My experience with melanarus wrasse

ImHereForTheCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share my experience with the Halichoeres melanurus. I've had this guy for about two weeks now. One thing I have noticed so far is his appetite. This guy can eat. I feed all my fish 2 times a day with brine shrimp and he still is on the hunt 24/7. I also feed all my coral brine shrimp 2 times a week. This guy will pick the food right out of their mouths. My tank now looks like a snail cemetary. I love this fish! Such a personality. Very passive fish with my starry blenny and chromis (so far anyway). Swims all day, I've actually only seen him burrow one time when I first added him. Even frightened he darts in the rocks then comes out a few seconds later. Very active. I attached a photo of him stealing food from a coral right after I just fed him.

Screenshot_20181103-155304_Video Player.jpg

OP
OP
I

ImHereForTheCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He sleeps in the sand so be sure not to put corals in his sleeping spot or he will move them. Great addition!

Yep! Thats my favorite part of the Halichoeres family lol i had another Halichoeres that did nothing but hide in the sand. I'm surprised how active this guy is.

OP
OP
I

ImHereForTheCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really pretty fish you have there.

Mine is among the most efficient eaters that I've seen. Make sure it gets something besides brine though. Mysis is a good one to mix in.

I alternate between brine and mysis. But he seems to favor brine by the way he goes into a frenzy.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My radiant male and male melanarus are awesome! Always out and beautiful. Great eaters! Nice fish! :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halo wrasses are an excellent addition to an appropriately sized reef tank. Excellent predator of many common pests, though literally murder on the CUC as noted. Hoevens/melenarus is certainly the most commonly seen. My personal favorite is the dusky, though it gets a bit larger.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a problem with melanurus and cuc but have heard some people being unlucky, I do believe its the minority though. Brine shrimp isn't a great food tbh. Its good for getting fish eating but is nutritionally poor long term. The best benefit is has is it acts like fibre or us. Add some meaty foods to the wrasses diet and you might see it go easier on your cuc. They do love krill, Mysis and mine loves picking cockles or mussels from the shell.

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My radiant male and male melanarus are awesome! Always out and beautiful. Great eaters! Nice fish! :)

I have a melanarus in my frag tank and was considering adding to my DT, but concerned about my astrea, cerith, nassarius and turbo snails. I am looking for an adorned, vrolik and red line, but the first two are hard to find. Are any of these hazardous to my snail population?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanarus in my frag tank and was considering adding to my DT, but concerned about my astrea, cerith, nassarius and turbo snails. I am looking for an adorned, vrolik and red line, but the first two are hard to find. Are any of these hazardous to my snail population?
They can all have the potential to eat CUC, especially at larger sizes. I’ve always found the wrasses worth it, I can replace my CUC! :D

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can all have the potential to eat CUC, especially at larger sizes. I’ve always found the wrasses worth it, I can replace my CUC! :D

Have you seen the volik and adorned wrasse available. I’m on email list with LA and no notifications for 3 months, but then I could have missed it.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen the volik and adorned wrasse available. I’m on email list with LA and no notifications for 3 months, but then I could have missed it.
Yes, I’ve had a few vroliks from LA and I’ve seen adorned on DD a couple times. An Adorned is less impressive in person unless a terminal phase male and even some of those are not too handsome. The Vroliks are less beautiful in person IME as well. I was disappointed with all three I’ve had, and find the Melanarus male to be more consistent and beautiful!

I know they’re common which is why I wanted to change it up. But I came back to them again and love mine.

CamInDFW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are beautiful and brutal all in the same breath.. They are one of the most efficient shrimp killers I have ever seen. Peppermint Shrimp were just expensive treats for mine :)

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are beautiful and brutal all in the same breath.. They are one of the most efficient shrimp killers I have ever seen. Peppermint Shrimp were just expensive treats for mine :)

I have a large melanarus in my Frag tank and a small peppermint shrimp and he’s never bothered him in the year the shrimp has been in frag tank. Must have a defensive shrimp to have survived this long.

CamInDFW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large melanarus in my Frag tank and a small peppermint shrimp and he’s never bothered him in the year the shrimp has been in frag tank. Must have a defensive shrimp to have survived this long.

That.. or your wrasse is very well fed and they friends, not food :)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Melanurus is definitely an invert muncher, but has left my corals alone (other than a little "test nip" phase it went through). Mine has been a bit of a jerk to my Blue Star Leopard Wrasse, but they have settled in to the point where they mostly tolerate each other. A fun fish for personality though (loves to dance for it's dinner), very curious and has proven adaptable (eats seaweed). I feed my fish reef frenzy since it's a wide variety of diet in one food source. Personally not a fan of brine shrimp as a food source since it's very nutrient poor for fish (basically like feeding them candy).

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

adorned and vroliks are essentially just a melanurus in different clothes. They reach the same size, have the same temperament and same risks ime. Red lines are smaller and about as safe as a halichoeres gets with cuc. TBH I've never had any troubles with any of those listed apart from a adorned/cosmetus that I saw eat a hermit. I'm kinda surprised people have found they are problematic as its normally only the bigger halichoeres that cause issues whilst these and the smaller ones are pretty well behaved.

I'm setting up a mainly sunlit tank at the moment and will be getting a adorned as they can be stunning imo, especially when seen in natural light as nature intended.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back