ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 220 gallon main tank + 60g tank & 80g sump all connected for total of ~350g system, mostly fish. I have probably 30 fish between 2 tanks, small number of corals. I never had any nuisance algae problems until I added 4xT5's to my Orbit Pro Marine LEDs and GHA seemed to sprout like weeds, strongly attached to the rocks. I have always had higher Phos of around 0.15 on ave. I tried changing circulation, adding snails, reducing light, etc. Nothing worked. Within 3 months of GHA first appearing it was looking like my backyard lawn.

Then I purchased Fluconazole and administered it once per recommended dosage 20 mg/gal. Two-three weeks later, my results after high anticipation... were - nothing. No change whatsoever. GHA was growing & happy.

Then I added PhosFree (Lanthanum Chloride) and pair of tuxedo urchins. Within a week, every bit of GHA was gone. Initially I added 4-5 ml of LaCl2 per gallon of RODI in ATO. A week later I changed to about 1 ml for every 1 gallon of ATO. Solution mixes in my ATO and I have it set up through Apex to add about 10 gallons a week of RODI water. Now, a month later I have stopped adding LaCl2. My Phos is down to about 0.03-0.06. I'll continue to monitor but at least for me, that's what made the difference.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great read – thanks for posting!!

BTW if you see sprouts ever again, consider this rather than the hands-off approach:
Algae Cure!! Spot Treating Algae With Peroxide

It's true that if you let it, algae will become established. Once it is, it's a stronger beast, harder to beat back.

So get it early! Add CUC early! Spot treat early! etc. :)

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diadema sea urchins did it for me. :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back