My DIY 4.5g Pico Vase Project

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to try this when I get some free time. You can beat a $10 tank, haha. Would be a nice pico tank to sit on my computer desk :) Thanks again for sharing

OP
OP
ReefMP

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched back from the 4xb + 1xw BoostLED to the 3xb + 2xw BoostLED PAR30 bulb. Not as blue and I get better pics but I prefer the 4/1 combo better in person. Here are a few updated pics:

DSC_1263_1.jpg

DSC_1262_1.jpg

OP
OP
ReefMP

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it! Main display is awesome, but that is one of the coolest picos I've seen!
Thank you...good to know I achieved what I was going for "cool" :music:

That is a killer little tank. Would be awesome to have it sitting on the other side of the wall in a different room.

Both tanks are in the basement, I thought about drilling a hole through the floor and running it upstairs somewhere:) It looks good on the bar, but whenever we have a big party and everybody's drunk, I'm always worried that some idiot would pour their drink into it and contaminate my entire system, got no idea how often I've heard "the fish need a drink".....I would have to kill that person.

Alattner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank is really sweet looking it is by far one of the coolest nano's ive seen keep up the good work

OP
OP
ReefMP

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool it would look great with zoos and shrooms

Yeah, I plan to fill in the spaces with zeos and shrooms. For some reason I've always had a hard time keeping shrooms in my main system, but I'll give it a try in the vase, the only difference is lighting.

Just curious as to what kind of lighting you have on your main display tank???

Nothing special, it started out as a cheap no-name fixture that I took apart and did a DIY setup. I'm running 3 WorkHorse5 ballasts with one sheet of polished aluminum bent to form individual reflectors over each bulb. However, I'm running good bulbs, 3xATI Blue+, 1xATI Aquablue, 1xKZ Fiji Purple, 1xUVL SA. When taking pics I only run 4 of the 6 bulbs, I turn off the UVL SA and one of the Blue+ to avoid the pics being too blue.

Awesome Pico Tank!

your tank is really sweet looking it is by far one of the coolest nano's ive seen keep up the good work

Thanks guys, since I started this vase, I've seen quite a few reefers starting them up and I've seen some cool ideas

Jolene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to thank you for posting the pic of your main tank. You inspired my husband to allow me to have my tank in wall with a tank room in our new house. (He was more excited about the bar :neutral:)

OP
OP
ReefMP

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to thank you for posting the pic of your main tank. You inspired my husband to allow me to have my tank in wall with a tank room in our new house. (He was more excited about the bar :neutral:)

Cool, can't wait to see your setup. I like the clean in-wall look, my setup was inspired by SunnyX's first in-wall tank, he's had a few great tanks since but his in-wll is still my favorite reef tank. If I had to do it again, one thing I would do different is to build it with easier access from the front of the tank. I have a 5" flip-up across door in the front that I use when feeding the fish but if I ever have to stick my hand in there it's almost impossible so I usually have to scrape the glass from the back of the tank which sometimes result in breaking corals....just something to consider when building your in-wall.

The bar is definitely a plus :wink:, usually when we have a party there are so many people around the bar it feels like a club/bar and everyone like looking at the tanks.

Last edited:

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when first looking at this thread, the little circular thank made my jaw drop....then i saw your DT and my jaw slammed to the floor and out came OOOOOOMMMMMMGGGGGG that is so beautiful

OP
OP
ReefMP

ReefMP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I just realized I envy you, lol.

when first looking at this thread, the little circular thank made my jaw drop....then i saw your DT and my jaw slammed to the floor and out came OOOOOOMMMMMMGGGGGG that is so beautiful

Thanks Justin and Mimic, this hobby is fun and a great learning experience. My wife is not really into the hobby as far as taking care of the tank or feeding, etc. but I've been lucky where she's cool with me doing my thing as long as I don't spend all my time on it....and when people come over, she's the first to want to show them our tank, that's the only time she shows any interest lol. I can't wait to setup a bigger tank, all sort of ideas rolling around in my head lol.

Last edited:

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you posted this...cause I was seriously in Walmart last night and was going to pick up a vase to do this. I even had the g/f talked into going to Michaels to pick up the "tank".

Stand proud, cause she actually looked at the Pico and your display tank many times and liked it....which is super rare :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back