Fleas and fish tanks

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a serious post regarding fleas and fish tanks.

I have dogs and a cat in my home and despite them all being on flea medication, I have fleas all over the house. I have tried doing powder in 1 room at a time but I’ve been told they need to be killed all at once for this to be effective.

Why am I posting here and not a dog forum? I have LOTS of fish tanks in the house. I am at my wits end between the dogs itching and myself itching. I feel like using a fogger/smoker/bomb is my last resort to ensure the whole home is taken care of. I am concerned about my fish tanks because I’ve never done something like this and now is not the time to experiment.

Has anybody else been in my situation where they used some sort of whole house flea medication and was able to successfully protect their fish tanks? For the small tank in my room I’ve just covered it with a towel and I have been successful, but my biggest tank is 7 feet and that’s where the most valuable livestock are. I really need suggestions on what would work and not just what people think might work.

Also, do people have suggestions on what brand of flea medication might be safe in case some wound up in the water?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd assume you could handle it the way people have handled things like termite fumigations with their tanks - cover the tank securely with a plastic wrap:

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What medication are you using for the animals. I discovered a lot of the OTC flea meds aren't cutting it anymore. Last bout of fleas I went through, I used a combo of vet prescribed oral meds and some light insecticide spraying (away from tanks) and nipped the problem in the bud. I used Alpine WSG for the insecticide, it was recommended by a pest control rep I'm friends with. I'd spray the room and keep the dogs out for a few hours after I sprayed.

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What medication are you using for the animals. I discovered a lot of the OTC flea meds aren't cutting it anymore. Last bout of fleas I went through, I used a combo of vet prescribed oral meds and some light insecticide spraying (away from tanks) and nipped the problem in the bud. I used Alpine WSG for the insecticide, it was recommended by a pest control rep I'm friends with. I'd spray the room and keep the dogs out for a few hours after I sprayed.
For their flea medication they take monthly prescribed medication (pills). For the home, I’ve been using Pet-Armor powder/spray.

OP
OP
P

Pufferlover95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd assume you could handle it the way people have handled things like termite fumigations with their tanks - cover the tank securely with a plastic wrap:
Thank you, I will check these out.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fogged all the floors with Gentrol (one of the only fish-safe flea treatments). I also setup some flea traps.

The flea medications for pets that make body fluids toxic to invertebrates really should be working. I took moxidectin myself and could see dead and dying fleas as a result. This took care of things rather quickly since their sole food supply was poisoned.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a flea problem with our dogs and cat and I used every OTC known to man, the last I used was Seresto collar. At my wits end I went to my vet. He said the market is full of Chinese pirate products that don’t work. He gets his Seresto collars from the company. We googled the pirated Seresto containers and ours and the ones we had bought from the stores had the subtle differences. No fleas in 5 years. We use this product on the carpet, no chemicals and you can google how it works.
05E003D1-357F-4EF6-B8AE-48CB03279E56.png

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Golf Course Superintendent here. Bayer max force. Contains same active ingredient as top spot for dogs and many others. Broadcast in your yard. No more fleas. Kills eggs and puts a barrier down. I use it once a year in Florida with 3 Great Danes and never see a flea.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems this thread has become about flee products and not about how he can protect his systems while using a fogger.

Lets get back on track...

I had a similar problem with meal moths, and I had to fog ( along with other measures) to completely eradicate them. My tanks did fine.

I went to the local U-Haul and purchased a big roll of shrink wrap. I completely covered my tank in drop cloths and used the shrink wrap to hold everything securely in place.

Upon completion, I unwrapped everything, did water changes and dropped carbon in the sumps.

The fish survived and the moths are gone.

Dom

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the dogs are taking vet prescribed flea meds, there should be no flea problem. There should be no reason to spray or powder the house. What brand meds are the dogs taking ? OTC flea control does not work as effective as prescribed flea meds like nex gard

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back