkill for my tank. I have a 425xl ( ~100g system volume) and the skimmer is a Bubble Magus D9, rated for up to 400g. It has constantly been pulling out dark brown gunk.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best test kit I’ve used to date. Pricy tho

292D7B17-E5E6-491B-BA7B-52638D6BEF40.jpeg
D65E4566-76A0-4CF8-BE96-AA5261E8C52F.jpeg
Is this kit "more accurate" than the others. Our club has one, I don't think anyone has done test side by side with the other hanna checkers.

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this kit "more accurate" than the others. Our club has one, I don't think anyone has done test side by side with the other hanna checkers.

Light years more accurate. Plus this kit comes with two reagents used to calibrate it. So once a week I make sure it’s accurate per the calibration fluids which keeps it within .01 -.02

Since Po4 is usually kept in ranges by the hundredth (.01-.08) I wanted to be as accurate as possible

rob myers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ati fixture are you running over the 60 grow out is it 48 inch or 36 inch . Thank you

Kindred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how I lived without finding these posts so long... thanks for sharing!! ( and let me know when your ready to frag that bleeding avenger)

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the cb gold jaw dropper really gold?
Or just a yellow?
Do people oh and ah when they see it in person?
Also that king Fiji is awesome sauce

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the cb gold jaw dropper really gold?
Or just a yellow?
Do people oh and ah when they see it in person?
Also that king Fiji is awesome sauce
Golden JD is gold with a bright yellow tip when happy. I wouldn’t say people drool over it but it’s def a conversation starter. It’s extremely bright and has a cool uniqueness to it.

Fiji is a tank fav for sure :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back