My emerald crab just gave birth

TTipsyDragon

Everyones Favorite Reefing Dragon
View Badges
Joined
Jul 31, 2024
Messages
339
Reaction score
329
Location
Orlando
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did not even know she was going to spawn I was about to go to bed and noticed it out the side of my eye. So sorry about the bad video I was holding my flashlight trying to capture it.


 
That’s cool you were able to get a video of it!
 
It's a very cool video! I have never seen that before.
 
Just wanted to give an update since this is quite rare event. I have hundreds of megalopa stage crabs. Could either be pom pom or emerald since I saw them both spawn.

1000002190.jpg


1000002176.png


Here's a video of them moving and running away from a turbo snail. Interesting observation. The turbo snail will not eat them and it won't crush them. I saw one go under the snail and the snail made little pockets to make sure not to crush the crab. Very interesting

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pHVzwsBfjevcs8736
 
Super cool! Do we expect any of them to live? I don't know anything about captive spawning of crabs.
So far they are doing well have a few hundred. I would probably be the first in the hobby / industry to do it if I can pull it off
 
So far they are doing well have a few hundred. I would probably be the first in the hobby / industry to do it if I can pull it off
Sounds like if you want to have a crack at them surviving you need to:
1. Start feeding phyto ASAP.
2. Remove them from the display tank as they'll just get eaten by their parents or other things.
 
Sounds like if you want to have a crack at them surviving you need to:
1. Start feeding phyto ASAP.
2. Remove them from the display tank as they'll just get eaten by their parents or other things.
I think I'm just going to keep on doing what I'm doing. They are past the phytoplankton stage they are to big. Nothing in my tank wants to eat them yet but if they get a little bit bigger I might provide them with protection inside my display. Everyone that has attempted to remove them from the display has failed. So I'll just Yolo it since they are doing better than what I have seen so far and are already in the juvenile phase
 
I had this happen with one of my sexy shrimp. Something made me get up in the middle of the night and check on my tank, something just felt off. Woke up to find these all over the place. None of them survived unfortunately, it was still cool though.
PA040576.jpeg

PA040570.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new