My experience with melanarus wrasse

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large melanarus in my Frag tank and a small peppermint shrimp and he’s never bothered him in the year the shrimp has been in frag tank. Must have a defensive shrimp to have survived this long.

I agree mine haven’t harmed my shrimp. I will say that when they reach about 6 inches they can be a bit more aggressive and dangerous to inverts but mine have been pretty good citizens. I’ve also always kept mine with many other wrasse, a gaggle of tangs, and angels.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I actually just used Coppersafe on Red Line Wrasse.Hanna checker made my life so much easier!

"4FordFamily, post: 5316552, member: 51404"]Copper, two times successfully. One time the fish got a spinal injury and survived until jumping out of a tiny hole. Copper power at 1.75 and a Hanna copper checker. This is our protocol (@HotRocks and I are close friends in real life and share just about everything including quarantining each other’s fish). The protocol we use is below:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/[/QUOTE]

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're beautiful fish. Male colours are amazing. I have a pair since 2-3 years and they haven't touched my shrimps or snails.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a very similar experience to everyone else— love that Wrasse. Lots of fun and extremely active, and ‘Yes,’— hungry for small snails and shrimp. Won’t hesitate to try to flip even large snails onto their backs to try to make a snack out of them. The only other fish he ever bothered was a Lawnmower Blenny, whom he terrorized when added to the tank, probably because of the similar size and body shape (and at the time, as a juvenile Wrasse, coloration) = perceived competition.

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are people's experience with multiple Halichoeres? I have a small transitioning christmas wrasse (h. claudia) and love the look and activity (although it can occasionally take a run at a nesarrius snail). Looking to maybe add another Halichoeres but not sure what go best together.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing Halichoeres will depend on tank size and which species.

What is the tank size, and which wrasse would you like to add? Another smaller H. sp like a chrysus would probably be fine in a 75 gallon or so.

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing Halichoeres will depend on tank size and which species.

What is the tank size, and which wrasse would you like to add? Another smaller H. sp like a chrysus would probably be fine in a 75 gallon or so.
90 gallons and I'm not sure which species...just looking for what might be a good fit (also have flasher and fairy wrasses).

OP
OP
I

ImHereForTheCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how often you guys feed and what do you feed? I feed twice a day, and after someone mentioned brine shrimp didnt have much nutritional value I feed mysis more often. Hes fat and will STILL be on the hunt for more lol guess I'll never have a flatworm or bristle worm infestation. I had a rather large CUC, 20+snails...since adding him I have like 1 snail left, worth it though. He also bullied my starki damsel. Removed starki. For others seeing what works I have the melanarus with a starry blenny and chromis. Swims along side the chromis and blenny no problem, bullied the starki damsel to the point I'm not sure the damsel will survive.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melanarus wrasse is starting to bother my nassarius snails when they are out of the sand during day time.

I noticed that he flipped this one nassarius snail and left it upside down. It looks like it is dead. I flipped it back facing down and it didn’t move all night long so it must be dead. The melanarus flipped it again upside down. But he didn’t eat the snail and just left it alone the whole time as long as it is upside down.

anyone know why? If he likes snails he would have eaten it already and I will have an empty shell.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back