My emerald crab has fleas?!

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But seriously - there appear to be some sort of small crustaceans swarming over the claws of my emerald crab. I was amazed to see how many there are and how fast they move! I'm not sure if they are causing any harm to the crab, nor what I would do to treat them if they were.

I've seen similar reports in a couple of older postings on R2R and other forums, though I haven't seen any sort of definitive ID. Anyone know what these are?

Video1:

Video2:

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an expert but I think it’s larvae from the crab. It doesn’t seem to be irritated. Do you have multiple crabs and how long have you had it?

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an expert but I think it’s larvae from the crab. It doesn’t seem to be irritated. Do you have multiple crabs and how long have you had it?
Just the one emerald crab (I also have a porcelain crab and several hermits, but I assume you mean of the same species). Have had it for just over 4 months.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems to be a pattern and not random
very cool and clever observation - like it

and nice pictures, what is you camera arrangement?

Arcticreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to the thread....but I agree with a @Aboynamedsous2. Just found these in my tank and identified them as crab lavae under a microscope. Waiting to see what they will do if they grow. Did you get a crab explosion in your tank a few months later?

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to the thread....but I agree with a @Aboynamedsous2. Just found these in my tank and identified them as crab lavae under a microscope. Waiting to see what they will do if they grow. Did you get a crab explosion in your tank a few months later?
I never found anymore crabs. I haven't seen my emerald for a while. I'll have to look next time I see him to see if he still has them.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back