My crazy theory re protein skimmers

TheReeferer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 8, 2020
Messages
56
Reaction score
40
Location
NE USA
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to throw this out there to see other folks thoughts.
My most successful tank was in a system where I did not use a protein skimmer and instead relied heavily on algae transport. By success I mean crazy sps and coraline algae growth.

Since then ever system I’ve had had protein skimmers and to me it seems the balance was never right. Good algae doesn’t grow instead it’s bubble algae or hair algae. Every other month fighting some other thing. Coraline never appeared and in general tank doesn’t seem to thrive.

I think the protein skimming and what it’s pulling out of the water is throwing everything off. I don’t constantly test or monitor parameters.

Thoughts?
 
I took the cup off of one of my tanks to help regulate nitrate, as it also has an algae scrubber. I still run the skimmer to help keep ph up and aerate the water.
 
I took the cup off of one of my tanks to help regulate nitrate, as it also has an algae scrubber. I still run the skimmer to help keep ph up and aerate the water.
I do the same thing. Algae scrubber. And the skimmer runs but I keep the bubble level low, so it doesn’t actually produce any foam. Just using it as a means for extra aeration and to help ph. I do claim I don’t run a skimmer which is a partial truth. I run one, I just don’t use it to produce skimmate or as a method of nutrient export
 
There are pros and cons to everything we do including skimmers, but I recommend them for a variety of reasons. I expect a skimmer is not the only thing different about that first tank. Regardless, many, if not most, reef tanks have them and poor results do not seem to correlate with using one.
 
Last edited:
I think success is able to be accomplished in a myriad of ways. Currently don't have a protein skimmer, have run them in the past. Its all in what you're trying to accomplish.
I do water changes. If I didn't I would want a skimmer to remove some things. But my macroalgae filled refugium and water changes handle that for me.
 
There is zero correlation between a protein skimmer or lack thereof and the levels of success
 
I didn’t run a skimmer for the first 9 months and then got a tunze comline. The pH immediately went up by 0.1 units. Other than that I can’t say for sure what it’s doing or impact it’s making. I clean the skimmate twice a week, and it definitely smells…
 
Want to throw this out there to see other folks thoughts.
My most successful tank was in a system where I did not use a protein skimmer and instead relied heavily on algae transport. By success I mean crazy sps and coraline algae growth.

Since then ever system I’ve had had protein skimmers and to me it seems the balance was never right. Good algae doesn’t grow instead it’s bubble algae or hair algae. Every other month fighting some other thing. Coraline never appeared and in general tank doesn’t seem to thrive.

I think the protein skimming and what it’s pulling out of the water is throwing everything off. I don’t constantly test or monitor parameters.

Thoughts?
PS seems have exaggerated benefical effects although it may have disruptive effects for beneficial microfauna system .
Recent design innovations like bubble plates, conical sides, or pinwheel impellers do not seem to impact significantly on either rate of TOC removal or amount of TOC removed ...
Please read this
https://reefs.com/magazine/further-studies-on-protein-skimmer-performance/
 
I have 4 tanks running but only one with a skimmer, my 330g with large fish including 8 tangs. My SPS tank has a reefmat only and I shut it off sometimes and let it overflow.
The skimmer on the 330 over flowed not too long ago and my zoas opened up larger than they ever have and my rock flowers spawned. That makes me question how much good stuff is being removed along with the bad?
 
I have always ran skimmers.
4 systems currently. Only my 15g nano is without, no real room and not needed, imo.
On my 150 I run 2 9430 dc's. One with ozone and one in the return section.
Anyway the benefits outweigh any negative thing you can think of, imo.
 
Overskimming can definitely be a thing. But I just feed more. Can’t imagine not having a skimmer
Same here! I have definitelly heard of over skimming. My tank is covered in coralline algae and I run a skimmer 24/7 unless I need to turn it off for something I am adding like phytoplankton or Microbacter 7.
 
FWIW, I’d use a skimmer even if it did nothing but aerate the water. :)
 
Thanks for your thoughts! I’m starting new again on a 60 gal breeder and will go skimmer less for the 2nd time.
But this time also auto water change system. Let’s see what happens. My standards are low now, if I can see coraline algae it means… success!
 
Thanks for your thoughts! I’m starting new again on a 60 gal breeder and will go skimmer less for the 2nd time.
But this time also auto water change system. Let’s see what happens. My standards are low now, if I can see coraline algae it means… success!
I think you'll do well. This is a skimmer less tank that is in bad need of a glass scraping.

PXL_20250530_230230652.jpg
 
Want to throw this out there to see other folks thoughts.
My most successful tank was in a system where I did not use a protein skimmer and instead relied heavily on algae transport. By success I mean crazy sps and coraline algae growth.

Since then ever system I’ve had had protein skimmers and to me it seems the balance was never right. Good algae doesn’t grow instead it’s bubble algae or hair algae. Every other month fighting some other thing. Coraline never appeared and in general tank doesn’t seem to thrive.

I think the protein skimming and what it’s pulling out of the water is throwing everything off. I don’t constantly test or monitor parameters.

Thoughts?
PS seems have exaggerated benefical effects although it may have disruptive effects for beneficial microfauna system .
Recent design innovations like bubble plates, conical sides, or pinwheel impellers do not seem to impact significantly on either rate of TOC removal or amount of TOC removed ...
Please read this
https://reefs.com/magazine/further-studies-on-protein-skimmer-performance/
This quote is worth calling out:

> None of the skimmers tested removed more than 35% of the extant TOC, leading to the conclusion that bubbles are really not a very effective medium for organic nutrient removal.
 
Want to throw this out there to see other folks thoughts.
My most successful tank was in a system where I did not use a protein skimmer and instead relied heavily on algae transport. By success I mean crazy sps and coraline algae growth.

Since then ever system I’ve had had protein skimmers and to me it seems the balance was never right. Good algae doesn’t grow instead it’s bubble algae or hair algae. Every other month fighting some other thing. Coraline never appeared and in general tank doesn’t seem to thrive.

I think the protein skimming and what it’s pulling out of the water is throwing everything off. I don’t constantly test or monitor parameters.

Thoughts?
With at least 4 inches of sandbed , big clean up crew , macroalgae either in tank or sump , lots of live rock and a skimmer is unnecessary . For years I over filtered. Now with my simple approach ( you could call it dirty ) all my corals are thriving.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new