My coral does look great

murphdeboss

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 23, 2025
Messages
36
Reaction score
16
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20250916_225731_73506350-E7E2-47B2-B899-0B010B1892D9.png

20250916_225746_981014D3-61BB-45F5-8AC1-7F367FB483A5.png
 
You should be testing more than that. Those are really only applicable when you are first cycling the tank (ammonia and nitrite)

1. Ditch the API test kits, they are notoriously inaccurate.

2. Test for things that the coral needs:

Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium
Salinity
Nitrate
Phosphate
 
I'm not sure that all of it was a waste.... the nitrate test could be useful. I've used API tests in the past. All of this stuff is hobby grade and some variance is to be expected.

However, it does seem that other tests such as Salifert or the Hanna checkers seem to have a better reputation than API these days.

The biggest thing is that after the tank is cycled you probably won't need to be testing for ammonia and nitrite anymore.

The parameters that bluemon listed are a good place to start
 
So that was a waste to buy
Just out of curiosity, if you just bought these, does that mean you haven’t ever tested the water before today?

Just wondering what the timeline of the setup is looking like. Did you go through a cycle?
 
I’ve had the tank for about 4 months now. The previous owner had it running 2 year prior and I picked it up while it was still running. I’ve taken it to fish stores to get the water tested before and they say it’s all good
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 5.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new