My DIY 4.5g Pico Vase Project

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little side project I started about 3 months ago to test out LEDs...some pics of my diy pico vase.

vase1.jpg

drilling1.jpg

Overflow/Return:
Overflow1.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_1094.jpg

DSC_1101.jpg

DSC_1080.jpg

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap...that is awesome man. My buddies and I always joke about using like a 3gal tank into a reef, but never have done it.

Loving how you painted the back and made that overflow. Did you plumb that into your normal system? haha

OP
OP
ReefMP

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It was a cool mini project that allowed me to think outside the box and I didn't have to worry too much about breaking things and running up the cost. I had some other ideas but got lazy 1/2 way through the build, maybe one of these days I'll add some improvements. The most expensive thing was the BoostLED bulb at $70, all other materials cost me under $50. LR and and frags came from my main tank. The anemone was a split off the one in my main tank too.

Yeah, it's plumbed into my main 55g sump which makes for easy maintenance, I just have to clean the glass once a week:

Sump3.jpg

The vase sits on my basement bar, here's a pic of both tanks...it's an old pic, I've changed the vase a bit since.
bar.jpg

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats just awesome man, what a great idea. Got me thinking about wanting to do one now, but not sure where I'd keep it, haha.

I wonder if you could do this and then just do like a gallon water change each week and be fine?

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen one of these pico tanks similar to yours in action and gotta say when stocked rght look real nice but one thing is certain u have to be very picky with corals 1 should only put gems in there goodluck with yours looks very nice more pics por favor :bigsmile:

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, the light on that thing is harsh.

Sweet build though, and +1 to the scared about drilling...especially on a round edge like that. Holy smokes...I thought I was a chicken not wanting to drill a 125g. Like Bt said....at least cost of replacement wouldnt be bad.

Im not sure if its just the picture, but the lighting on that tank is so intense it almost looks like a washed out B&W photo. Still kinda rad though.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I'm really thinking about trying something like this :) Probably can get the vase from a hobby shop for $10 or so, and wouldn't cost much to do it except for the light.

OP
OP
ReefMP

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats pretty slick on the overflow and return, real top notch job on the mini even the aquascaping is pretty cool
Thank you, yeah I wanted it to be very clean looking, no visible overflow/return, PH, heater, etc. I modified the pump off a Aqueon10 HOB filter that I'm using as a PH in there, it's hidden but I could still see the wire...if I had gone with my original plan even that would have been hidden but I got lazy :)

Thats just awesome man, what a great idea. Got me thinking about wanting to do one now, but not sure where I'd keep it, haha.

I wonder if you could do this and then just do like a gallon water change each week and be fine?

If you do a search on Pico Vase on youtube, you'll see some even smaller stand-alone ones from Brandon. He does regular almost 100% water changes....but that's too much work for me :)

Thats perfect vhot kind off LED is that you using there.

It's a PAR30 bulb from BoostLED

Lowes had some of those bulbs and they where around $65 plus tax, they had a few that where in the $80+ range as well,
I've seen the ones at Lowes, not sure it's the same spectrum LEDs

Wow your display tank looks awesome! Do you have a thread on it on R2R?
Thanks, I don't have a build thread here but I have a thread with a few pics taken the beginning of the year, here's a link:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/55163-my-mixed-reef.html

I have seen one of these pico tanks similar to yours in action and gotta say when stocked rght look real nice but one thing is certain u have to be very picky with corals 1 should only put gems in there goodluck with yours looks very nice more pics por favor :bigsmile:
I like them, my original plan was to build one just to test out LEDs, but I think I'm keeping this one. I think I'll fill it up with zoas.

Man, the light on that thing is harsh.

Sweet build though, and +1 to the scared about drilling...especially on a round edge like that. Holy smokes...I thought I was a chicken not wanting to drill a 125g. Like Bt said....at least cost of replacement wouldnt be bad.

Im not sure if its just the picture, but the lighting on that tank is so intense it almost looks like a washed out B&W photo. Still kinda rad though.

The light is strong no doubt about it but because it's mostly Actinics (4xblue, 1xwhite LEDs) makes it difficult to take pics but it looks great in person. I also have a 3xb, 2xw LED, I get better pics and growth with this bulb but it doesn't looks as great in person...trade off I guess.

Man, I'm really thinking about trying something like this :) Probably can get the vase from a hobby shop for $10 or so, and wouldn't cost much to do it except for the light.

The vase cost me $12 at the local AJ right....unfortunately it was the only one they had in stock and I've stopped by there a few times since because a few people have asked, but they didn't bring in any more this size. You could try a store like Target, "Bed, Bath and Beyond", or Home Goods if you have these in your area.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back