OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BA914CE8-9DCD-4A88-BBBF-69F41D3D9829.jpeg
How's the LRO Buzz Lightyear growing for you? Any updated shots of the whole piece? I picked up a couple pieces from them at RAP and my friend got their South Beach & Heartthrob
It was slow going at first but it’s starting to take
Off. Hopefully it will branch soon. It’s the one at the bottom of this pic

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful collection you've got going!

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ryan, quick question for you. Seeing as you run the two lighting set ups I'm currently considering (g4's and t5's, and ati + led strips) I was wondering what your thoughts on the two are and if you prefer either over the other or if it's all good as gold??

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Ryan, quick question for you. Seeing as you run the two lighting set ups I'm currently considering (g4's and t5's, and ati + led strips) I was wondering what your thoughts on the two are and if you prefer either over the other or if it's all good as gold??

Hey Wrangy. So I have to be honest and I get way better coloration under my T5s. I’ve ran the two systems side by side for a year and a half now and I’m sold on T5s. That being said there are a select few corals that just don’t seem to like them so I’m going to have a radion or two at the end of my new build so they there will be a small area that’s Radion / led but 80% of the tank will be 8 bulb T5

Growth seems to be the same under radion and T5 alike.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Wrangy. So I have to be honest and I get way better coloration under my T5s. I’ve ran the two systems side by side for a year and a half now and I’m sold on T5s. That being said there are a select few corals that just don’t seem to like them so I’m going to have a radion or two at the end of my new build so they there will be a small area that’s Radion / led but 80% of the tank will be 8 bulb T5

Thanks for the honest feedback man, I appreciate it!

rob myers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime my friend. Let me know what you end up going with.

Ryan will the new ati have the reef brites on them also or will it be a stand alone unit. I love this thread!

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan will the new ati have the reef brites on them also or will it be a stand alone unit. I love this thread!

Will def have reefbrites as well. They add a little pop to the colors. Not to mention I enjoy the two hours at the end of the night when it’s just the reefbrites and 2 actinic bulbs on.

I considered using SBReef for the new build but after doing some research I decided to stick with the ReefBrites.

The plan for the new tank is 2x ATI 8 bulb fixtures, 2-4 ReefBrite XHO Strips (depending on how it all lays out) and 1-2 radion Gen4 XR30 pros at one end. It’s going to be peninsula style so the left side of the tank will be against the wall and right side will have the radions.

The QT tank and small frag tank will have radions over them to try and keep the heat down in the room.

Global boom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will def have reefbrites as well. They add a little pop to the colors. Not to mention I enjoy the two hours at the end of the night when it’s just the reefbrites and 2 actinic bulbs on.

I considered using SBReef for the new build but after doing some research I decided to stick with the ReefBrites.

The plan for the new tank is 2x ATI 8 bulb fixtures, 2-4 ReefBrite XHO Strips (depending on how it all lays out) and 1-2 radion Gen4 XR30 pros at one end. It’s going to be peninsula style so the left side of the tank will be against the wall and right side will have the radions.

The QT tank and small frag tank will have radions over them to try and keep the heat down in the room.
What is your t5 combo?

OP
OP
Russo757

Russo757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do mate :) The current choices are 3 XR30's in an aquatic life hybrid, 6 XR15's by themselves or an 8 bulb T5 with strips.
So if you go radion then I’d go pure and not combo. I think I had better colors under just my 4 XR30s than when I added 4 ati b+ to the mix.

I had to lower my radion output by a ton cuz when the T5s kicked in I was pushing close to 1050 par and I think you lose a lot of the benefit of the radions having them dialed down so low.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if you go radion then I’d go pure and not combo. I think I had better colors under just my 4 XR30s than when I added 4 ati b+ to the mix.

I had to lower my radion output by a ton cuz when the T5s kicked in I was pushing close to 1050 par and I think you lose a lot of the benefit of the radions having them dialed down so low.
Interesting, I'm not going to argue about the cheaper option, the aquatic life is $500-600 here in Australia. My tank is 40x24x18", would you opt for three XR30's or 6 XR15's? I'm currently leaning towards the 6 XR15's just to get the spread going a little bit better.

Mel_Amoranto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to give a shout out to Ryan for his well packaged coral and awesome service. My shipment was delayed and with him and I contacting FedEx, it only became a 2 hour delay. Coral came in super healthy and here's a pic after 6 hours in the tank.

Ryan's the man. Don't hesitate ordering from him.

Thanks,
Mel
0aa0522d86f4fdad70974855a85b83cd.jpg
f5cb53866c11e973f02a28bc3e4912e9.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back