OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the details! Info about these guys is pretty sparse.
No problem!! Yeah it’s VERY sparse so I had to go off of what I knew about the other guys in the same genus and if I’m honest I don’t see much difference between them :)

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem!! Yeah it’s VERY sparse so I had to go off of what I knew about the other guys in the same genus and if I’m honest I don’t see much difference between them :)
Good to know. Mine is gorgeous, and eating like a pig. I’m so psyched.

Have you found yours have become more gray over time?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Mine is gorgeous, and eating like a pig. I’m so psyched.

Have you found yours have become more gray over time?
Actually, I haven’t noticed any of the dull colouring these fish are said to get. Got any pictures of yours? Also what are the other fish in your tank with him?

If I’m honest after seeing previous photos he seems to have coloured up MUCH more than what he was originally. He was originally a grey full colour but in my tank he’s become a beautiful blue colour

Last edited:

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I haven’t noticed any of the dull colouring these fish are said to get. Got any pictures of yours? Also what are the other fish in your tank with him?

If I’m honest after seeing previous photos he seems to have coloured up MUCH more than what he was originally. He was originally a grey full colour but in my tank he’s become a beautiful blue colour
That’s awesome. Mine was already reallllly bright at the LFS. He looks awesome without any special lighting.

He is HARD to get a photo of. Here’s the best I could do. He’s in a weird setup/grow out tank right now. He’s with a small timor wrasse, a tail spot blenny, a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp, and a verrrry small purple tang. So far, so good.

Attachments

• B066BD6E-A6D0-4BAA-8596-DD654FF36770.jpeg
    B066BD6E-A6D0-4BAA-8596-DD654FF36770.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome. Mine was already reallllly bright at the LFS. He looks awesome without any special lighting.

He is HARD to get a photo of. Here’s the best I could do. He’s in a weird setup/grow out tank right now. He’s with a small timor wrasse, a tail spot blenny, a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp, and a verrrry small purple tang. So far, so good.
You have a beautiful purple tile!! I love these fish, really do want to grab a second tile so now I’m fighting between replacing my Jade with another wrasse or a tilefish.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a beautiful purple tile!! I love these fish, really do want to grab a second tile so now I’m fighting between replacing my Jade with another wrasse or a tilefish.
Thanks! So you think he’s a purple, not a flashing? I honestly have no idea.

Edit: Oh, it totally is. Who knew haha

Still love it!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my LFS has a nice sized purple in at the minute (I think actually it’s a bit larger than the Flashing tile in my tank at the moment) and the debate on grabbing it is getting to me. I’ve been eyeing its price tag (Since it was in QT for a while) ever since it first showed up.

Also, my BIG issue with these fish when in QT is if they’ve been through copper. These are some of the most sensitive fish to copper and will be left with copper burns on their gills if it’s kept uncontrolled or on the higher side.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my LFS has a nice sized purple in at the minute (I think actually it’s a bit larger than the Flashing tile in my tank at the moment) and the debate on grabbing it is getting to me. I’ve been eyeing its price tag (Since it was in QT for a while) ever since it first showed up.
Are prices better, or worse, for you guys in the UK than here in the states?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are prices better, or worse, for you guys in the UK than here in the states?
The one in my LFS at the minute is £99 which is equal to 133.42 USD. Flashing tilefish are MUCH pricier at £108 (I think it was higher actually) which is equal to 145.55 USD.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish REALLY tested my stress levels last night during feeding. He was casually hiding in his cave and as I fed them, he decided to shoot up as fast as possible. SOMEHOW he hit my hand in the middle of the tank and managed to go down a 5’ drop. I thought he landed back into the tank but didn’t hear a splash. I then heard the flopping on the carpet and looked down (This was only seconds after he jumped out the tank) I had the instant thought of grabbing a net and spent a few seconds trying to pick him up he got into the tank after about 30 seconds total, he didn’t flash at all in the tank or outside of it and is happily living in the tank again.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS happened to have one. I got it for $115.
They’re totally worth it if it establishes and flashes even when not stressed (I find this to be the biggest hint to them being established in captivity).

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look forward to hearing you add to this!! Beautiful specimen too :)
Is he flashing and not stressed?
He was flashing quite a bit during acclimation, but has been pretty solid baby blue ever since. He’s not using the plethora of cave options he has, but I’m sure he’ll find them with time.

Nervewrackingly, he ate in the store, but hasn’t had a nibble since arriving. I’m hoping it’s just the stress of another move and he’ll eat soon.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was flashing quite a bit during acclimation, but has been pretty solid baby blue ever since. He’s not using the plethora of cave options he has, but I’m sure he’ll find them with time.

Nervewrackingly, he ate in the store, but hasn’t had a nibble since arriving. I’m hoping it’s just the stress of another move and he’ll eat soon.
Once he finds a cave and sets up home he will eat :)

Mine didn’t eat or even show his face for 3 days. He swam around a tiny bit before darting into the caves after acclimation. I acclimated mine for 30 minutes just temperature, I can’t remember if he flashed or not though.

So yours flashes while just swimming around? Or, at least, poking its head out?

funny you say this, literally JUST now he was flashing while poking his head out of his cave. Yeah he flashes at any reason, if I was to compare it to another fish it would be a flasher wrasse.

I also wonder if flow is different, he normally came out and swam everywhere when the pumps were filled with algae and still giving a bit of flow but not as much as a freshly cleaned pump will. After cleaning the wave maker, he’s been in hiding longer. Now he may be hiding much longer due to the jump but he has definitely recovered from it.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once he finds a cave and sets up home he will eat :)

Mine didn’t eat or even show his face for 3 days. He swam around a tiny bit before darting into the caves after acclimation. I acclimated mine for 30 minutes just temperature, I can’t remember if he flashed or not though.

funny you say this, literally JUST now he was flashing while poking his head out of his cave. Yeah he flashes at any reason, if I was to compare it to another fish it would be a flasher wrasse.

I also wonder if flow is different, he normally came out and swam everywhere when the pumps were filled with algae and still giving a bit of flow but not as much as a freshly cleaned pump will. After cleaning the wave maker, he’s been in hiding longer. Now he may be hiding much longer due to the jump but he has definitely recovered from it.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Glad to hear he’s doing well.

Besides my CBB, this is hands down the coolest fish I’ve ever owned. This might take the number one spot. I hope I can keep it happy for many years to come.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear he’s doing well.

Besides my CBB, this is hands down the coolest fish I’ve ever owned. This might take the number one spot. I hope I can keep it happy for many years to come.
Haha, same thing over here and that’s saying something! I’ve got 2 “Difficult” level fish that I’ve kept for 2 years now and this guy makes a 3rd that is SO much fun to keep. I hope this thread helps you to keep your guys living and hope you can add on to anything! Several experiences is so much better than just one :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back