My DIY 4.5g Pico Vase Project

Can you tell us what you used for the bulkhead on this? It seems like a normal bulkhead wouldn't make a good enough seal. Thanks!
 
I'm glad you posted this...cause I was seriously in Walmart last night and was going to pick up a vase to do this. I even had the g/f talked into going to Michaels to pick up the "tank".

Stand proud, cause she actually looked at the Pico and your display tank many times and liked it....which is super rare :)

That's great, anything to help a fellow reefer :bigsmile:

Can you tell us what you used for the bulkhead on this? It seems like a normal bulkhead wouldn't make a good enough seal. Thanks!

My guess would be a uniseal rosebud. They are cheap and work very well on rounded tanks/containers like that.

Roonie is correct. It's a uniseal....a flexible bulkhead that takes the shape of the container. Works great.
 
Wow this is the first time catching this thread and i love the Vase idea. You did a great job. Also you other tank looks incredible!! Kudos!
 
That is one awesome vase pico. I never really understood how the vase pico works, but you are obviously doing it flawlessly.
 
Wow this is the first time catching this thread and i love the Vase idea. You did a great job. Also you other tank looks incredible!! Kudos!

Thank you.

That is one awesome vase pico. I never really understood how the vase pico works, but you are obviously doing it flawlessly.

Thanks. I saw a vase a while ago on youtube and thought, that's a cool little project with lots of room for creativity so I gave it a shot. Since I started the vase around last October, quite a few others have done similar setups with great results. Initially it's a challenge but if done correctly, you encounter space restrictions fairly quickly. Now that I've done it, I'm considering taking down the tank, getting tired of maintaining multiple tanks even though the only maintenance on this particular vase is cleaning the glass every once in a while, but I still have to feed it.
 
That's an adorable little setup, ReefMP. I could see you putting several of these all across the bar.
 
Thanks. I saw a vase a while ago on youtube and thought, that's a cool little project with lots of room for creativity so I gave it a shot. Since I started the vase around last October, quite a few others have done similar setups with great results. Initially it's a challenge but if done correctly, you encounter space restrictions fairly quickly. Now that I've done it, I'm considering taking down the tank, getting tired of maintaining multiple tanks even though the only maintenance on this particular vase is cleaning the glass every once in a while, but I still have to feed it.

So it was more of a challenge for youreself to see if you could do it and not really a longterm project. I am sure a vase would get boring once you ran out of space.
 
That's an adorable little setup, ReefMP. I could see you putting several of these all across the bar.
Thanks. I can't say that didn't cross my mind :bigsmile:


So it was more of a challenge for youreself to see if you could do it and not really a longterm project. I am sure a vase would get boring once you ran out of space.

We're all addicted to this stuff, but every once in a while I think about getting out of the hobby because life is just busy (I've been into saltwater for ~12 yrs), however with a larger tank that's usually easier said than done...by the next day I'm usually into it again. With a small tank like a vase on the other hand, it was challenging at first....then OK I did it, not much more to do with it, look at it the next day and still feel the same way, that's when you know it's time to get rid of it. It wasn't a short-term plan initially, just turned out that way.
 
I absolutely love your vase. It's stunning! Curious, how tall and wide is it? Would love to try this one day.
 
Here's a little side project I started about 3 months ago to test out LEDs...some pics of my diy pico vase.

vase1.jpg


drilling1.jpg


Overflow/Return:
Overflow1.jpg


DSC_0168.jpg


DSC_0175.jpg


DSC_0192.jpg


DSC_0194.jpg


DSC_1094.jpg


DSC_1101.jpg


DSC_1080.jpg
Hi! I know this is a super old thread but I’ve been wanting to do this exact thing for years. Do you have any new pointers since you built this? Anything you would do different? I was going to 3D print the overflow/return.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new